About This File
This is a GRF tool I started to develop for my own personnal use, but I thought I'd share it since I've upgraded the UI. Its primary goal is to be easy to use while offering a wide variety of options and customizations. The software is quite stable and can handle large operations easily.
How to install
- Download the zip archive provided from the download link at the bottom of this description or directly from there : http://www.mediafire.com/?aflylbhblrzpz0h
- Install the application with GRF Editor Installer.exe; if you are missing a .NET Framework you will be prompted to download it.
- Once you are done, you can start the program from the link on your desktop.
- Overall speed is faster (or at least equal) than any GRF tool.
- Common operations : add, delete, merge, extract, preview, save.
- Undo and redo for any operation.
- It can open any GRF file.
- Clean and very interactive interface.
- Saving formats supported : 0x200, 0x103 and 0x102 (through the Settings page) and conversion to the Thor format.
- Instant filter and search options (example : "map .gat").
- File association and context menus integration for .grf, .gpf, .rgz and .thor (through the Settings page).
- Can rebuild separated images into one file easily.
- Drag and drop (with the ALT key, can be modified in the Settings page). This is a big part of the software; most of the items can be moved around within the application itself or from/to Windows Explorer.
- Sprite editor : a simple sprite editor with powerful features. Semi-transparent images can be added, you can easily change the order or replace images, etc. This tool can convert images in the wrong type by showing you multiple solutions (merging a new palette, dithering the image by using current palette, using the closest color, and a few more).
- Grf validation : allows you to validate a GRF with multiple settings. It can detect corrupted GRF entries, invalid sprites, empty files, non-GRF files, duplicate files and a lot more.
- Flat maps maker : generates flat maps from .gat and .rsw files. Useful to generate WoE maps or to fasten up the loading time.
- Patch maker : generates a GRF patch based on two different GRFs.
- Hash viewer : shows the hash code (both CRC32 and MD5) for files.
- Image converter : converts an image to any format requested (BMP, PNG, JPG, TGA).
- GrfCL : used to create batch files (.bat) which can automate tasks on GRF files. See the content in GrfCL.rar in the download for more information. This tool can be customized from the sources as well.
- Palette recolorer : creates new sprites by changing their colors (this tool is now deprecated).
- Client database editor : allows modifications of the database client files (txt and lua) with easy and simple tools. Work in progress.
- Requires .Net Framework 3.5 (SP1) Client Profile to run (3.5 or more will work as well).
- Automatically converts file name encoding to their proper values (you can change the encoding).
- Data virtualization is used as much as possible to preview files, meaning the files aren't completely loaded.
- Right-clicking an item will bring up the available options with that file.
- Preview file formats : txt, log, xml, lua, lub, bmp, png, tga, jpp, db, ebm, pal, gnd, rsw, gat, rsm, str, spr, act, imf, fna and wav.
- Services are "crash ready", meaning that you will be warned about a failed operation and no work will be lost (the application won't close and crash). It tries to continue operating even if it meets unsual conditions.
- Operations can be cancelled by clicking on the button near the progress bar.
- The warning level can be changed to avoid messages like "Please select a folder first."
- When prompted with an error, use Ctrl-C to copy the current dialog's content.
1) Previewing an act file, while showing the search feature
2) Preview of a model file (rsm)
3) Preview of GrfCL with the MakeGrf command
4) Preview of maps
5) Preview of Grf validation
6) Search feature (press Ctrl-F or Ctrl-H to bring up within a text editor)
Got a feedback? I'd gladly hear you out and fix issues you have with the program.
What's New in Version 1.5.0 See changelog
- [Added] Added icons to known file types in the list view.
- [Added] Added a simple GAT file editor.
- [Added] The executable now uses compressed assemblies (reducing the file size by a lot).
- [Added] Folders can now be "previewed".
- [Added] Folders have a new tab feature "Folder structure" which shows you various info about the node in the GRF.
- [Added] Improved the loading performance of the software (only required services are being loaded, not all of them).
- [Added] Database Editor can now read Hercules's item_db file (the file must end with .conf).
- [Added] RSM (model) files can now be previewed (if the model isn't being shown properly, don't worry about it! WPF 3D has issues with transparency).
- [Added] Added two new options : "Navigate Backward" and "Navigate Forward". This allows navigating through the files that have been selected.
- [Added] Undo, Redo, PositionUndo, PositionRedo all have their icons in the menu bar for easier access.
- [Added] Known files can now be viewed in a tree view style rather than the old plain text version.
- [Added] A debugging stack trace viewer is available through the Settings page. When running, this tool will track all the exceptions and report them to you (this is useful when issues are being ignored when they shouldn't).
- [Modified] Added files in the GRF are now locked (this feature cannot be disabled because moving files in Windows Explorer after adding them in the GRF will cause the GRF to be in an invalid state).
- [Modified] The Settings, Database Editor and Flat maps maker pages got an UI upgrade.
- [Modified] The previewing system has been remade and it can now offer a lot more options. As always, no uncessary information is being loaded so the performance is the same overall.
- [Modified] The encoding option has been moved to the Settings page since this option doesn't have to be set all the time.
- [Modified] Made the node selection smoother (when selecting a file with the Select command).
- [Modified] The interface for ACT files has been improved (I wanted to add directions for ages ;)
- [Modified] Changed the progress bar UI to show the cancel button all the time.
- [Removed] The older style (the orignal one that came with this application back in 1.0.0) is no longer supported.
- [Removed] The options "UI custom style" and "UI transparency" have been removed, but can still be accessed through config.txt.
- [Fixed] Database Editor's close button is now working.
- [Fixed] Settings in the tree behavior are no longer conflicting with each other.
- [Fixed] Bug when saving while the GRF is already being saved, made the GRF invalid and removed the original file.
- [Fixed] The installer required a version of .NET inferior to the one actually needed.
- [Fixed] RenamingService was able to rename files to "" even though it would say "Invalid file name".
- [Fixed] DeletingService is now able to delete files in chunk rather than one by one. The behavior has been changed as well.
- [Fixed] The assembly loader threw exceptions for custom themes; this is no longer the case. However, the basic default style will be applied.
- [Fixed] Using the merge tools required the opened GRF to be closed (this was never intended). This means you can open the source GRF with the editor and then merge with another GRF.