To be successful server owner

phebs

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  57

Administrator must be not working alone why?

can you finish all the work? ok then learn this.

photoshop / css > design your own custom items etc. / design your own website

php / mysql > configure your own control panel at least you know what you need to do if there's something wrong etc.

c++ > common sense *-*

scripter > make a none copy paste event :P

host > at least 12months / 24/7 online, take note a single down make your player crazy ;)

forum host > its important that they are seperated unless you intergrate your forum to your panel. if not the purpose is updates and trouble shoot, If your site is down etc.

advertisment > to make your server more popular

gm > good gm if you can paid for him/her so that theres no more curruptions hehe

now can you do this alone? if not then you need a team because i believe that we are human, we can sit at the front of our computer 24/7.

if you wish to add more, feel free to post your thoughts.

• Topic Count:  81
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1654

Corruption, a magical word that always make a private server crumbled apart..

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1

The server software is written in C, by the way.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  146

Addition..

You must have a good reading skill =))

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  782

I myself working alone for my own server :P

• Topic Count:  280
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  841

I work alone. If you need help, then ask. Lots of help you can through online community. Just by simply requesting if they're not busy. Just don't forget to add credits or thanks to those who helped you <3

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  225

php / mysql > configure your own control panel at least you know what you need to do if there's something wrong etc.

c++ > common sense *-*

host > at least 12months / 24/7 online, take note a single down make your player crazy ;)

forum host > its important that they are seperated unless you intergrate your forum to your panel. if not the purpose is updates and trouble shoot, If your site is down etc.

gm > good gm if you can paid for him/her so that theres no more curruptions hehe

now can you do this alone? if not then you need a team because i believe that we are human, we can sit at the front of our computer 24/7.

to answer

now can you do this alone?

A person who has an idea or know much on each field can maintain his/her own server alone. Well not unless you specify time on when those jobs need to be done. Since you didn't specify, I'll stick to my answer that yes! Me, you, him, and/or her can do those alone.

Take time in short

Edited by Jupeto

c++ > common sense *-*

to answer

now can you do this alone?

A person who has an idea or know much on each field can maintain his/her own server alone. Well not unless you specify time on when those jobs need to be done. Since you didn't specify, I'll stick to my answer that yes! Me, you, him, and/or her can do those alone.

Take time in short

yeah you were right simply "YES". and to the rest thank you for the comment anyway.

The server software is written in C, by the way.

thanks for correcting me ;)

for new commers, just take it easy ;)

Edited by a243P547

• Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  390

im working alone.. and yes it's taking time and many errors, but people here helped me through the bad times of my life in making my own private server..

but yeah, having a friend of company to do the server will be much fun and easy, i will also open up new ideas and still run the way you want it too :)

i just wish there's someone who'll approach me and say "hey wan't me to help you with your server? it's free"..

looooooool! /no1 /no1 /no1

i think another key to making a good server, specially when your alone (pro or not) is that you gotta enjoy and appreciate what you doin' and what your server have, and yes, have patience...

Edited by stydianx

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  461

I think, everyone can work alone when he want this.

If you work with your heart in your project, then can you reach something.

But my slogan is: "Only peoples which work in a team, can make a different." ^-^

• Content Count:  119

Definitely prefer working alone. Have never seen servers survive with developers and whatnot, graphic designers are fine though. As to why: lack of communication (server owner hires employees due to being busy, and then is too busy to communicate with employees, creates a backlog, lots of frustration, and ragequits), then I have a specific way of doing things and am not easily impressed by others unless they are freelancers on commission, some good work out of them. Incredibly picky though. 8D Can never go wrong with graphics though, development is another story however. Same with hosting.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  210

c++ > common sense *-*

I can do this alone. except for advertisement but i do advertise my server on my facebook wall..

I can design my own website and i can code it.. but after its done ill trash it. cause i dont like my own design. LOL.

host > at least 12months / 24/7 online, take note a single down make your player crazy

This is virtually impossible..

• Topic Count:  125
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  595

I work alone. If you need help, then ask. Lots of help you can through online community. Just by simply requesting if they're not busy. Just don't forget to add credits or thanks to those who helped you <3

+1...

Be Patient,Wise, Stay Focused and Keep Shipping /no1

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  63

I do not work alone, I have my mentor [rAthena] (even though my server is eAthena - I think I don't get updates there ugh).

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  154

I work alone too. And I do all those things you posted. I did everything from website down to the server proper. Lol. If you have the heart, you can do anything if you want to :P

Edited by greenieken

• Content Count:  361

working alone too =). . . **DETERMINATION** will make you a perfect admin of your own server. =)

Be inspired of doing things, first of all, this game, Ragnarok Online, is a really meaningful game. We started to play this game for almost 8 years and we got new friends/groups by playing RO. Even there are many problems that we face while playing ragnarok, still, we can't just quit on playing it because of the **MEMORIES**. Many players now are reminiscing the past, for example, those time that you looted hydra card and you will pm your friends that you are already a millionaire =). You've got your first 2nd Job character as if you reached level 99 already. You made your first +7 armor as if you are the most luckiest player in the midgard. In other words, if you have the determination to manage your own server not because of material things but because of the meaning of the GAME, well, you got the skill which is required to become a good admin of your server. Many problems will come, but always remember that many people will help you especially here in rAthena. =)

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  30

i think another key to making a good server, specially when your alone (pro or not) is that you gotta enjoy and appreciate what you doin' and what your server have, and yes, have patience...

This. /ok/lv/ok

This. /ok/lv/ok

hey man! thanks :)

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  2244

great thoughts, though time management is probably most important too. If you are runningi a server by yourself and you have life issues, what will you do. You can still manage it somewhat, but you may need some assistance to step in

great thoughts, though time management is probably most important too. If you are runningi a server by yourself and you have life issues, what will you do. You can still manage it somewhat, but you may need some assistance to step in

THIS IS VERY TRUE :)

in times of darkness and headaches, two head is always better than one :)

but the big problem is that, what if the other head is useless. . . haha. . . it was so hard to trust someone =) but still, Dedicated Administrator + Trustworthy Staffs = that server will rise =) . . .

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  11

Most of what you mentioned can easily be purchased. Once you're established, the only thing you really need is a GM Team. If your server has a lot of players, you can't be online 24/7 to answer all their questions.

I personally managed a successful server with a friend a few years ago, and we both had very limited knowledge at the time. RO scripting is easy to learn, and modifying scripts and understanding the logic behind them really isn't hard. If you have at least some knowledge in the fields you mentioned, you'll be able to run a server by your own. You'll learn new stuff along the way as well. You don't have to be a master in every one of those fields when starting out.

Edited by Zeidan

but the big problem is that, what if the other head is useless. . . haha. . . it was so hard to trust someone =) but still, Dedicated Administrator + Trustworthy Staffs = that server will rise =) . . .

your not really going to let someone you don't trust into the server right? or someone without a knowledge of this field.. it would be wasting time :) LOOOOL!

but yeah! thumbs up for you too :)

If you know how to use "GOOGLE", so you're a good admin =)

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  99

You can't be a good admin alone.

1. You can't know everything about the game. There is to many things to know. How many server I test that was really unbalence? The problem is when you try to add things up the rate ect... it's really difficult to keep the balance. Ppl quick are boring when you not add content/correct bugs/balence the things. So for me it's important to have a team to discuss about what can we do to make a balance server with adding stuff. (Player reviews is really important to)

2. The time. You can't make everything by yourself without help. Thats can works the firsts month but when players became borred and want more content it's not that simple to add some.

3. You need to know how to fix skill bug ect... If you take rathena renewal there is so many things missing and so many skill buggy that's impossible to make it run as common server. If you do it there is so many un-balence class that every player playing with the same class. One more thinks if you take the atk and matk formula from rathena renewal it's the same as pre-renewal and you can make really strong dmg with some skills. In pvp is a one hit to kill. You can't tank player. So you need some really good dev skills.

4. Do every things alone mean you need a lot of time and I don't know if we can devoted our life to this.

5. A team is important to do just about anything. Team is here to keep you on the good way.

That's my opinion. No attack no offense to the great job that rAthena done this last year, they keep ragnarok private server alive =)

I would like to finish by thanks all rAthena dev/scriptor/contributor for they great work and time they give to the community!

Edited by michieru