To be successful server owner

phebs

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  186

If you are novice = a lot of money and good dev team.

if not: c++, rathena wiki and google.

Edited by Jelly

• Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  257

i work alone too :) its just depend on your time management :D

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  119

great thoughts, though time management is probably most important too. If you are runningi a server by yourself and you have life issues, what will you do. You can still manage it somewhat, but you may need some assistance to step in

True, in that case I'd have someone temporarily take over management who can personally contact me, but still make no changes, lol. I would probably also take them for a test run before entrusting them with such a position. Get some training and experience in there.

Edited by Wolfeh

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  737

There no C++ in server so if you saying that you already wrong.

I think it's really depend on what "succefull" is; Since there so many server I imo don't think the bar is high to make it succefull and yeah many could do part of all this job but as it been already said you won't have time to fully do it all. I mean just think of debuging, coding new snippet, prepare/do events, awnser request/basic support, adding new sprite/item, fixing gravity, redac news... if you do that fully you won't have time to do anything else in life. And I'm not talking about updating your server from time to time to rA and coding basic npc, ofc if you do "just" that you may be fine but there many other issues.

Beside that I think you need to really separe Installation part then Maintenance as you wont setup your forum everyday or reinstall mysql. Those for instance are 1 time job so you could ask someone to do it for you and manage the server fine. Still could be usefull to have someone in team devoted to this (eq to sysadmin in compagnie), so he could work on setup new svn, ticket etc, well someone to think of organisation and how to improve your workflow in short.

In my vision I wouldn't start a server alone cause I wouldn't want to spend all my time in it and I may risk to rush thing.

• Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  566

I work alone too, and it is important that you have a Time management for your server and for your real life. If you ask for help then do it, everyone can lend a helping hand if you don't know what're you doing. I just work alone with my loving pc gig! Lot's of icons and shortcuts on desktop with helpful files to manage my server and run it while I can continue my real life.

Just give it a try, you don't need to learn lots of programming language to be a successful server owner, but a good determination and a very long patience will lead you to a successful server owner :D/heh

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  141

When I want to be alone, I started to need some support.

When I really look for the support, I started to solve the problem alone.

We need both situations, yet some time we are denying it.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  707

Hi Guys,

Back in High School, I use to have a RO server called 'SurgeRO'. Back then, I was the only developer of the server and it peaked to a little above 500 players. It works fine if you are the only developer, but you have to be motivated in both making the server and communicating with your players. I know Latheesan (Owner of AsuraHosting), would agree with me as he has also created multiple servers back then as well.

The best way to get players, is to communicate and create lots of fun events hosted by GMs with good prizes. Create some decent custom items, and use those as prize events; make your players feel special on the server and they will surely stay to see what else is coming.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  11

I think one of the most important factor is that you have to let your players know that your server is alive. Not by having thousands of players but by having an active and lively administrators and community. Owners should carefully pick out their GM's in order to avoid corruption. One who can be trusted and patient at all times. They should also hire an event planner cause one person can't handle thinking and implementing at the same time (in my experience anyway). A good server always communicate with their players, whether it be the news of a new update or a notification for a new event, servers should always inform the players what is happening around the game they're playing instead of just "Oh we have a surprise event guys!". Also an active forum community would help alot too.

These things in my opinion are secondary in nature:

• Beautiful website
  • Hassle-free registration
  • Freebies of some sort
  • Rates
  • Features

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  106

I think one of the most important factor is that you have to let your players know that your server is alive. Not by having thousands of players but by having an active and lively administrators and community. Owners should carefully pick out their GM's in order to avoid corruption. One who can be trusted and patient at all times. They should also hire an event planner cause one person can't handle thinking and implementing at the same time (in my experience anyway). A good server always communicate with their players, whether it be the news of a new update or a notification for a new event, servers should always inform the players what is happening around the game they're playing instead of just "Oh we have a surprise event guys!". Also an active forum community would help alot too.

These things in my opinion are secondary in nature:

• Beautiful website
  • Hassle-free registration
  • Freebies of some sort
  • Rates
  • Features

My server has the current set up;

ChaosControl as Main Administrator and Serverside-Developer

Insarius as Clientside-Developer, Scripter, Community Manager, Serverside-developer

Bolnez as Co-Administrator Event Planner

Chaos and Bolnez are my brother and cousin, so we can trust eachother. :)

I make sure to be active and lively and do my best to help people.

I'm the most active out of the 3, because my brother has a lot to do at the moment, and my cousin can't do much yet due to him not knowing scripting or developing.

Our website is shit though, we're looking for someone who wants to join our team as Webdeveloper, our registration form is very easy, we have no freebies [yet], we feel 10x are the perfect rates and we strive to have a core-feel to our server.

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  53

I usually work alone, and as much as possible I don't copy and paste most of the scripts being shared. Especially on the Mini game events because I felt like I don't give much effort to my server if I only copy the scripts just for the sake of having an Automated Event.

And I backup my Database every night!

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  275

for me...it'll work any ways as long as you give time and effort to it...

Edited by miczster

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  113

it's possible to do this. "time" is the resources.