Harabah Tartarus Floor from Persona 3 PS2

Olrox

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1335

Briefing & Concept

Hello all. I'm back to the map showcase to post here something that brings some new elements I have tried so far.

Going back to the map from scratchs, particullary into Map Ports, here I'm showing another map I did. Based on a dungeon of Persona 3 from PS2

One thing particular in this map, it is the fact that it is my first one to use my own ripped 3d models and resources of that game.

Ripping models from an ISO of a PS2 game is sometimes a hard task. Not all games are compatible, and there are plenty of methods to do it sucessfully.

The method I used is somewhat rustic, but it is versatil, since it is compatible with all PS2 games. I'm glad with the final results.

harabah_original-1.pngharabah_original-2.png

There you have the harabah dungeon, from tartarus floor in Persona 3 Game (PS2 version I believe it is different from PSP version) Those Screens are from the original game

As you see, we are talking of a surrealistic map, like... a vertigo style or something like that.

I like these kind of requests. They push me to try new styles I have never imaginated before. I have to be thankfull with my customer to ask me to do this kind of particular map.

About this map

So, what do we have new on this map?

harabah_plus_1.pngharabah_plus_2.png

Harabah Dungeon is, in short words, a surrealistic map. Vivid colors, a place of a wicked dream. Originally the floors I played at the time I did this request, were pretty near from each other... thats why the map is uniformly the same style all across it.

Dont expect multilevels, or complex ways here. THe sketch my customer provided to me was clear, and the style of the dungeon original of the game was about only pathways. linear.-

And since it is a dungeon I choosed to preserve an uniform style all over it. I think the best part comes with the recreation itself.

Moreover, this map comes with something new to the map scene. It is about the "hologram style" I have tried... by following an idea I had about 3D Metric Rules.

Yeah, I'm talking about those rules maybe you used as me, when we were childs. Those that when you move it or shake them, they had something like an hologram style. I'm talking about this rules ---> http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/1934376/28622690/0/1347959700/3D_Lenticular_Rules_Lenticular_3D_Stereoscopic_Plastic_Rules.jpg

The idea of those rules is adding layers with less or more opacity, .... that is what I did in this map. By adding different layers made as custom 3d models from scratch, using opacity trough TGA alpha channel in textures, I did a really good effect among some areas acrossfloor and walls in this map.

Video ... Watch it in 720p!

youtube_logo.png

HD Screenshots

kamishi_add-haraba.png

Screens are in Full HD resolution. You can allways hit the image thumbnaill to check the images on full size, and check some details that can only be appreciated in HD resolution.

Detailed Hologramic Floor Style 1

It is hard to see the effect on floor in a ScreenShoot (since it needs movement that can be only appreciated in game) but, if you pay attention at the foots of the thanatos dolors, you will notice that this is not a normal tile flat texture floor. The effect is only added on the pink rounded rings

harabah_detail_1.png

Detailed Hologramic Floor Style 2

Same as the Screen before, but shows another perspective

harabah_detail_2.png

Hologramic Walls

Those are not normal walls too. In this screen by moving my character near the walls the effect is highly noticable. The effect is really nice considering this is a surrealistic map, as also, it is nice to see the monsters coming from inside the walls sometimes. Remember this is a dungeon

harabah_detail_3.png

Harabah Area 1

Shows the first area example, that corresponds of the entrance. Those Pillars are ripped from the game... all the textures from the game iso too. There are something like a "pulse" or "ghost" effect on floor that can be only appreciated by hitting the image and looking at it at Full Size

harabah_area_1.png

Harabah Area 2

Shows a passage with a nice camera angle. Those rainbow style grids on there... I did those by myself, since, -rainbow- brightness in PS2 games, is somewhat complex to rip off. So, I did those, and for me they look really near as in Persona 3

harabah_area_2.png

Harabah Area 3

Reward room or like the final place of this quest. Those weird things have animation, and rotate themself. Those are not ripped from the game, just retexturized from a default RO model, but of course using the ripped textures of the ISO

harabah_area_3.png

Harabah Area 4

Boss Area, where the final boss appears. The effect on the center is edited by editing the tga texture of the effect list. Wish I could make it more red, but it was not possible for a random reason.

harabah_area_4.png

Overviews

Just some overviews. I left these ones at the end, since, they are not that great, since this map was not about doing panoramic views. But here you have

harabah_overview_1.png

harabah_overview_2.png

harabah_overview_3.png

I really enjoyed this map if you ask me... to much new things I have learned about it. Ripping models from ps2 ISOs is something new that changes acordly the game we are talking for.

Hope you will like this map I did with dedication. Comments or Suggestions are allways welcome and highly appreciated, I only ask though, to read the lines before commenting :P somethings that maybe you will point out are often made in my own purpose.

Have a nice day!

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  566

Holy Crap!!! wow this is so awesome! I love persona 3, this is just amazing >___<!!! How the hell did you do the 3d like effect on the walls?? o.O

• Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  345

OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD I MEAN IT'S AWWWW IMPOSSIBLE TO DESCRIBE! THERE'S TWO FLOORS, SCREEN WALL OMG!

I JUST LOVE IT. IT'S FANTASTIC *_* I LOVE THE ALPHA EFFECT I LOVE EVERYTHING >o< AND THE SIMPLICITY JUST OMGGFGGG AWESOME!

I WANT TO DREAM IN THIS MAP.

3D EFFECT WITHOUT GLASSES OMG I GONNA J***Z

*is out of caps*

Holy Crap!!! wow this is so awesome! I love persona 3, this is just amazing >___<!!! How the hell did you do the 3d like effect on the walls?? o.O

I made a custom model, only a box. Then I added the same wall texture but in TGA extension, and then I added the opacity trough the alpha channel.

I duplicated this model in 3 different opacity styles and added the 3 on the walls in slightly different position. It is the same on floor too, but it is hardly noticable trough SS. But in game it does ;D

I'm glad that you have played Persona 3 Before. I think people who knows this game will recognize this dungeon right away!

OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD I MEAN IT'S AWWWW IMPOSSIBLE TO DESCRIBE! THERE'S TWO FLOORS, SCREEN WALL OMG!

I JUST LOVE IT. IT'S FANTASTIC *_* I LOVE THE ALPHA EFFECT I LOVE EVERYTHING >o< AND THE SIMPLICITY JUST OMGGFGGG AWESOME!

I WANT TO DREAM IN THIS MAP.

3D EFFECT WITHOUT GLASSES OMG I GONNA J***Z

*is out of caps*

NOT ENOUGH CAPS! NOT ENOUGH CAPSSSSSSSS! I DEMAND YOU TO SPAM EURYDICE PROFILE RIGHT NOW~

<3 Thanks. I knew you will like it.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  128

WOW!? Amazing! O________O I like persona too. <3. as i expected to a great mapper. /no1

Edited by Sky Raker

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  186

Awesome.

LF for some vids about creating such amazing maps from you : )

WOW!? Amazing! O________O I like persona too. <3. as i expected to a great mapper. /no1

Thanks! I'm surprised by the amount of people that knows this game. And I'm glad that you agreed with the similiraty of it.

Awesome.

LF for some vids about creating such amazing maps from you : )

Good idea. Maybe I should, however, it takes me several weeks to have a map ready.

Thanks for your words :D

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1245

Wow Olrox. This is something I have never seen before. You've done a fantastic job creating the 3D illusion. Gratz on your map and I'm sure the customer will really love it.

He really likes it :P

It was a good idea. But truly is in game where you can tell that the whole enhancement works pretty well.

Video in HD shows a bit of the effect too. Thanks for your nice words

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  318

*-* perfect olrox.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  313

it´s incredible :P haven´t map that you can´t make xD

excuseme my english :)

*-* perfect olrox.

Thanks william :D

it´s incredible :P haven´t map that you can´t make xD

excuseme my english :)

Thanks for your nice words. Wish I can see more of your sprites soon

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  17

YOU. HAVE GOT. TO BE. KIDDING. ME. HOW DO YOU KEEP OUTDOING YOURSELF?! Excuse me, pardon the random yelling. But... wow! It's like... every time I see one of your maps, and I think it's awesome, I see another map you do, and it's like... what was that last map, again? XDD Maybe I should start predicting it, since that's where things seem to be going...

But this is incredible. The 3D effect and everything, both in the screenshots, and the YouTube video you posted of you running through it. It's like, seriously... what are you still doing here?! (and I really mean that as a compliment, not like I'm so incredibly angry at you for doing this, and... well, I'm sure you know) XD I've been looking at quite a few things, to see how exactly it's possible to push the limits of Ragnarok Online, in all sorts of ways, and... Gravity's maps have nothing on this. Seriously. You should be teaching them a thing or two about mapping! I'm just lost in the colors, on the floor, on the walls... good night!!

Basically, what I'm trying to say, is... phenomenal! If that even begins to describe it...

YOU. HAVE GOT. TO BE. KIDDING. ME. HOW DO YOU KEEP OUTDOING YOURSELF?! Excuse me, pardon the random yelling. But... wow! It's like... every time I see one of your maps, and I think it's awesome, I see another map you do, and it's like... what was that last map, again? XDD Maybe I should start predicting it, since that's where things seem to be going...

But this is incredible. The 3D effect and everything, both in the screenshots, and the YouTube video you posted of you running through it. It's like, seriously... what are you still doing here?! (and I really mean that as a compliment, not like I'm so incredibly angry at you for doing this, and... well, I'm sure you know) XD I've been looking at quite a few things, to see how exactly it's possible to push the limits of Ragnarok Online, in all sorts of ways, and... Gravity's maps have nothing on this. Seriously. You should be teaching them a thing or two about mapping! I'm just lost in the colors, on the floor, on the walls... good night!!

Basically, what I'm trying to say, is... phenomenal! If that even begins to describe it...

wow, I really appreciate your words.

These are those kinds of lines that keeps me motivated. All I can say is that all is about having an idea and making it evolve at the time I map.

Thank you really for that comment. I really didn't expected such nice words!

• Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2244

awesome game, and awesome map = super awesome Olrox

I agree with the posts above, you are very talented and you do great work