Cast Delay vs Cooldown

Dori

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  332

I'm trying to understand this, so please help me if you can.

1. Why is there a cool-down for skills on top of cast delay?

2. Don't they both pretty much do the same thing? Or am I wrong?

3. From what I understand the cool-down is used by items as well, correct? 

4. If  I remove the cool-down from skills, will I have an disadvantages?

5. Is there a script to reduce the cool-down, so  I can make the kiel card reduce the cool-down as well?

Thank you for your help!

9 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  224

1. I'd say to keep people from continually casting stuff but you're better off asking Gravity.

2. Cooldown affects all skills while cast-time is just the channeling of a certain skill(time reduced by dex(renewal has a cap for how much it can be reduced though)).

3. Yes.

4. Spam-fest plus a few skills are just too annoying when spammed(Pressure is a good example).

5. Not sure what you just asked but Kiel already reduces cooldown...only way I can think of is using pre-renewal cast so there can be insta-cast at a given dex value(if you meant reduce the cast or actually disable it).

Thanks, and no Kiel does not affect cool down. Kiel only effects cast delay. I tested this out. It's 2 seperate things. cooldown and cast delay. Visit this topic

I want to use renwal settings, but I want to get rid of this 'cooldown' for all the skills that has it. How can I do this?

Edited by Phenex

is manually removing the cooldown off of skills the only way to do this?

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  105

There's no such thing as cooldown in RO. There are 3 different types of delay in play, only one is universal.

There's the global skill delay, that's based on your animation speed, specifically your ASPD. You cannot cast faster than your ASPD as your character has to finish the animation for the spell or skill casting before you can cast again. The only way to reduce this delay is to raise your ASPD. And you can never cast faster than the max ASPD of the server. The global delay blocks all skills from being cast during the delay period, not just the skill being used. This is imposed on all skills, regardless of after-cast delay or instacast or whatever. Modern clients will block out your skill bar to indicate you're under the global delay, older clients didn't show it but it's always been a part of RO.

After-cast delay is a delay enforced on some skills, for example Soul Breaker, where you can't recast that same skill for a certain time period. This is not the same as the global delay. You can still cast other skills and spells during the after-cast delay, just not the same skill. This is what's reduced by Kiel-D MVP cards and by Poem of Bragi. You can reduce via gears after-cast to the point that it becomes shorter than the global ASPD delay, then your delay is fixed to your ASPD (this is what Poem of Bragi does and what happens if you have enough after-cast delay reducing gear).

Other skills have a fixed motion delay where you can't do anything, such as Spiral Pierce, that is independent of ASPD. Even though your animation is quicker the higher your ASPD is you still can't cast it faster than the fixed motion time. This is only reduced by Poem of Bragi. It functions similarly to the global ASPD delay, you can't do anything until the fixed motion delay is over.

Basically you can reduce after-cast delay and Poem of Bragi reduces/removes fixed motion delay, but you can never avoid the global skill delay, only reduce it to the maximum ASPD value obtainable on the server.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  139

you can change the cooldown of certain skills by editing your db\re\skill_cast_db.txt to make it spammable. ^^,

• Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  353

There's no such thing as cooldown in RO. There are 3 different types of delay in play, only one is universal.

// SkillID,CastingTime,AfterCastActDelay,AfterCastWalkDelay,Duration1,Duration2,Cool Down,Fixed Casting Time

skill_cast_db

so what does this thing do in the svn?

do you mind explaining to us im kinda confused @_@

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  105

// Skill Times Database

//

// Structure of Database:

// SkillID,CastingTime,AfterCastActDelay,AfterCastWalkDelay,Duration1,Duration2,Cool Down,Fixed Casting Time

//== Explained:

// CastingTime : time to cast this skill, in miliseconds

// AfterCastActDelay : "normal" delay, character cannot use skills, in miliseconds

// AfterCastWalkDleay : amount of time before character can move again, in miliseconds

// Duration1 / Duration2 : usually the durations used by the skill, at special cases it is used to hold special data

// Cool Down : amount of time until character can re-use this skill, in miliseconds

// Fixed Casting Time: the skills fixed casting time (when 0, uses 20% of cast time and less than 0 means no fixed cast time)

//== Extra

// On all fields you can use ':' as a delimiter to level-specific values,

// - Example using SM_PROVOKE

// - Original:6,0,0,0,30000,0,1000

// - ModifiedTo:6,0,0,0,30000,0,1000:2500:3000:etc

// - Makes lvl 1 have 1000 (1s) cool down, lvl 2 2500 (2.5s), lvl 3 3000, and so on.

//==========================================

It says right in db/(re|pre-re)/skill_cast_db.txt what it is. It's labelled "cooldown" in our sources but in game it's called after-cast delay. I couldn't tell you why it was done that way but "after-cast delay" is the closest concept in RO to what other MMOs traditionally call "cooldown". "AfterCastActDelay" and "AfterCastWalkDelay" are used for force motion delay skills. Some lock you in place, some just prevent actions but let you walk around.

I know it seems confusing and unintuitive, unfortunately I'm not the one that came up with the names D: All I can tell you is the DB's "Cool Down" is "after-cast delay" in-game, and "AfterCastActDelay" and "AfterCastWalkDelay" are collectively used for "forced motion delay". And on top of all of that is a global delay enforced by your ASPD.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  353

It says right in db/(re|pre-re)/skill_cast_db.txt what it is. It's labelled "cooldown" in our sources but in game it's called after-cast delay. I couldn't tell you why it was done that way but "after-cast delay" is the closest concept in RO to what other MMOs traditionally call "cooldown"

thank you for your response 

now its much clearer to understand 

Thank you for the response, but this is so confusing to me. So Kiel card effects after cast delay?
What I want to do is keep the after cast delay then BUT i want to get rid of this other delay.

What I noticed is that only the 3rd class skills have this other delay. So could you please guide me on how to get rid of this other delay whats on top of after cast delay?