[Showcase] Dota All Stars Map Port

Olrox

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1335

Hi.

I'm back into mapping. I know, it has been a long time since the lastest "map from scratch" work I did. But anyway, I'm back and ready to show you this one that enters into a new category that I will offer in my Map Services topic that I have to update.

I will call this as "Map Ports"

What is that? well, as its name, this is about porting maps from popular 3d games (actually games supported: Warcraft, League of Legends, World of Warcraft and Starcraft 2) into RO. This work is more about working with 3d models, modify them (if it is necessary since some models crashes and need to be re-edited to import them succesffuly), extract them, and import them into RO, to use it in your map, at a quantity above of 80 - 90% of custom models to your map.

But not only models. This one is about extracting also textures (of the terrain of that map), sounds (for ex. sounds of units, map ambienting). as also MP3 To improve the recreation of the map.

Obviously there are limitations with this. I decided to make this into an apart category, since the work with models it is too much (sometimes, more than the map itself).

Well enough, let's talk about the map itself now:

comparisson2.png

Yeah, that is the Dota Map. My customer asked me to do the map exactly as I could... but the most important was: the walkways and terrain structure to look near as possible of the original one.

Video of This map

youtube_logo.png

Watch it in HD 720p

== Sorry dunno why my Fraps, did my video, more darker as it was!, it is not that dark ==

• Map is about recreating the Dota All Stars Map. So I needed to extract models, (using 3ds Max and some plugins, since there isn't, or at least I don't now about a native export to 3ds) and import them into RO.
  • Map in Nightmode, but nightmode colors based in "nightmode" of warcraft 3 pass of time
  • I extracted some textures of the "ashenvale" forest from warcraft. So I used them for custom bushes, trees, leaves, stones, etc.
  • I extracted .WAVS files from warcraft data, to add them as custom sounds. So when you reach for ex: a Ziggurat of warcraft, you will hear screams just as in warcraft game
  • Map preservers very close the same walkway of dota all stars. I used warcraft map editor and a free template to port each walkway of my map. As also a lot of pictures for reference to do it well

First comparison

The first and most important comparison, is the sky view of the map. For me it is really near as the original. I know, it coulda be better... but at first I was working with an "old" dota version, so... anyway, here it is:

comparisson.png

Night elfs base

Just a view of this base. Let me tell you that all the models are "facing" south, just as in warcraft, because my customer requested it. He will disable camera rotation into his map, so that is the reason:

screeneAthena375.jpg

Example of Model imported

This is a custom model. Look at the bushes on its base, they have custom textures that I extracted from warcraft 3 Ashenvale data

screeneAthena377.jpg

Another ex. of Model

Here a Moonwell. Also with same bushes.

screeneAthena378.jpg

Night elf, hero area

Just the place where Night elf heroes spawn

screeneAthena376.jpg

Example of Terrain Walkway

Just to show how the walkways are in the nelf side. Some low level terrain elevations, and woods (woods with texture extracted from warcraft dota map trees.

screeneAthena380.jpg

Undead base overview

Those green lights are to simulate the "plage" gas that sorrounds the undeads base

screeneAthena383.jpg

Ex. of model

Just a Ziggurat. Btw, this one could be more bigger, but, ziggurats are small in warcraft 3 really.

screeneAthena382.jpg

Undead Side, walkway

Just an overview of this walkway. to compare trees, terrain etc.

screeneAthena381.jpg

Ex. of custom model again

There the lich king glacier. That was tricky since the model was only available from the "cinematic" data. It was a huge one btw, I had to edit the polygons of it to be usable inside RO... sorry about the "lich" sleketon that is inside of it, I couldn't import it, so I used a random skeleton.

screeneAthena385.jpg

Hero undead base

Just the place where heroes spawns. There is a graveyard, a blood fountain of power, and a tomb of relics

screeneAthena386-1.jpg

Some models of the undead base

Just another example

screeneAthena384.jpg

That's all. I hope you like it, also, please check the video to hear the sound effects I added.

Regarding Map requests, In short... I'm full! I have to do 2 christmas editions, and 3 maps from scratch still (one in the way, 2 pendings for some guys that reserved an slot the past 2 weeks)

Bye bye and thx in advance for taking your time by posting here in my topic.

Edited by Olrox
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  95

OMG WONDERFULL !

It must have been really hard to import and modify Warcraft 3's models to RO. Requires a lot of patience.

Comment on the lights on the ground, I think you should spread it more. It seems plain for me.

10/10 for you as always.

Keep it up Olrox ! One of the best mappers in rA.

Thank you! and thanks for your suggestion. Let me see what can I do with that.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1245

Very impressive Olrox. Love what you did with the place~ I've always enjoyed your map creations and hope something great can come out of this new one. 10/10

Thanks mate. I hope I can see more of your work in the near future too.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  383

Great work, your map seems really similar to the original one. I don't personaly like Warcraft design so that's not the most beautiful work you've done for me but the amount of work is quite impressive ans also texture used seems to fit to RO. I've tried to make Darnassus from WoW but it was a disappointement for me, I haven't succeed ;D

It'll be great if you can make a guide for rip models from Warcraft III or any other game. It can be an important ressource for newer creations ;D

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  241

HOLY SHIT , I CAN MAKE A DOTA GAMEPLAY FOR THIS :OOO

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  414

^- What he said.

As usual your maps are awesome. :)

Great work, your map seems really similar to the original one. I don't personaly like Warcraft design so that's not the most beautiful work you've done for me but the amount of work is quite impressive ans also texture used seems to fit to RO. I've tried to make Darnassus from WoW but it was a disappointement for me, I haven't succeed ;D It'll be great if you can make a guide for rip models from Warcraft III or any other game. It can be an important ressource for newer creations ;D

I'm really glad that you like it that much to post your review here :3!

I know. Warcraft 3 is an old game... the 3d engine is not as good as the RO one, so yeah this is not my most beautiful one :3, but yeah it is one of the most I've worked with.

Regarding the Guide:

I will do it. But quite honestly, I'm still new to this. Though I have started with 3d models about 8 months ago... I allways had an error by exporting them inside browedit. But no more.

What can I do for now, is, importing models from most of 3d games that their models can be exported into 3ds Max. Mind you, There is a limitation with models with a high amount of Polygons; RO can't handle that. But, it is possible to import them by cutting the polygons or faces, into a separated parts. So you can attach them all inside browedit, to compound a big model, that will work correctly.

Importing models from 3d games is more easy, since the textures are ready to be attached to the mesh of your model. Importing models from for ex. outside resources (as a google search of models in 3ds max) are more difficult, since the most ones doesn't includes the texture to fill the mesh, or at least, compatible with a 3d game engine.

Doing models from scratch is very hard. I was learning that a long ago, so far I coulda make some random cubes, and basic polygons.

Anyway, for now, I can make the guide of importing models. Ya know Actually I really dont have the time to do free releases, Maybe I can help with something like that. So nice people as you, and some other mappers that allways shares their work for the community will have a helpfull guide like this one to help and offer a new level of map work.

Though, I woulda make it only for people like you... but not for some leechers that I know that they will look for it, those ones that only cares for money , doesn't work for a server (that they might ask them to not share anything) and never have done a free release in their life.

Anyway, wait for the guide in about 1 week.? But hey, my English is bad :) you are warned

Edit: To all, thanks for your comments! I allways try to improve in each map I make, and I'm glad that you quite noticed it that much :3

Edited by Olrox

• Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  146

youre so good olrox... =) i am currently using your free released Dark Prontera map on my server .. im planning to ask you to do star warzy map if you can =) of course not for free .....

:3! thanks

Of course I can do it :3 let me know when you have time. Though, you will have to be patient, since actually I have a lot of pending work to do :3

You can add me in msn, or yahoo, or skype if you want.

Edited by Olrox

• Group:  Forum Moderator
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  10013

;) DotA is now inside RO....OMG !! xD

what a great map you have here ^^

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3

Caramel would be so proud *teary eyes*

"teary eyes" sorry i didnt know wjat the word was. Thx

Edited by Olrox

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  566

Holy crap, that's a huge map! xD I have never played WoW, but my bf likes it. lovely detail as usual. lots of models. speaking of models, I am also trying to get models from other games xD~ (mainly dragonica). we should totally talk over msn xD

anyway, from the look of everything this map looks like alot of work. But it's beautiful! 10/10

:*

I haven't seen you in MSN in a while ;)

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  835

overate map !! rate 10/10 full =)

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  530

YOU are so Amazing so PRO!

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  44

bro.. can you make a smaller map like this for me? the map is f*cking amazing but... its too big..

• 5 months later...

• Content Count:  1

Dota Script:

Thx do make this awesome map Olrox!

You did a really an awesome system. Congratulations :D

Regards.

• Content Count:  1

looking at how this script $ + dotaro map?

Edited by Gustavo Marra

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  139

wow... dota :D really nice map :D 10/10 for it.. make it smaller for PvP arena will be good :P

looking at how this script $ + dotaro map?

The script is not available sadly.

wow... dota :D really nice map :D 10/10 for it.. make it smaller for PvP arena will be good :P

Yeah I was thinking the same. But my request was to make it big. Thank you very much