Scheduled Forum Maintenance - 08/11/16

Akkarin

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3122

Hey guys!

We'd like to make you all aware of some forum downtime that has been scheduled for Tuesday 8th November 2016 for maintenance and upgrades. Click here for timezone clocks.

The forum will go offline around 10am GMT for an unknown number of hours while data is backed-up and upgrade scripts are ran.

During the downtime, the forums and rA wiki will go offline. If everything goes smoothly we will emerge in fabulous shiny new IPS4 forums. This will not affect the Github repo/issues/projects/wiki/code/anything. Please ensure you know how to get to our Github page while the forums are offline. Most of us already have Github bookmarked, but for those that don't, now is a good opportunity to hit ctrl+D. With the Wiki being moved to Github, our current installation will not be coming back online.

What does this mean for you? It means we will temporarily loose 3rd Party Plugins and Apps such as Advanced Tags and Prefixes and the Awards/Badges. They will be coming back shortly after the upgrade to IPS4, but at the moment there's no definitive date planned - it'll be when an IPS4 compatible version is installed. Other than that, all data will be updated to the new format. Files will be automatically inserted into the new Downloads suite. IP.Content will be merged into the new Pages App. Unfortunately, IP.Blogs will become a casualty and not be coming back for the foreseeable future. The data will remain within our database, however.

If it doesn't go as planned, and there's bound to be a few hiccups trying to convert 7GB of data, then we will stay with IPB3 until InvisionPower can look over our data and fix it for a clean upgrade. 

The rA team would like to say a big thank you to Nova and his server NovaRO for paying the upgrade and first 6 months bill of the IPS4 license. Not only is he one of our developers and invests his time in rAthena, he's now using his server to re-invest back in to the rAthena community. It's awesome when that happens, and by far doesn't happen often enough!!

Akky~ out.

Edited by Akkarin
Added link to timeanddate.com to show timezone difference
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  545

Blasphemy. You didn't tell me we'd be losing blogs...  /sob  There must be another way... All kidding aside, Blogs aren't utilized enough to merrit the cost I totally get that. Forum upgrades sound neat. Lots to look forward to between the shift to C++ and new forums. rA rises like a Phoenix!  /no1 

Regards,
~Azura Skyy

Blasphemy. You didn't tell me we'd be losing blogs...  /sob  There must be another way...

Regards,

~Azura Skyy

There was no more pennies in the pot to pay a license fee for software that no one uses.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  265

Thanks for the shout-out! This upgrade has definitely been a long time coming.

I'm glad to see rAthena moving into the next stage and ditch the buggy IPS3 add-ons that have been slowing the site down for years now.

Excited to see the changes take place! IPS4 is pretty sweet.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1096

giphy.gif

NO! PLEASE NO!!!!!!!! FOR WHAT? Did you saw IPB v4? This is biggest piece of shit with a lot of bugs and a lot of problems when i have ever saw before! Very shitty forum software, very bugged, a lot of bbcodes, plugins, messages, reputations, etc will be DESTROYED after upgrade!

Man, i have experience with this shit for few years, and i strongly not suggest to upgrade current rA board to this shit!!! Please don't break current forum software! If are you looking for good forum software and you wish to replace it (if you have real reasons for doing it) take a look to xenforo!

This forum software (xenforo) in few times less in resource usage then IPB, it has super nice resource manager, it has million of super nice plugins, very easy customizable, very big extension / themes database and support topics, very friendly and mega big community. Very, super easy managment, and ultra-fast. Very easy to merge from IPB v3 to xenforo 1.5.11. And it have mega easy ACL, mega easy options, i see only good sides at xenforo, then at  IPB.

Please, think about my post, don't break rAthena board for that piece of shit called IPB v4!

You don't even have ANY reason for doing it! Just because someone wants to do it!

Man, i have few IPB forums, and there are NO any security issue with current forum software, so there are no reason to  change it!

Look to herc.ws board, and look how many (mostly all) posts breaked because of bbcodes.

Man, i really strongly suggest not do what you want to do, and keep current version of IPB, but if nobody will develop security fixes for current IPB anymore in any future, switch then to xenforo, not to shitty IPB.

Edited by Anacondaqq

NO! PLEASE NO!!!!!!!! FOR WHAT? Did you saw IPB v4? This is biggest piece of shit with a lot of bugs and a lot of problems! Very shitty forum software, very bugged, a lot of bbcodes, plugins, messages, reputations, etc will be DESTROYED after upgrade! Man, i have experience with this shit for few years, and i strongly not suggest to upgrade this shit!!! Please don't break current forum software! If are you looking for good forumsoftware take a look to xenforo! This forum software in few times less in resource usage, it has super nice resource manager, it has million of super nice plugins, very easy customizable, very big extension / themes database and support topics, very friendly and mega big community. Very, super easy managment, and ultra-fast. Very easy to merge from IPB v3 to xenforo 1.5.11

Please, think about my post, don't break rAthena board for that piece of shit called IPB v4!

Hopefully, eventually, maybe one day in the future you'll type a post that isn't criticising everything we do with no basis, no facts, no research, no nothing. Upgrading to IPS4 from our current version can't possibly introduce any more bugs than we already have. Your experience is valid only to you, as many of the rA staff have been using IPS4 for a long time and have had no problems. The decision was made a long time ago.

And in future, kindly curb your foul language when posting a reply in the announcements section.

Hopefully, eventually, maybe one day in the future you'll type a post that isn't criticising everything we do with no basis, no facts, no research, no nothing. Upgrading to IPS4 from our current version can't possibly introduce any more bugs than we already have. Your experience is valid only to you, as many of the rA staff have been using IPS4 for a long time and have had no problems. The decision was made a long time ago.

And in future, kindly curb your foul language when posting a reply in the announcements section.

Man, I'm worried about forum software which YOU can break while upgrade process to new IPB version, and i'm worried about biggest cluster of information in the internet related to RO which have very high chances to be damaged because of upgrading procedure. You said "without no research", ok bro, no problem. But why if this "mega stable forum software" are so cool, why they have hidden their bugtracker with thousands of bugreports from public view? You don't know, right? Sure you don't because if you are using actively their forum software you will find a lot of problems with it, and a lot of negative things in this new forum software and a lot of bugs which still exist in this board, that's why they have hide their bugtracker from public view, which were available for all for years before releasing new IPBv4. It's like a situation on for example youtube, when people hidding their faults in video, by hiding comments and like rating.

Another things about which i'm worried it's "putting before the fact community about very big changes". Such actions showing who all of us here - we are nothing. Do you think it's correct to say to community 1 day before such big changes? Have you even care about community? Or they just "fly" which is nothing means here? Or are you turn on "god-mod"? This is very serious problem man, you don't even relize how is serious. rAthena without community - piece of code at github, and nothing more. Any product without people cost nothing. You spit me in the face, and then talk to me about non-constructive criticism from my side. This is awesome dude!

You still no answer about ANY objective reasons why you should to move current software to new one (it's not version upgrading, IPB v4 it's NEW codebase).

Only one reason you have -> someone paid for that (it's ok, Nova rocks, you good guy, thank you a lot of helping rA (not sarcasm)), but to be clear it's not a reason.

You don't even have vision what are you trying to build here at forum, and this is most sad part for me, because everything looks like will be broken, and a lot of people time wasted. I can tell you about the previous sentence a lot, but given your behavior, I will not do it. Because you just won't listen to me, and such big changes if something will be broken will force to move a large number of people on other emulators. Keep do what you want without respect to community, and one day rA will be totally dead.

Edited by Anacondaqq

• Group:  Forum Moderator
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  10013

@Anacondaqq

It's good to hear some feedback from you about these IPB product, but I am sure the admin team doesn't move to IPBv4 without any plan ahead.

Moving to IPBv4 has been decided very long ago, probably around 2015. I believe the admin team has carry out enough of checking or data migration testing before they officially move it to IPBv4.

Even if IPBv4 doesn't work or failed at the end, they still have the recovery plan to restore everything.

Concern about these popular website or software who try to hide their bugtracker from public, it's common. It happen everywhere for all the software. 

Other people could have exploits the bug when they found out their target forum are using specific version of the software and that version contain bugs that are not resolved.

and lastly, moving to IPBv4 isn't a decision that made solely by Akkarin himself, other moderator team members are included as well.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2285

giphy.gif

NO! PLEASE NO!!!!!!!! FOR WHAT? Did you saw IPB v4? This is biggest piece of shit with a lot of bugs and a lot of problems when i have ever saw before! Very shitty forum software, very bugged, a lot of bbcodes, plugins, messages, reputations, etc will be DESTROYED after upgrade!

Man, i have experience with this shit for few years, and i strongly not suggest to upgrade current rA board to this shit!!! Please don't break current forum software! If are you looking for good forum software and you wish to replace it (if you have real reasons for doing it) take a look to xenforo!

This forum software (xenforo) in few times less in resource usage then IPB, it has super nice resource manager, it has million of super nice plugins, very easy customizable, very big extension / themes database and support topics, very friendly and mega big community. Very, super easy managment, and ultra-fast. Very easy to merge from IPB v3 to xenforo 1.5.11. And it have mega easy ACL, mega easy options, i see only good sides at xenforo, then at  IPB.

You don't even have ANY reason for doing it! Just because someone wants to do it!

Man, i have few IPB forums, and there are NO any security issue with current forum software, so there are no reason to  change it!

Look to herc.ws board, and look how many (mostly all) posts breaked because of bbcodes.

Man, i really strongly suggest not do what you want to do, and keep current version of IPB, but if nobody will develop security fixes for current IPB anymore in any future, switch then to xenforo, not to shitty IPB.

I appreciate your concern, but, I will tell you something based on my experience,

There is something that rAthena's client -people who use rAthena- must accept rAthena's leader decision, like or not.

And,

even there are some people who don't like what u said, for me, there are some good points for others to review before using IPB4 (well, as long as you experienced the shitty thing of IPB4, it can be reference).

Hopefully, eventually, maybe one day in the future you'll type a post that isn't criticising everything we do with no basis, no facts, no research, no nothing [1]. Upgrading to IPS4 from our current version can't possibly introduce any more bugs than we already have. Your experience is valid only to you [2], as many of the rA staff have been using IPS4 for a long time and have had no problems [3]. The decision was made a long time ago [4].

[1] I don't get why Akkarin said [1] even Anacondaq said that he experienced with IPB4

[2] It's one of other points that I never can reach rA's leader (Brian, Maki, and ofc Akkarin) back then, they didn't (or don't?) accept people's thoughts if they think it's a criticism.

[3] I'm not part of this, maybe hidden somewhere The World Only God Knows, and I just said "ok, it's cool (even idk the difference)" when heard the plan

[4] yes decided, so actually u just need to say this to Anacondaq. /gg

• Upvote 2

@Anacondaqq

It's good to hear some feedback from you about these IPB product, but I am sure the admin team doesn't move to IPBv4 without any plan ahead.

Hi, thank you very much for your message, i'm appreciate your opinion. But here is a problem. Everything looks like that there are no any plan at all. That's why nobody not talk to community and not sharing their plans with community about similar big changes. It's easy as 1-2-3. And my main point: current situation is wrong, and community leaders need time to time talk with community and talk about future plans, and current problems and possible solutions how to change it.

About which plan you guys talking about, if all of us remember many different issues with downtimes, and one of the most interesting downtime for few months?  (no, it's not joke, rAthena board were offline for 50? 60 days?).

I'm sure they don't even have even any incremental backups at all, because it's "require planning too" =) And In one day when hoster disk drive will get corrupted, they will recover from .zip or .rar archives which they saved somewhere at mega or google drive, and made manually at time when they remember about backups. That's why i'm worried, because i don't see any plan, and any dialogue with community.

All things here based on community, but there are 0 feedback or dialogues with community. Only software developers do it in issues, or people like you at support board. There are no milestones, there are no achievements which need to reach, there are no methods to motivate people to grow emulator by allowing to them to sell items directly here at board (it were, but then you removed it). There are a lot of problems with listening to people when they wish to be heard here at board. I see very bad community management without any vision of future. I can't say the same thing about core emulator development, but i don't see any goal at community leaders to make emulator community base bigger, better. All I see is a random set of events happened in different time, and that's why rA still alive. But it can be much better if people need it.

I probably said all that I wanted. Please don't get me wrong, I can with the facts to argue every word above, but I was just too lazy to write on sleepy head. I have nothing against updates or changes, I'm against doing it in secret from the community and put the community before the fact at the last moment. I apologize if anyone is somehow offended or hurt, but I hope that you take me into consideration, I do not advise bad things, because it's in my best interests of rAthena user.

/no1

Edited by Anacondaqq

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  790

Well, I don't like change myself and don't know why we have move to IPB4, because everything I need from a forum is already working here. But I hardly use the forums anyway, other than digging up information, so I rather let others that actually have to actively work with them decide what to do.

I really hope the format / quoting doesn't mess up as it did on Herc forums, though. That was really really horrible.

Also there's still a lot of important information on the bug tracker, would be nice if that wasn't lost. Including bug number (as old commit message link to those).

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  547

Hey Anacondaqq!

Thanks for your feedback but I think you kind of misinterpret parts of the situation because you do not know enough of rAthena's server and software setup.

Yes we do not have a master plan for everything yet but the current environment does not allow or hinder us in getting some things done.

Cutting loose from hardly ever used features like blogs or outdated bridge sofwares for wiki and other stone old hooks that were installed into our IP Board is something good as it is not paying of and reducing administrative work.

Since you stated that you managed many forum software installations you will know what I'm talking about.

Any community software is nothing you install once and never touch it again and you always have to plan security updates and reduce possibly downtimes and create backup plans.

Please never forget, we and certainly Akkarin who has the most work with this task, work for free for all of you.

So reducing the cost of our spare time is something that you have to understand.

Of course the community plays a big role for us too and we try to safisfy as many users as possible, but as you might know from your servers too this is not always possible and you will always have someone against you.

So please do me a favor and try to make the best out of it and maybe give us tips from your experience of the installations you already did.

You can also suggest features you would like to see on the new version and we will wait for other user's feedback as well and see what we can do.

But as soon as there's money involved, bear in mind that we are contingent on the donations of all of you.

You should also see the positive sides from the recent changes:
The wiki was phased out to GitHub which will reduce load on rAthena's main server, since it will be redirected to GitHub.

You can therefore now clone the wiki locally and use all features GitHub offers for it.

Since GitHub has a far lower downtime rate than rAthena itself the wiki will stay online even if the board is offline for a few days again, while we are trying to reach our administrators for help.

We will remove some old scripts, hooks and features that will also reduce the load on our server and will increase performance for you all.

Lemon

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Development Manager
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  732

As other staffers have stated already, this has been something that has been in the works for quite some time. The thing is, when people say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" don't necessarily know the core problems. Since I came on as Administrator I have truly seen the problems ridden within the forum. Akkarin always told me about them in the past while he worked on stuff and I saw the issues it gave him.

As stated above, this isn't something that rAthena is imposing on the community because "we have the power so we can do it" mentality. I'm not even sure why that would be a thought. While typing this post I had a notification saying someone posted something new and to "click here" to refresh the page without losing my message. In short, I clicked the link 30 times and it failed to show the new post. There are many things that were broken by staff that aren't even part of rAthena, let alone the RO community, anymore. Why should their changes that introduced problems in the forum still plague us years later? The forum upgrade is for the betterment of the community and the staff that work on the forum.

Keep in mind that if something were to go wrong, we do have backups. There are tons of fixes going on in the background as well on the server to relieve tasks and clearing data that is no longer needed. This is a huge spring (in the fall!) cleaning, that Lemongrass stated, helps with management and provides a hindrance for future things for the forum.

I've talked with Akkarin and to make it as seamless as possible the forum will just go into a read-only mode while a recent backup can be made.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  265

Huge rant.

I've also personally used IPS4, and it's been great. Not only have I had close to zero issues, but it runs amazingly. As Aleos just mentioned, the current forums are extremely buggy from years of adding, removing, and modifying things.

Your lack of faith is surprising and I have no idea where it stems from.

Then you start bringing in completely unrelated points: The last downtime you mentioned happened before the change in administration, and Aleos has been extremely active since taking up the position. Not only that, but the market place was removed due to a huge controversy regarding the payouts; I'm frankly surprised you're either unaware of it or pretending to be so. While I do agree that rAthena could be doing a better job at community building, I do not see how that affects this decision in any way, shape or form.

Make suggestions, write 'em out, post 'em on the forums. I'm sure the staff and community will be glad to hear you out. But do it with time to spare, under the discussion forums, not as a last-minute reply to an announcement.

And this isn't me replying as any sort of authority figure, this is me replying as a standard member of the community who would also love to see it grow and prosper.

• Upvote 1