[Free Release] Sage's Awesome Map Package 1.0

Sage

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  318

hey !! beautiful maps thx for the relase.

• Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1335

Sup homies! I won't bore you all with some unnecessary convoluted introduction. 

This reminds me of someone. I think, me? Haha :P

This is really good work. I really had to review this one, cause I was really impressed by how precisive and detailed is this work, in all the aspects: like terrain, models and such.  All of this together, reminds me a lot of the official maps style. Personally, I'm sure I'll learn a lot from this.

We are thankful for this free release and your dispossal to give us more.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  374

Carnival map is so pretty *-* !! GOMENASAI BUT I WILL STEAL SOME IDEAS OF THIS MAP UHUUU!!!!

Edited by kasumy

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  128

Free? Really? (Really, as a server admin I could easily pay for all this package, this is really beautiful!)

Oh well, how can I use that new Awards system? Mapping Award for you please, excelent work!

• Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  403

Absolutely outstanding. Thank you very much for releasing this to the community! :)

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1445

thank you so much o:!

http://rathena.org/board/page/badges_and_awards.html/_/mapping-lv-1-r16

Lol i believe you are a girl

map level 1, totally agree

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  111

Oh gosh, I haven't dropped by in a few days and this really blew up! Thanks for the kind words, everyone! It really makes me smile seeing such a positive reaction. 

This is really good work. I really had to review this one, cause I was really impressed by how precisive and detailed is this work, in all the aspects: like terrain, models and such.  All of this together, reminds me a lot of the official maps style. Personally, I'm sure I'll learn a lot from this.

Considering how much I lurk this forum and admire your own work, this is really high praise for me! Thanks, Olrox! 

Carnival map is so pretty *-* !! GOMENASAI BUT I WILL STEAL SOME IDEAS OF THIS MAP UHUUU!!!!

Go for it! Some advice though, since there was a problem with that map I only realized after making it!

If you are going to have a group of objects making up something bigger, as I did with the trees in Carnivale (multiple leafy objects, and a separate one for the trunk, all duplicated over and over), make sure you're careful about how many objects you've got! I had a bunch of leaf clusters inside the middle of the trees, where they were really unnecessary, because players simply can't see them.

There were so many objects on that map that my old computer straight-up couldn't render shadows for it! Consider that a little pro-tip: When you map, try to look at your work from a player's perspective, and try to focus most of your time and effort on the parts of the map they can actually see and go to!

Free? Really? (Really, as a server admin I could easily pay for all this package, this is really beautiful!)

Oh well, how can I use that new Awards system? Mapping Award for you please, excelent work!

What an honor! I did have to think for a really, really long time over whether or not I would release my works for free. I eventually decided that I would because RO has been a large part of my life for many years now, and seeing as I've gotten fairly good at mapping, I thought this would be a nice way I can do my part to make the private server community just a little bit better. I don't have as much time as I'd like to play RO proper nowadays, but I'd really love seeing my maps just completely fill up with players on different servers.

That is correct! <3

Update time!

I am working on new field maps for the region surrounding Dorado Harbor. Here is an (Warning, big image!) overview image of what I've managed to put together over the weekend and monday. The two western-most maps are complete and available in the 1.0 package posted above (dorado and dor_fild01, respectively!) and everything east of those is a work-in-progress. Here are a few work in progress screencaps in closer detail, a few of which are more recently taken than the preview image.

ayNV6qz.png

KcOz0li.png

FjIpnNf.png

sUqjrFA.png

3KF6WOK.png

vzFjOYS.png

Unless something comes up in my schedule this week, I would like to release version 1.1 of my map package this weekend, which will just add mini-maps and data files for the exits of maps and other convenient things, so you all don't need to take guesses as to what interiors are meant for what buildings and things like that. (I think that could get particularly confusing as time goes on!)

The preview images shared above will be included in version 1.2, of which I don't have a solid estimate for a release date right now. This is largely because I don't like to release my work before I've playtested it and made sure it looks/functions as well in-game as it does in the editor.

Dorado is a large region- All in all, I expect it to be comparable in size to the Sograt desert before Gravity made it stupid and cut out like half the maps. Maybe a bit bigger. There will be another town accessible by land to the east of it, and you can expect a few varying landscapes, namely arid biomes like dunes, canyons, salt flats, and a volcano, all of which I think are awesome and under-represented in RO.

What will definitely be in 1.2:

• Field maps East of Dorado, including a mountainous area, a sandy plain of dunes, and the southern beach!
  • Several new Dorado interiors!
  • Mini-maps and warp data files for the above!
  • A small expansion to Aquitaine's fields!
  • A dungeon! There are several I could whip up for this reason so we'll see what I come up with.

Question: Would people be interested if I included, in a separate package, a collection of recommended BGM tracks for the various maps? On my test server I mostly just use songs I enjoyed from videogames and TV shows that seem fitting.

• Upvote 2

to the question, of course! i enjoy the music too lol, i've changed some bgm music to play more nicely lol

we all really like your work and are so grateful, on every download !

so nice of you lol 

^_^

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  325

Was using the mobile so couldnt reply to this so here goes:

AWESOME EPIC SEPIC DAMN COOL OMg EYE OPENING JAW DROPPING maps :D that too for free its like paradise and a HUGE thanx for the maps :) u fully deserve a mapping lvl 1 award HANDS DOWN! :) Carry on ur epicness mylady xD

Oh gosh, I haven't dropped by in a few days and this really blew up! Thanks for the kind words, everyone! It really makes me smile seeing such a positive reaction. 

Considering how much I lurk this forum and admire your own work, this is really high praise for me! Thanks, Olrox! 

Go for it! Some advice though, since there was a problem with that map I only realized after making it!

If you are going to have a group of objects making up something bigger, as I did with the trees in Carnivale (multiple leafy objects, and a separate one for the trunk, all duplicated over and over), make sure you're careful about how many objects you've got! I had a bunch of leaf clusters inside the middle of the trees, where they were really unnecessary, because players simply can't see them.

There were so many objects on that map that my old computer straight-up couldn't render shadows for it! Consider that a little pro-tip: When you map, try to look at your work from a player's perspective, and try to focus most of your time and effort on the parts of the map they can actually see and go to!

What an honor! I did have to think for a really, really long time over whether or not I would release my works for free. I eventually decided that I would because RO has been a large part of my life for many years now, and seeing as I've gotten fairly good at mapping, I thought this would be a nice way I can do my part to make the private server community just a little bit better. I don't have as much time as I'd like to play RO proper nowadays, but I'd really love seeing my maps just completely fill up with players on different servers.

That is correct! <3

Update time!

I am working on new field maps for the region surrounding Dorado Harbor. Here is an (Warning, big image!) overview image of what I've managed to put together over the weekend and monday. The two western-most maps are complete and available in the 1.0 package posted above (dorado and dor_fild01, respectively!) and everything east of those is a work-in-progress. Here are a few work in progress screencaps in closer detail, a few of which are more recently taken than the preview image.

ayNV6qz.png

KcOz0li.png

FjIpnNf.png

sUqjrFA.png

3KF6WOK.png

vzFjOYS.png

Unless something comes up in my schedule this week, I would like to release version 1.1 of my map package this weekend, which will just add mini-maps and data files for the exits of maps and other convenient things, so you all don't need to take guesses as to what interiors are meant for what buildings and things like that. (I think that could get particularly confusing as time goes on!)

The preview images shared above will be included in version 1.2, of which I don't have a solid estimate for a release date right now. This is largely because I don't like to release my work before I've playtested it and made sure it looks/functions as well in-game as it does in the editor.

Dorado is a large region- All in all, I expect it to be comparable in size to the Sograt desert before Gravity made it stupid and cut out like half the maps. Maybe a bit bigger. There will be another town accessible by land to the east of it, and you can expect a few varying landscapes, namely arid biomes like dunes, canyons, salt flats, and a volcano, all of which I think are awesome and under-represented in RO.

What will definitely be in 1.2:

• Field maps East of Dorado, including a mountainous area, a sandy plain of dunes, and the southern beach!
  • Several new Dorado interiors!
  • Mini-maps and warp data files for the above!
  • A small expansion to Aquitaine's fields!
  • A dungeon! There are several I could whip up for this reason so we'll see what I come up with.

Question: Would people be interested if I included, in a separate package, a collection of recommended BGM tracks for the various maps? On my test server I mostly just use songs I enjoyed from videogames and TV shows that seem fitting.

When i see something very beautiful, i almost cry T_T your maps is so beautiful T_T how many time for do this nexet work??

wow @.@ maps fit perfectly (overview image), really good job, I learned some things from ur mapping style.

When i see something very beautiful, i almost cry T_T your maps is so beautiful T_T how many time for do this nexet work??

I'd ballpark it around late this month or early March, but don't quote me on that. I'd like to get all that done around that time, but my schooling takes priority. We'll see! I'll try to keep this thread updated as I make progress.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1

I love you na :)), cant wait for those minimaps ill use them for my server. love you works 

• 2 months later...

I'm not dead! HA HA HA!

Alright, status update time, since I've been quiet and lurking for a few months now. College has had me a little overwhelmed this past semester, but my summer is looking like it'll be a lazy one, which means I plan on putting out an awesome 1.1 update. I've steadily began working on things again a couple weeks ago, and while I don't feel there's enough to put out a proper update yet, I'd like to showcase some of the things that'll be coming.

Important notes off the bat: I'll be open to donations in the near future, to fund a personal RO-related  project I'm working on with some friends, but everything I make will continue to be free. I don't plan on actually selling my maps now or in the future, and I'll be forthright in saying I can't give out any perks or compensation for that sort of thing. More on that another time.

Contrary to what I may have said/implied before, I'll only be releasing updates to this map package every few weeks or months, rather than more regular mini-updates. Don't fret, though, whenever I get around to putting out a new release, you can expect at least a dozen new things to sink your teeth into.

Here's a preview of what's to come!

Electric Town!

An amusement park and city of steel, built high above the clouds! I've not gotten to interiors yet, but there will be several, and probably a dungeon. This map uses no custom textures or objects, so you only need an up-to-date kRO patch to implement it on your server. Isn't that convenient?

PapVeHL.png

5iEL0CZ.png

6OAYaH4.png

Sr02bHb.png

6pi4esh.png

q9QVWE5.png

The Dorado Badlands!

I've already shown some of this before, but it's a truly big region! Here are a few more admittedly work-in-progressy shots from a few of the dune fields, and the not-yet-done canyon village of Madelin, as well as a few of its respective fields!

JmBcKvZ.png

jpZXMEF.png

CBd1fqn.png

hppjHi7.png

dejqq3v.png

N5gr8B4.png

37plCol.png

T7FhkOQ.png

z70V3lU.png

MexQXBj.png

LgXTb4b.png

Mapping tutorials?

So, this doesn't exactly pertain to my map releases, but I thought I'd pitch the question now to see how much interest there is. I'm considering starting up a series of mapping tutorials/guides, based of my methodology for putting a map together and making it look good. This series would probably be 85% design and 15% technical stuff- That is, I'm going to write it assuming that everyone reading already knows how to use all of Browedit's basic functions.

There are many, many great tutorials and guides out there on the technical side of Browedit, written by people who know that side of the program better than I do! So, this series would focus more on things like "Making a town market look busy" or "What should be in every harbor town" or "How to make your mountains look mountainous" and shit like that.

The point of the series would be to become a better mapper, and not just make maps that are "good enough." For this reason, I'll also be focusing on teaching how to become a better mapper without using custom models or textures, as I believe they make mapping too easy and everyone should learn good design before they start exploring that stuff.

Would anyone be at all interested in this? Let me know. If I start such a thing, I'll also be more willing to provide constructive criticism and advice for people who want to learn.

• Upvote 2

Cool o:! do a blog with tutorials >:3! ow all of this is really cool thnak you so much for the cool maps o:! i think i will add them and make my own story for my server o: thanks a lot again <3!

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  387

Sage I fully support your idea for mapping tuts.  You make beautiful maps.  =]

I'm not dead! HA HA HA!

Alright, status update time, since I've been quiet and lurking for a few months now. College has had me a little overwhelmed this past semester, but my summer is looking like it'll be a lazy one, which means I plan on putting out an awesome 1.1 update. I've steadily began working on things again a couple weeks ago, and while I don't feel there's enough to put out a proper update yet, I'd like to showcase some of the things that'll be coming.

Important notes off the bat: I'll be open to donations in the near future, to fund a personal RO-related  project I'm working on with some friends, but everything I make will continue to be free. I don't plan on actually selling my maps now or in the future, and I'll be forthright in saying I can't give out any perks or compensation for that sort of thing. More on that another time.

Contrary to what I may have said/implied before, I'll only be releasing updates to this map package every few weeks or months, rather than more regular mini-updates. Don't fret, though, whenever I get around to putting out a new release, you can expect at least a dozen new things to sink your teeth into.

Here's a preview of what's to come!

Electric Town!

An amusement park and city of steel, built high above the clouds! I've not gotten to interiors yet, but there will be several, and probably a dungeon. This map uses no custom textures or objects, so you only need an up-to-date kRO patch to implement it on your server. Isn't that convenient?

PapVeHL.png

5iEL0CZ.png

6OAYaH4.png

Sr02bHb.png

6pi4esh.png

q9QVWE5.png

The Dorado Badlands!

I've already shown some of this before, but it's a truly big region! Here are a few more admittedly work-in-progressy shots from a few of the dune fields, and the not-yet-done canyon village of Madelin, as well as a few of its respective fields!

JmBcKvZ.png

jpZXMEF.png

CBd1fqn.png

hppjHi7.png

dejqq3v.png

N5gr8B4.png

37plCol.png

T7FhkOQ.png

z70V3lU.png

MexQXBj.png

LgXTb4b.png

Mapping tutorials?

So, this doesn't exactly pertain to my map releases, but I thought I'd pitch the question now to see how much interest there is. I'm considering starting up a series of mapping tutorials/guides, based of my methodology for putting a map together and making it look good. This series would probably be 85% design and 15% technical stuff- That is, I'm going to write it assuming that everyone reading already knows how to use all of Browedit's basic functions.

There are many, many great tutorials and guides out there on the technical side of Browedit, written by people who know that side of the program better than I do! So, this series would focus more on things like "Making a town market look busy" or "What should be in every harbor town" or "How to make your mountains look mountainous" and shit like that.

The point of the series would be to become a better mapper, and not just make maps that are "good enough." For this reason, I'll also be focusing on teaching how to become a better mapper without using custom models or textures, as I believe they make mapping too easy and everyone should learn good design before they start exploring that stuff.

Would anyone be at all interested in this? Let me know. If I start such a thing, I'll also be more willing to provide constructive criticism and advice for people who want to learn.

I WANT YOUR TUTORIAIS !!

I'm interested to learn from you :)

• Content Count:  566

Amazing maps! I fell in love with the Electric Town!

• Upvote 1

Sage I fully support your idea for mapping tuts.  You make beautiful maps.  =]

I totally agree C.C.

The only thing u still need to improve is about indoors, all your outdoor maps looks amazing! I would like to learn some good stuff about outdoors from you too :)

Edited by Angelisk
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  76

amazing works!!

• 4 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3

Awesome maps. I look forward to the Dorado!

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I have a totally contrary opinion with the -easy- part. :P I accept that keeping on the line of using only RO models to recreate areas requires creativity and vision; however, you can't afirm that using custom models or textures makes the work easier just like that.

Making maps by only using browedit, requires to learn only one software. Now, If you include the custom models and textures part, then, everything changes. An extense diversification of other kind of tools becomes necessary to master and give a use... tools like : illustrator, maya, photoshop, or even maths. This is way far of saying its easier; even so, at the creativity part I mentioned, which is still a requirement at the way how you can handle and give a use to those mentioned tools.

The correct term would be that custom models and textures gives advantage at mapping, but advantage doesn't means is easier. It requires more knoweledge indeed, and a complex one to learn and master.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  5

thnx for the free maps, your work is great :)