Where or how did you learn scripting?

keoco

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  130

This question has confused me for a while, where did you guys learn how to script? i see people creating mindblowing scripts with endless scrolling of numbers and letters... and gibberish... is practice really the key? ==

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  386

This question has confused me for a while, where did you guys learn how to script? i see people creating mindblowing scripts with endless scrolling of numbers and letters... and gibberish... is practice really the key? ==

Actually if you will just learned the 'BASIC SCRIPTS' you can looked up in the /doc/script_commands.txt

where you can locate all the 'SCRIPTS' and their 'FUNCTIONS'

Regards,

Mindless

• Group:  Forum Moderator
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  10013

for me...yes...practice is the Key xD

alway refer to the doc file to get know of how each script command function..

see those sample script made by other...

on the begining..you can try "Copy" what other member did...but make sure you learn what they do from line to line..

understand each line...xD

if dunno or face some problem..then ask...haha

that's what i did in the past....

i keep BOOM some of my tutor inbox..

like...AnnieRuru / Brian / Dastgir / etc,..... :P

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  130

ohhh haha, so it is indeed practice... how long did it take you to be comfortable with scripting without the use of references/help?

If you just 'Interest' learning the 'rAthena' Languages Code, you will learn a lot from it. must be 'Patient' if you can do it, you can ask somebody to 'Debug' your script if you have problem with yours.

Regards,

Mindlessa

• Group:  Forum Moderator
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  10013

ohhh haha, so it is indeed practice... how long did it take you to be comfortable with scripting without the use of references/help?

erm....honestly......i alway refer to the doc

some script is simple...i have get use to it..so no need to refer..since it is embeded into my brain xD hahaa

• Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  392

I learned athena scripting years ago, when I was just a regular RO player on one of private servers. I was learning the game, and at that time, I found the easiest way to learn about RO quests, spawns etc was to look up eAthena npc folder. But I had to understand it first. C-like syntax was easy, cause I had already known C. I've read every letter in doc/script_commands.txt to understand variables and other stuff that was athena specific. After that and learning from few scripts that I was interested in as a player, I find out that I'm able to more-less understand any script. I learned good patterns and practices by reading more and more scripts that were somehow relevant to me, then I applied as Scripter to the server I had been playing.

Even with syntax highlighting and some basic autocompletion, I still need to refer to docs. There are just too many script commands to remember them all.

TL;DR> read docs, read scripts, practice

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1315

I learned scripting out of this: Basic_Scripting

After that come up with an idea and try to script it yourself. Through that, you'll soon learn what is possible and what isn't via scripting.

https://rathena.svn....pt_commands.txt

Link above is another great source of information. If you need something just search for it and you'll likely run into something. It's a good read and reference.

I still use it up to now and you'll likely use it every time you script something. I don't know anyone who doesn't.

Another great new source that didn't exist when I was starting was this: http://rathena.org/b...ng-for-dummies/

It isn't finish yet...Z3R0...but whatever is in there is great.

Honestly, I think scripting requires some amount of intelligence since logic is required in almost all the things. Also you're required to visualize how the script is gonna play out when it is actually in game. There's a lot of things to think about such as loopholes, bugs, etc...therefore yeah some kind of intelligence is required.

For a beginner, you should try scripting all the simple easy scripts yourself instead of just using someone else's work...then work from there. Also another suggestion, when you run into a problem, look at the map-server it will most likely tell you what is wrong almost all the time and try to fix the problem yourself instead of asking others. I think that helps in learning, you need to be persistent no matter how frustrating it can be sometimes. haha

I believe scripting is a continuous learning process since whenever you script something it just adds on to what you do know.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  221

I taught myself to script looking at other scripts :P I also use the script_commands.txt for more detailed and professional scripting.

I'm still teaching myself some more and more scripting!

And, yes, practice IS the key.

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  633

By looking at the Wiki and understanding the syntax. Looking others script and practice

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  967

Athena Scripting Reminds of C Programming

so i practiced alot of Athena scripting

Familiarizing to common Scripting

until now im not that Expert with Scripting

but i do know how to Script simple and average scripts

and thanks to BrianL and Annie for teaching me alot about Athena Scripting

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  103

If you are familiar with at least one programming language, to understand the scripting language is not such a problem, principally to read the necessary documentation.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  379

I learned ea script by practicing, for me the best way to learn quickly is to start a complex project that required you to understand a lot of things.

My first script was a mini game that I called "hit the mole" (a square with some mole npc that hide and unhide, you have to walk near and touch it, then there was a hammer fall effect and you gain one point; you have to get maximum of points).

The second script I made was a chess script (far more complex, need to learn how to optimize, the good use of variable, functions, organization, ...).

After this, I was able to make a lot of things (connect 4, hangman (string manipulation cheat), guitare hero, bomberman, and a lot of other things for my own prototype pserver - RIP). All the things I learned was by trying to cheat with the script engine, or by contest/challenge (annie, toasty, m3ttwur5t, having good days in the past...).

So for me the best way to learn is by having fun, having some rivals (of course !), and trying to make amazing things even if you don't have the knowledge to force yourself to learn a lot of things :P

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  52

i learn from another script, and you will learn fast if reading out quest script in npc/quests with a little exercise @.@

• Content Count:  615

lol @ Keyworld... my first script was also "Whack a Mole" lol...

In any case, I learned by example... Figured out something I wanted to do, browsed through the /npc/ folder for a script that did it, figured out how each thing ran, implemented it into my own script, and viola! I made a NPC...

The best thing is to read through every script you can find, and figure out how and what does what... Once you understand how the commands work, you can start piecing together one of your own...

http://ea.dj-yhn.com // helped me out greatly, although this is now outdated...

/doc/scripting_commands.txt always helps (but can be a pain, if you don't know what you're looking for)...

asking questions when you aren't sure (always ask, don't be afraid)

start with the basics... understand variables, understand scopes, then move on to harder stuff, and learn how that works...

I remember when I was sooooo excited when I first created a NPC that said something in game, I thought I was the shit... and then I created "Whack a Mole" and released it, it did great, people loved it, then I moved on to bigger and better things, and look where I'm at now? Sure it's taken me 6 years, but it was well worth it :)

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  206

I was hired as a GM Chief on a server a long while ago and had said that I would also learn scripting. I used the eAthena wiki and just practiced and read. I did quite a bit of research on various things. I also looked at other people's scripts and compared mine to their's and used that to look at different ways of doing the same thing. I entirely taught myself.

Edited by Shinon Yoshida

• Topic Count:  32

Someone helped me understand, but mostly I taught myself.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  499

plsss if there's someone who would help me how to establish even if its until the test RO! i just dont know how to properly do it! i have tons of question that mostly the guides does not represent! like the dates need to by synchronized... i dont know about lub and lua either and why is it that even though i have some latest files i still got some nil error palletes error hix. and other staff i do have the miruku version but still have errors T_T help me plsss add me valykrie_boyzz1992 YM!

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  38

Oh god, i couldn't imagine how i learn back then.. My programming knowledge is totally "zero".

I learned RO script when i was playing ScytheRO and Zairik is the one who teach those newbie's. The guide posted by Zairik (suppose to be easy to understand) took me really long to understand, not until i start to modify auto generated quest scripts. I even hardly understand 'mes' command but the idea suddenly pop up in my mind when i start editing other scripts.

I was glad i did not give up on RO scripting back then, as i then took a course on computer studies (the first time i ever take computer course in my life). Programming language in my college became "piece of cake" from my RO knowledge. All thanks to RO.

Once you understand scripting structure, there is no problem with thousands of pages. However, referring back can cause confusion or debugging. -__-

Edited by Elven

• Topic Count:  218
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1180

The problem is that without that base knowledge Elven refered to you won't have a successful server! You might be able to find a guild to walk you through a basic setup, but what happens the very first time you have an issue? Replying on rAthena forums for help might take a while and doesn't always even help. You have to learn the basics first! You need to be able to write simple scripts, then move to more complex scripts, then basic source coding, then how to set up a server (such as what documents need modified), etc... If you can't compile a server or know how to use a repository then your even more lost... You need to be able to use MySQL, VNC, TortoiseSVN, Dropbox, php, LUA, Notepad++, etc... It's not really something that anybody can or should be just mass teaching. However, I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but nobody should try to jump right into a server with little or no experience. You wouldn't try killing a Golden Thief Bug with your level 14 novice? Remember, that people INVEST there time in a server and crappy servers eventually go down in flames! It's not the server owners that take the hit! I started playing back in 2003 (I think that was the year) and I didn't know anything about the game, but I didn't make my first server until 2008! I held several GM positions and did a massive amount of work for other people, but I gained valuable experience! Even now my server is running, but I'm still struggling with making a website and installer! I'm still learning and adapting! There used to be a good website for pre-compiled server files, but I'm not sure if it still works. For some reason I think I still remember the address, SVN Release. Get a test server running on your computer and go from there! I hope this helps man and don't get discourged!

Peopleperson49

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  17

The only way that you can learn about the basic scripting is to make a talking NPC 1st. then read some tips in ea wiki. (really helpful) just follow step by step . and you will figure it out.

• Topic Count:  218
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1180

I learn to script my looking over the file in the doc folder and comparing stuff to the NPC's that were already made. The doc folder has examples of the different types of commands. Go through the list and make a basic NPC using that. Once you get them down combine those to make a more complex one. It helps if you have a idea in mind of what you want to build, find one in the server files to modify. Keep in mind that everybody learns different, so if that doesn't work then try pure memorization.

Peopleperson49

• Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  846

on the begining..you can try "Copy" what other member did...but make sure you learn what they do from line to line..

understand each line...xD

I used this method.

I began scripting by taking an already made quest npc and just editing the item ids and removing what I didnt need...then I started practicing by putting an empty notepad next to an already made script and start copying it that way to get the feel of how to do it by scratch...Once I was comfortable with it, I started learning what commands were in the already made NPCs and using them to make basic scripts like a poring item gathering npc. Then I began making more npc like basic talking npcs, quest npcs, and others... After that I wanted to try more harder npcs and make strings out of them...

It took me about 3 months to learn by myself without using the basic scripting guide or any help from the wiki or other members to beable to script from scratch...