Multilanguage support

Lilith

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1302

I will do the Malaysian/Bahasa Malaysia :)

yahoooo~~~~~~~!!!!!!!

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2285

@Cydh

So far, no change. I don't know how to not add an argument to a function msg_txt. :unsure: I'll see today how to do this.

Need to remake this all, because login server use msg_txt only for logs, not for players, my mistake... We must to add language support for map server only ( + char server's mail messages? )

I can give the russian translation of file map_msg.txt

I was trying find the correct place 'where to place' to check sd->lang, but got nothing.

hmm I just check how to not add an arg, we could do it by define but that may be too weak/tricky. So ye we probably need one, but I was thinking of sending sd or char_id or mmo and do the langage treatement in the msg_txt function rather then for each line.

const char* _msg_txt(struct mmo_charstatus *mmc,int msg_number,int size, char *** msg_table)
{
    char output[128] = "??";
    uint8 lang = mmc->lang;
    if (msg_number >= 0 && msg_number < size){
    if(msg_table[lang][msg_number] != NULL && msg_table[lang][msg_number][0] != '\0')
        output[128] = msg_table[lang][msg_number];
    else if(msg_table[0][msg_number] != NULL && msg_table[0][msg_number][0] != '\0') //fallback
        output[128] = msg_table[0][msg_number];
    }
    return output[128];
}
point was doing the langage treatement in the msg_txt function rather then at each call.

Yes for login that may be annoying, well we don't necessarly need multiple table for login, probably the default would suffice.

yeah, the mmo only check when there is logged player, so only need to translate map_msg.

And some lines of char_msg, maybe can works like map_msg Current Custom Translation by overwriting?

//Custom translations
import: conf/import/msg_conf.txt
//Auction
200: Auction Manager
201: Auction
202: Thanks, you won the auction!.
203: Payment for your auction!.
204: No buyers have been found for your auction.
205: Auction canceled.
206: Auction closed.
207: Auction winner.
208: Someone has placed a higher bid.
209: You have placed a higher bid.
210: You have won the auction.
211: Payment for your auction!.

I will do the Malaysian/Bahasa Malaysia :)

so, you and OnNPlay are Malaysian, I think you're Indonesian. :D

Edited by Cydh
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  737

yes Cydh I was thinking to keep the overwritting, but yeah that pose the issue case : do we overwritte now or do we do a new table ?

I think we could define like in msg_conf folder he create new table and in import he will overwritte.

yes Cydh I was thinking to keep the overwritting, but yeah that pose the issue case : do we overwritte now or do we do a new table ?

I think we could define like in msg_conf folder he create new table and in import he will overwritte.

hmm. but, btw, if overwrite, the effect will be a whole server or only player case?

- if the effect only for client, default is english, if lang_id is not defined, map-server will not overwrite the translation for user, when any player defines lang_id and map-server doesn't read the translation file, map-server will read new translation table. So unused language is not be used for the first time.

- if the effect is a whole server, map-server should reads them all at beginning. And shows the language what player wants.

• Content Count:  737

overwritting is server wide.

actually I just think a bit more we won't even need to deal with folder, since supported filename will be hardcoded, I mean like
MSG_CONF_NAME_EN = "conf/msg_conf/map_msg_en.conf";
MSG_CONF_NAME_BR = "conf/msg_conf/map_msg_br.conf";

etc, unless we make list in a file later.

Anyway that why the bitmask to select wich multilang you wanna load is important, cause I doubt many will want to have en+br+mal+fr+esp+....
Currently yes we read all servers read file at begining and store them into char table, then we simply return those stored value in runtime. (look do_init )
But hmm yeah we could also move the load when a new sd->lang is defined, that would probably be best for ram and I think reading it shouldn't be too cpu extensive. But hmm I'd think we should focus on static first before then perhaps extends to that malloc possibility. (we probably need to add somes timer with it, (too not load and unload too much)).
Otherwise for the sd->lang treatement, well we not necessarly need to treat them in common, more that I think about it login won't be multitable but just with the default one they wished (like an actual import).
Char idk yet, need to be carefull with jobname since they repeated in map, idk what mistmatch will do yet, auction is ok since it's just some mail confirmation.
But in short you could point to correct table in each server msg_txt redefinition like :map_msg_txt() wich probably be easier to deal with then the final _msg_txt().
There a small function like that for each server that point to the common one wich give as argument tell which table to use at wich index. Only annoying point is the fallback will be less effective but well shouldn't happen anyway. (maybe I'll add a bug ShowDebug to ask admin to add translation when fallback happen haha).

• Upvote 2

@lighta,

understand now. :D

@euphy,

@Feistz for Bahasa Malaysia

I'll Bahasa Indonesia. xP

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  2407

I will do the french translation

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  647

No Filipino Translation? xD

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  182

I can lend you a hand on the Spanish translation of the map_msg.conf file if you want but I've been off here for quite a lot of time so there's a chance I don't understand some ones (haven't read the entire file yet but seems there won't be such a problem).

What I don't know is if it'd be better to retain the original names of commands and words like 'job', 'skill', 'pet', 'intimacy', 'party', 'guild' etc., and even to make some Spanglish translations: on the Spanish Ragnarok Online communities slang there's a lot of Spanglishation because of not having had an official translation. It's totally obvious that Spanglihized translations are not correct at all but I think that's far more understandable to RO users.

For example I'd bet more Spanish (and Latin) people would understand better the messages in the first line than in the second one:

Warpeado; Se ha subido tu Base Level; Un GM te ha metido en Jail; Disguise aplicado; (...)
Tele-transportado; Se ha subido tu nivel base; Has sido encarcelado por un GM; Disfraz aplicado; (...)

Anyways, the only thing I know for sure is that there will not be an agreement on a common translation because there are lots of points of view on how things should be translated (the correct or the Spanglishized translation and which message is to be translated what way) and you won't be willing to make room for at least es-ES, es-MX, es-CL and es-AR translations so I'll try to make the most neutral translation I can.

Sorry for being dense: I only wanted to put the first paragraph but I thought it was necessary to make all those aclarations :ani_swt3:.

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  37

I can lend you a hand on the Spanish translation of the map_msg.conf file if you want but I've been off here for quite a lot of time so there's a chance I don't understand some ones (haven't read the entire file yet but seems there won't be such a problem).

What I don't know is if it'd be better to retain the original names of commands and words like 'job', 'skill', 'pet', 'intimacy', 'party', 'guild' etc., and even to make some Spanglish translations: on the Spanish Ragnarok Online communities slang there's a lot of Spanglishation because of not having had an official translation. It's totally obvious that Spanglihized translations are not correct at all but I think that's far more understandable to RO users.

For example I'd bet more Spanish (and Latin) people would understand better the messages in the first line than in the second one:

Warpeado; Se ha subido tu Base Level; Un GM te ha metido en Jail; Disguise aplicado; (...)
Tele-transportado; Se ha subido tu nivel base; Has sido encarcelado por un GM; Disfraz aplicado; (...)

Anyways, the only thing I know for sure is that there will not be an agreement on a common translation because there are lots of points of view on how things should be translated (the correct or the Spanglishized translation and which message is to be translated what way) and you won't be willing to make room for at least es-ES, es-MX, es-CL and es-AR translations so I'll try to make the most neutral translation I can.

Sorry for being dense: I only wanted to put the first paragraph but I thought it was necessary to make all those aclarations :ani_swt3:.

+ 1

If u want, i can contribute with the Spanish translation .w.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  72
  • Content Count:  2997

@Rage: Added to the list.

@jaBote: Thank you for the explanation -- I agree that there should be only one Spanish translation, so any efforts you make in neutrality are greatly appreciated.

@Tragedy: Can you and jaBote collaborate on a single translation? (You can divide the map_msg file or review each others' work.)

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  1654

Great project!

What if there's another user who wants to help too?

Or is it just for the choosen users that is in the list above?

Edited by nanakiwurtz

Great project!

What if there's another user who wants to help too?

Or is it just for the choosen users that is in the list above?

You're very welcome to do so! You'll have to collaborate independently with anyone else working on the translation -- I'll keep the list updated so that you'll know who to contact. Which language are you taking?

• Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  547

I could help snow with the german translation, if needed. :)

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  1654

I think I can team up with Cydh ;)

• Upvote 1

@Lemongrass/nanakiwurtz: Added both of you to the list.

Please post the translations in this topic when finished. Thanks!

EDIT: The list of people working on this project has been moved to the first page.

• Content Count:  326

I think this is not needed, English is more prefered by us "Pinoys", i had also never seen any Filipino server using Tagalog script/msgstrings except use their native dialect for communication/forum (English is pretty much understandable, even official server pRO is full english client lol)

Edited by frenzmu06

I think I can team up with Cydh ;)

we can use Googledocs to edit map_msg.txt. :D

what's your gmail address?

@map_msg

btw, when reading original map_msg, can found wrong typo there. :P

Edited by Cydh

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  85

nice project

Please post the translations in this topic when finished. Thanks!

I and @nanakiwurtz finished translation for Bahasa Indonesia. If any more edit, we will update that file on SVN. :D

Edited by Cydh
  • Upvote 1

I and @nanakiwurtz finished translation for Bahasa Indonesia. If any more edit, we will update that file on SVN. :D

Awesome, thank you! I've updated the initial post with your file.

• Content Count:  182

I've finished translating map_msg.conf into Spanish, but it hasn't been revised yet. I've had problems translating some strings, especially those that aren't used in the source (why maintain them?). I've also had some problems with strings number 1332 and 1353 (related to @itemlist, @storagelist, @cartlist), as there's a harcoded part in them (which only says 'storage', 'cart' or 'inventory', I'd only want to translate inventory and cart because those ones are said and written in Spanish in Spanish-speaking communities). I've skipped translating both the headers of the file and any commented line.

Do I post it before revision? I'd say it's mostly correct and as neutral as I've been able to translate it except for a bunch of them that should not be more than 20 of those messages.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  407

Now and i am finished the translation map_msg.conf to russian.

Link on Russian translate (file should be updated with some messages)

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  209
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  892

lol

no need