[Showcase] Rivendel Map From Lord of the Rings

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1335

Briefing & Concept

Hello!.

First of all, I must give big thanks to all members that posted their feedback about my previous map. Thanks a lot for taking your time.

Here we are again, with a new map in showcase. As the title says, this is a map based on Rivendel ... yes that awesome elven outpost fantasy land, that I'm sure all of us remember with our hearts... obvious, we are talking about that gold movie that is -Lord of the Rings-

rivendel_banner.png

Rivendel is a beautiful elvish town. It is so purish, with white and clean structures with elvish decoration on walls, roofs etc. The land is represented in the movie the most times with some kind of -gold sunset- light tones that certainly gives a really warm style. This place is covered with lot of big mountains, waterfalls, nature, and rives.

This request is from a new customer. I must say that one of the best I have worked for. He gave me a lot of details about the -idea- of how Rivendel is, but the most important fact is, that he had an extraordinary -patience- with his request... also he thrust me a lot to allow me do whatever I thought it would make the map look good with a lot of freedom.

In result, I'm really glad that this is one of my most beautiful maps I have ever made. In fact, this was my main purpose of the map. To do something really beautiful.

About this map

So, what do we have new on this map?

riv_plus3-1.pngriv_plus1.pngriv_plus2.png

The idea of this map is, to recreate that Rivendel land. To do that, First of all the entire sctructure of the main building is placed on mountains among all the areas, but... at the backside we have some really high alltitude mountains covered by big colorfull woods that covers those mountains as they fall to a river.

It was a priority to make beautiful panoramic views on the map. To do that I was in need to do almost all what I could by even adding manually leaves by leaves to enourmous trees, covering big mountain areas with woods.... Adding 6 trees variations with real life leaves on all the map, etc. Honestly I love to try new things about nature. I hope you will be pleased with what I did.

Another big part of this work was with models. I must say, I increased a lot on this area. Before this request, I could only import models with pre-existing textures on a mesh. But here, All the big structure elvish houses, bridges, temples, pillars, etc. were full UV texturized and polygonal edited by me.

I must say in advance, that these models were not like I picked some buildings and I added them. It was a really hard work to edit each. Some houses consists of maybe 20 models, with different alltitude and cropped all in pieces to make it compatible in RO.

Last, the map has an extra feature that I must say thanks to f0xxy that helped me greatly with the script that I wanted to add as a new feature among my maps. Continue reading for more details about.

Video ... watch it in HD 720p!

youtube_logo.png

Warning!: Map is not finished yet. Forget some random walk cells glitches and/or small fixes to do

Full 1080 HD SS

:: Map Sketch :: :: Full Map View ::

Screens are in Full 1920x1080 HD resolution. You can allways hit the image thumbnaills to check the images on full size, and check some details that can only be appreciated in HD resolution.

Rivendel Flat Panoramic Front View

This is the main lower base structure of rivendel. Two big elvish houses decorated with elf style on the roofs, pillars etc. A bridge on the left, a temple on the center with waterfalls, an elf dome on the left side ... and last, some colorfull woods on a far distance that you can see nearly on the camera. Beautiful view if you ask me, that I can easily use as a wallpaper on my desktop :P

flat_view_1.png

Rivendel Flat Panoramic Aside View

This correspond to the left area of the whole structure. A bridge, an elf dome, and the most important... the design of the big elf houses. They has some entrances with elf windows where I placed some benches. A very relaxing place for the users of this server

flat_view_2.png

Rivendel Flat Panoramic Top View

This is the upper part of this rivendel land. You can see 2 houses on each side, with a lot of small decoration and elf design. A huge elvish temple on the center, with big windows. On that area we have a great panoramic view that cant be possible to see it here, because the big zoom that I needed to take the SS, but I will show you later with details about.

flat_view_3.png

Rivendel Sky Lower plaza View

This is one of the main open areas of rivendel. A sky view... one plus of this map was the multilevel edition that I tried with some effort. I thought that I needed to improve that on my previous maps so here is the result. You will see a lot of small multilevels not only on the walkable areas, also on the bases of the structures that are on the mountains.

top_view_1.png

Sky view Middle Area, core of the map and temple

This is what I call the middle area. There are 2 houses with 2 floors on the sides. A mini plaza on the center, some stairs, etc. There we have the core area, a wide open area with a custom elvish texture I obtained somewhere and edited on the midle.

top_view_2.png

Sky backview of the Top Area

Here we have the top area. This is a backview of the area that shows the roof of the temple, and the core area of the map. Here we are at a really high alltitude.

top_view_3.png

First detailed SS. Bridge Entrance

When you enter rivendel, you have to walk on a bridge. This bridge -and other buildings- has some innotvation among RO maps actually, that you can walk on areas with a roof up to you. How this was possible? by making a bridge with open windows as that one... so, by a camera with the correct values on the clients, it is quite easily to walk on this bridge. High alltitude woods comes from the lower part, mountains, and finally some leaves that I placed manually to make the feeling like they are hugging the bridge from the outside areas. I think this is the area I like most.

detailed_view_2.png

Lower platform, detailed elf monument on center area

Here you can have a detailed look to the center area. We have a statue of an elf druid hero that looks really cool. Some elf style gates on the sides that I did by taking some models part here and there. The houses has some statues that I placed manually on each window... we have the elf art on that small plaza too, but in a lower scale form. To make a variation.

detailed_view_3.png

Elf buildings on the sides, open hangout areas

Each of those houses are really big. They have 2 open areas on the sides, with an elvish style.

detailed_view_4.png

Walkable Elf dome area.

You might remember this elvish dome, it appears on my initial image of this topic. That elf building is made from a lot of models... it was very tricky, since I had to use the same model and rotate it on exact rotations to make it look as it. There are some trees that covers the upper part to make it look beautiful. Perfect place for couples!

detailed_view_5.png

Big View from Balcon 1

If you remember my previous -top and flat views Images I posted- there are 2 big houses with 2 floors on each. Well, I thought that it would be awesome to add something as a balcon, with a high alltitude on each. So, when the users walk on there they can sit around and have a panoramic view of all the town. This is the panoramic view of the balcon of the first house (the one on the right)

detailed_view_6.png

Big View from Balcon 2

Same case as the previous one, but this one correspond to the one on the left. This panoramic view is for a lake that is on the left side of rivendel.

detailed_view_7.png

Middle Passage

This area connects the 2 houses, the lower base area, and the upper core area. It has some like a mini-plaza style with an elvish statue again, on the center. Some stairs on the back

detailed_view_8.png

Core Area

Well, this area is what I call the -core- area. It is a big open area with an elvish design on the center. It has some terrain edits on the walls on the sides, with some small models to increase the decoration. A welcome gate where you access with 2 female elf warrios that holds an eagle gives a welcome to those that may enter this sacred place!

detailed_view_9.png

Top Area, Temple

This is like the crown of all this place. The top area, the area with the highest alltitude on all the map... it is so glorious!. Again 2 elf warriors statues gives the welcome of this place. Some stairs that I did manually with terrain *I was in a need for this*. An elf statue on the center.... and the most important! if you take a look on the backside, we have a huge mountain views, that are REALLY FAR away. This was to increase the feeling that we are on a high alltitude and distant place.

detailed_view_10.png

Top Area, Temple

Ok... so this was my main purpose by making those big mountains on the backside. As I said before, to have Beautiful panoramic views was a priority on this one. Here is an example of those views on the walkable aside areas that, you can walk into the top temple. Yeah, maybe this will be the first custom map where you walk inside a closed building structure.

detailed_view_11.png

Night Screens

As I said before, I tried to add a plus on this map. I must say, I'm not that good with doing scripts, but I did some test and with a lot of help around this board... The idea was to replace the sakura and fallen leaves effects with some lamps and bubble lights effects when the Night is present on the map.

Those effect lights were added on those custom lamps made with nature branches that you see around the map *did someone said teldrassil :P*. But they turn on only with night present! I hope you will like this extra I was thinking for this map.

Detailed Night View on Core Area

When night is present, rivendel spirit spheres of lights awakes all around the area! also some lamps activates on all those wood lamps that grows naturally.

detailed_night_1.png

Details of the Lamps

As I said before, this lamps grows naturally and randomly on a lot of areas of the map. here we have one that just grow up between some benchs. Also, you can walk under some of those lamps and see how the effect looks on your character.

detailed_night_3.png

Lower Plaza With lights

Same lower plaza but with night present. Lamps turns on again here, as also on all areas around the map. It took me a while to add all those effects with scripts *as also adjusting gat height to have the correct height on each invisible npc* but there is. I like this a lot!

detailed_night_4.png

Panoramic View at night

Last SS! just a panoramic view with all the map at nightmode.

detailed_night_5.png

I must say, that I'm still fixing some small detailes on this simple script *that for me it was not that simple anymore for the fact, that the effect is not -loopeable- and that is a problem to me at the time I want to call this script and with other players present. But luckily my customer knows some good scripter that might fix this to make it full compatible when -other players- visit the map also.

I'm sure this one was a very progress for me, not all my requests becomes as this one.... As I said, I had a lot of freedom to try new things and try what I though it would look great. My customer by his own initiative, paid almost the double of the price when he saw how the map was becoming at the end. He is a truly a happy map owner now!

To all! Thanks for watching this map and ... thanks in advance for your comment! I appreciate every rating, like, comment or suggestion.

Thank you and see you all very soon.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  414

I am at awe... And I'm very speechless right now. O_O;;;

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  573

another super amazing map from olrox . /lv

• Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2192

Where do you find the time for making all these massive maps, models, textures, crap o_o

I am at awe... And I'm very speechless right now. O_O;;;

Thaaaaanks! :X

another super amazing map from olrox . /lv

Thank you pal! welcome back!

Where do you find the time for making all these massive maps, models, textures, crap o_o

In two words: NO LIFE!

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  224

Oh wow that's amazing o:

Good to see the lighting details :P

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3

De verdad bitch, me repugna tu mapa D:

Es la primera vez que veo tan detalladamente un video, te pasaste xD. Aunq me obligaste a cargarlo y verlo en HD ;__; VALIO LA PENA!

Tienes dos opciones, ponerlo ON o ponerlo ON n_n para que lo visite uno de estos dias, asi q ahi eliges la q más te convenga /ho~

Creo que el resto te lo dije por msn, me dejaste sin palabras xD. Sigue así, y deja los tacones cof cof.

PDT: Salado si es muy clara mi letra, ciego!.

De verdad bitch, me repugna tu mapa D:

Es la primera vez que veo tan detalladamente un video, te pasaste xD. Aunq me obligaste a cargarlo y verlo en HD ;__; VALIO LA PENA!

Tienes dos opciones, ponerlo ON o ponerlo ON n_n para que lo visite uno de estos dias, asi q ahi eliges la q más te convenga /ho~

Creo que el resto te lo dije por msn, me dejaste sin palabras xD. Sigue así, y deja los tacones cof cof.

PDT: Salado si es muy clara mi letra, ciego!.

No puedo dejar los tacones, aparte tu me obligas a usarlos! y cada vez mas altos (?) ¬¬ xD ,Al fin viste un vídeo mio completo ¬¬ ya era hora, y no te quejes, la próxima vez tardara en cargar el doble o el triple :3!

Y si me dejaste ciego con tu letra ..!..

Oh wow that's amazing o:

Good to see the lighting details :P

Thanks pal! and thanks for the support with the script. Thanks a lot!

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1245

Holy crap Olrox, this is amazing work. I really don't know how you found the time to do that considering all of the model import prep you had to do & designing all of the fine details. This is definitely one of the top best maps I have lived to see so far. Very impressive work Olrox. You went beyond the 10/10 margin with this new piece of work. You can't really judge how epically amazing it is with a simple number scale.

Holy crap Olrox, this is amazing work. I really don't know how you found the time to do that considering all of the model import prep you had to do & designing all of the fine details. This is definitely one of the top best maps I have lived to see so far. Very impressive work Olrox. You went beyond the 10/10 margin with this new piece of work. You can't really judge how epically amazing it is with a simple number scale.

Syouji, really thanks for that rating. I'm glad that you noticed that this one was really intensive work. I don't say this that openly in the most cases, but I will say it on this one, because truly this one took a lot of time to make it look as you can see. In every small and simple detail as rotating group of leaves ... as big details like adding manually the roofs of the houses to say an ex.

Yes it took me a lot of time. I think that I have to be thankfull to my customer that he had a lot of patience, and time to wait for this... contrary, the map wouldn't look as how it look now.

Thanks for your rating again.!

• Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  291

i cant say anything.. im having trouble finding or thinking words to say. aha. ill just give u a score.. 1000/1000 ^^ your are really a professional

Edited by v00m3r

Thanks mate! I really appreciate those words.

I'm really glad to see those comments. That motivates me a lot to continue improving and trying new things on mapping.

Btw. Topic edited, I forgot to add the [showcase] on Tittle

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  218

Holy ballz. This is so amazing! :OOOOOO

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  313

Olrox no sabía que dominabas el español :P así que te voy a escribir en este idioma ya que me expreso mejor ^^. Primero que todo no me canso de ver tus showcases son impresionantes! es idéntico a Rivendel viendo esto, creo que es posible hacer cualquier cosa que tu quieras si tienes el tiempo y las habilidades por eso me enamora cada vez más el Ragnarok y más viendo este tipo de cosas.

En cuanto al mapa esta precioso! los árboles, las cascadas las estatuas! todo todo está hermoso las lamparas están preciosas y la luz está muy bien puesta :) lo único que no me gustó fue que en ocasiones las texturas de algunos pisos y paredes carecían como de detalles, parecía un color sólido pero lo bueno es que no le quita la belleza al mapa!! Aprovechando, me gustaría invitarte a que te pasaras por el foro de DivineRO ya que es la comunidad hispano hablante que conozco y está afiliada a rAthena a que muestres tus trabajos, cuentes tus experiencias y por qué no :) uno que otro video sobre cómo haces estas maravillas, muchas gracias por mostrar esto! Te deseo lo mejor y que consigas muchos clientes con este último trabajo tan excepcional

Edited by Taeko

Olrox no sabía que dominabas el español :P así que te voy a escribir en este idioma ya que me expreso mejor ^^. Primero que todo no me canso de ver tus showcases son impresionantes! es idéntico a Rivendel viendo esto, creo que es posible hacer cualquier cosa que tu quieras si tienes el tiempo y las habilidades por eso me enamora cada vez más el Ragnarok y más viendo este tipo de cosas.

En cuanto al mapa esta precioso! los árboles, las cascadas las estatuas! todo todo está hermoso las lamparas están preciosas y la luz está muy bien puesta :) lo único que no me gustó fue que en ocasiones las texturas de algunos pisos y paredes carecían como de detalles, parecía un color sólido pero lo bueno es que no le quita la belleza al mapa!! Aprovechando, me gustaría invitarte a que te pasaras por el foro de DivineRO ya que es la comunidad hispano hablante que conozco y está afiliada a rAthena a que muestres tus trabajos, cuentes tus experiencias y por qué no :) uno que otro video sobre cómo haces estas maravillas, muchas gracias por mostrar esto! Te deseo lo mejor y que consigas muchos clientes con este último trabajo tan excepcional

Claro que domingo el español! Muchas gracias por tu critica. Las paredes fue algo intencional para hacerlas al mismo estilo que las construcciones. Quiza pude agregarles decoracion y lo intente, pero se veia raro con las paredes de las construcciones. Seria de cambiar ambas.

Gracias por tu comentario sobre mi mapa, agradezco que te guste tanto mi trabajo. Acerca de DivineRO, depende quizá me de una vuelta por ahi, gracias por la invitación!

Holy ballz. This is so amazing! :OOOOOO

Thanks for stopping by and post your comment about!. thank you :P

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  50

Honestly speaking, He'll really give you a map more than what you've paid for (add the fact that he charges very cheap). It's as if he makes the map out of great passion. He definitely love what he's doing and he does it with heart!

If you'll be a word, Olrox is the definition of a true and talented mapper.

Yet another amazing map from you sir!

We need more people like you!

And kudos to the map owner who doubled the payment :D

Edited by Venomenon

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  128

Woah!! Another great and amazing map from olrox again.. /no1

Honestly speaking, He'll really give you a map more than what you've paid for (add the fact that he charges very cheap). It's as if he makes the map out of great passion. He definitely love what he's doing and he does it with heart!

If you'll be a word, Olrox is the definition of a true and talented mapper.

Yet another amazing map from you sir!

We need more people like you!

And kudos to the map owner who doubled the payment :D

Hi! how have you been? Thanks a lot for those lines, and you are right, honestly I love to make maps :D I realized that I need only time to do a work with full inspiration. Time that sometimes I don't have.

Woah!! Another great and amazing map from olrox again.. /no1

Hi Zel! thanks. Thanks for leaving your comment about. And good to see you around this topic.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5

This map truly stretches the imagination of what is possible in RO mapping. Getting to work with Olrox on this map was a real pleasure - I really believe that Olrox can do anything when it comes to mapping. And while I have been impressed at every turn, I think the most unique feeling of all is seeing this map in a finished form.

For me, this map captures the same unique feeling that I encountered when I played RO for the very first time. Getting to explore the towns of Prontera, Morroc, Geffen, and Payon held this incredible sense of wonder as I immersed myself in the rich world of Ragnarok for the first time. I'll never forget what it felt like to experience the curiosity of playing RO and exploring the game as kid - and this map captures that for me all over again. It pushes at the boundary of what is possible, moving beyond the definitions of a simple map and entering into a world that is rich with detail, innocence, and wonder. There is something indescribable about how wonderful this map is - perhaps that's because Olrox has managed to capture something in this map that is really special: the same feeling that I felt when I played RO for the first time years ago. It's as though Olrox is no longer working simply with objects, models, and textures, but with intangible materials like the imagination, creativity, and wonder. Bravo!

Edited by Howl

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  374

Your map is perfect is white i love maps white olrox this circle is a custom model or a custom texture??

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/topview2.png/

this circle what have the green banks^^ thats circle is a custom model?? or only custom texture?

• Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  835

omg, it's feel so nostalgic and elf feel.... this map are awesome =) full rating. /lv /lv

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  566

Beautiful work Olrox. I really have no more words to tell you haha :P we need new words in the dictionary to describe how beautiful your work really is.

You really are the King of ro mapping!

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  66

Hide Olrox! Gravity is here! they want you badly! :D

This map truly stretches the imagination of what is possible in RO mapping. Getting to work with Olrox on this map was a real pleasure - I really believe that Olrox can do anything when it comes to mapping. And while I have been impressed at every turn, I think the most unique feeling of all is seeing this map in a finished form.

For me, this map captures the same unique feeling that I encountered when I played RO for the very first time. Getting to explore the towns of Prontera, Morroc, Geffen, and Payon held this incredible sense of wonder as I immersed myself in the rich world of Ragnarok for the first time. I'll never forget what it felt like to experience the curiosity of playing RO and exploring the game as kid - and this map captures that for me all over again. It pushes at the boundary of what is possible, moving beyond the definitions of a simple map and entering into a world that is rich with detail, innocence, and wonder. There is something indescribable about how wonderful this map is - perhaps that's because Olrox has managed to capture something in this map that is really special: the same feeling that I felt when I played RO for the first time years ago. It's as though Olrox is no longer working simply with objects, models, and textures, but with intangible materials like the imagination, creativity, and wonder. Bravo!

Wow! Thank you Howl! It was a pleasure to work with this one all along with you too.

Yes as you said I tried to add something really special on this one. I must say, that I really like to think out of the box at the time I'm doing maps. I allways try to offer new impressions among mapping with each request. Small or big details, all counts.

I'm really glad that you noticed it right away. Thank you again!!!

Your map is perfect is white i love maps white olrox this circle is a custom model or a custom texture??

http://imageshack.us...1/topview2.png/

this circle what have the green banks^^ thats circle is a custom model?? or only custom texture?

Hi! thanks for the review about this one. The circle is only a custom texture. It is placed on the ground :D

omg, it's feel so nostalgic and elf feel.... this map are awesome =) full rating. /lv /lv

Manabeast. How have you been my friend? haha. Good to know that you are around here. Thanks pal another rating from you makes me really pleased.

Beautiful work Olrox. I really have no more words to tell you haha :P we need new words in the dictionary to describe how beautiful your work really is.

You really are the King of ro mapping!

Adel, hi! don't worry, I don't have more words on my bad english to be really thankfull of every of your ratings since my first map I did 3 years ago!

Thanks again :3!

Hide Olrox! Gravity is here! they want you badly! :D

NO PLEASE surely they will koreanize me 18 hours a day and they will pay me luckily with rice! ;__;

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  74

As always your mapping skills are Epic, really great job Olrox!