GRF: GRF Editor

Tokei

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  82

I have a new suggestion to GRF Editor related to md5 calc feature. Is it possible to calc the md5 of all the files contained in a grf file? It would help a lot to check corrupted grf files and individualice the damaged files.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  657

I have a new suggestion to GRF Editor related to md5 calc feature. Is it possible to calc the md5 of all the files contained in a grf file? It would help a lot to check corrupted grf files and individualice the damaged files.

Hey there,

There is already a feature to check the integrity of the GRF : Tools > Validate Grf. Validating the GRF will try to decompress each entry and tell you which ones couldn't be decompressed properly. It will not compare the file sizes though. The GRF validation is done synchronously contrary to the extracting service (to avoid any asynchronous error). That means if you have no error whlie using the validation tool, then there is an issue with the extraction and I'd very much like to know what went wrong! What "kind" of damaged files are you getting? Are they empty? Are they just plainly impossible to read? Can you upload a few of these files? I'd like to know what their content is like.

The extracting service is rather complex because of the numerous optimizations and this process can be heavy if you're extracting a large amount of small files (small files are treated differently and on another thread). I'll do a few tests on my side anyway, but the service has been stable for quite some time now, so I'm a bit surprised you're having issues.

And thank you for the suggestion! I'll upgrade the validation tool to allow more options and customizations. That feature is one of the first that came with the software and it never got updated, so I'll work on it.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  591

Nice! Thank you!  /no1 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  82

The extracting service is rather complex because of the numerous optimizations and this process can be heavy if you're extracting a large amount of small files (small files are treated differently and on another thread). I'll do a few tests on my side anyway, but the service has been stable for quite some time now, so I'm a bit surprised you're having issues.

I was extracting palettes data from our grf files, when I was checking them I just see some corrupted files (just a very very few ones). I was using then GRF Editor version 1.5.4, I'm using right now the latest version 1.5.6, i have not seen any errores yet, but i will inform you if a see one. Thank you for all of your work!

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  28

First of all, thank you so much for posting this amazing software!

My question is to why encryption is disabled, if it really is…

Image:

2em0q6x.png

Thank you!

Image:

2em0q6x.png

Thank you!

The encryption feature has been disabled due to issues with newer clients (the DLL won't load properly). I left the decryption features on so that people wouldn't have to downgrade to decrypt a GRF. I do plan on bringing back the feature when I have more free time though, but that may take a while, sorry about that!

• Upvote 1

Image:

2em0q6x.png

Thank you!

The encryption feature has been disabled due to issues with newer clients (the DLL won't load properly). I left the decryption features on so that people wouldn't have to downgrade to decrypt a GRF. I do plan on bringing back the feature when I have more free time though, but that may take a while, sorry about that!

Not a problem. Thanks, man!

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  46

I get this error whenver I try to add a new folder to the grf: 

An unhandled exception has been thrown :

índice fora dos limites da matriz.

which roughly translated means;

Index out of matrix limits

or something like that ._.

I'm using Windows 8.1 pro and I had to run it as administrator and compatibility mode for Windows 7

I'm using Windows 8.1 pro and I had to run it as administrator and compatibility mode for Windows 7

Hey there!

The option you're trying to use is only available for folders, it should have been grayed out for the project node (will be fixed in the next version). To add a folder to the root, simply drag and drop from windows. Your project should look like this : 

cHl7fMF.png

If you drop on the "new" node, it will automatically merge the two folders.

As for the "Add" option, it will work for any other tree node, but it is preferred to use drag and drop for everything. The program does need to start with administrator privileges. As for the compatibility mode, that's a bit strange! What error are you getting without the compability mode?

• Upvote 1

Hey there!

The option you're trying to use is only available for folders, it should have been grayed out for the project node (will be fixed in the next version). To add a folder to the root, simply drag and drop from windows. Your project should look like this : 

cHl7fMF.png

If you drop on the "new" node, it will automatically merge the two folders.

As for the "Add" option, it will work for any other tree node, but it is preferred to use drag and drop for everything. The program does need to start with administrator privileges. As for the compatibility mode, that's a bit strange! What error are you getting without the compability mode?

Okay so I found out that if I start it without administrator rights I get this error twice in a row:

UwlXMHf.png

BUT I can add files to the grf ._. (It basically says Access denied to config.txt

weird ._.

If I start with admin rights and windows 7 comp. I get this little prohibition sign when I try to drag and drop... (<- this happens even if it just has admin rights and no windows 7 comp)

If I start it without anything it just won't open ._.

Okay so I found out that if I start it without administrator rights I get this error twice in a row:

UwlXMHf.png

BUT I can add files to the grf ._. (It basically says Access denied to config.txt

weird ._.

If I start with admin rights and windows 7 comp. I get this little prohibition sign when I try to drag and drop... (<- this happens even if it just has admin rights and no windows 7 comp)

If I start it without anything it just won't open ._.

The first error is "normal", the program writes to config.txt file all the time; you need to run it with administrative privileges. This is a requirement for the application to work properly. Without it, you'll get a bunch of exceptions and issues for almost everything you'll do.

The second problem (with drag and drop) is the same as the first one : the application needs administrative privileges. Drag and Drop features on .NET applications require elevated rights (which is pretty annoying to be honest, but I can't do anything about this one).

So basically : always run it with admin rights; I'll add a manifest to the executable that will force you to run it with admin rights on the next release.

• Upvote 1

That makes sense but even if I run it with admin rights it doesn't work properly. I still can't drag and drop. Unless I run it without admin rights ._. weird...

That makes sense but even if I run it with admin rights it doesn't work properly. I still can't drag and drop. Unless I run it without admin rights ._. weird...

Alright, I've looked into this further. Your Windows Explorer doesn't have admin privileges and the User Account Control (UAC) prohibits applications with different privileges from using drag and drop features (even if the program is being ran as admin...). GRF Editor uses the current directory to save his configuration variables, which is under Program Files right now. Writing to this location requires elevated privileges.

I see two solutions to this problem, one rather drastic but efficient and the other a bit annoying.

1) Disable UAC entirely : Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings > Set it to the minimum (you might have to restart). The advantage of this is that you're never going to have any issues with admin privileges ever again and all the applications will be "Run as admin" by default. Plus you won't have to press on "Yes" everytime it asks you "Are you sure you want to run this program?".

2) Move the program's location to somewhere else. Copy the folder of GRF Editor ( C:\Program Files (x86)\GRF Editor ) and paste it in another directory such as C:\GRF Editor. Then start it from there (normally, don't use "Run as admin") and you shouldn't have more issues.

Hopefully this helps!

Edited by Tokei
  • Upvote 1

Alright, I've looked into this further. Your Windows Explorer doesn't have admin privileges and the User Account Control (UAC) prohibits applications with different privileges from using drag and drop features (even if the program is being ran as admin...). GRF Editor uses the current directory to save his configuration variables, which is under Program Files right now. Writing to this location requires elevated privileges.

I see two solutions to this problem, one rather drastic but efficient and the other a bit annoying.

1) Disable UAC entirely : Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings > Set it to the minimum (you might have to restart). The advantage of this is that you're never going to have any issues with admin privileges ever again and all the applications will be "Run as admin" by default. Plus you won't have to press on "Yes" everytime it asks you "Are you sure you want to run this program?".

2) Move the program's location to somewhere else. Copy the folder of GRF Editor ( C:\Program Files (x86)\GRF Editor ) and paste it in another directory such as C:\GRF Editor. Then start it from there (normally, don't use "Run as admin") and you shouldn't have more issues.

Hopefully this helps!

I have UAC disabled since microsoft implemented that on vista. I hate that crap so that won't work >.<

Solution too will probably work. thanks for the info and keep the program going. It's super fast, pretty and useful :)

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1

I am in need of some assistance. It is only partially related to this editor. I have been looking into some game files for Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition and came across a GameRules.grf file. I tried figuring out the format myself, but could not get anywhere. The file does not open with this editor, however I have a strong feeling Tokei knows MUCH more about this file than I do. If Tokei could please contact me so I can show him this file and give me some insight as to how to view the contents of this file it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Email: [email protected]

YouTube: www.youtube.com/oPryzeLP

Twitter: www.twitter.com/oPryzeLP

I have attached this file for anyone else interested at looking into it.

Thanks so much for your time :)

GameRules.grf

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  379

It's not a Gravity grf.

The only similarity is the extension, nothing else, it's not a file to store resources.

Gravity -> grf mean (I guess) : Game File Resources (to store resources data - textures, images, models, world, etc.)

MineCraft ->grf mean -> Game Rule File (so maybe to store rules, game step (mission), just guessing here.).

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  7

This GRF program is by far the best ever created. I can even decompile some .lub I've been killing myself to get them decompiled.

@Tokei

I'd make a lot of money selling this.

Hi, Tokei,

I'd like to suggest adding the "Ctrl + F" function to text files, - and maybe "Ctrl + H" (replacing function) - if that's possible. That'd help a lot!

Thanks!

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  179

Hi, Tokei,

I'd like to suggest adding the "Ctrl + F" function to text files, - and maybe "Ctrl + H" (replacing function) - if that's possible. That'd help a lot!

Thanks!

Yes, I always wondered why that wasn't included in the features of Grf Editor. I hope it is added in the future. It will save a lot of time!

Hi, Tokei,

Thanks!

Yes, I always wondered why that wasn't included in the features of Grf Editor. I hope it is added in the future. It will save a lot of time!

Hi, Tokei,

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion! Here's a quick update on the new features.

Search feature

Includes common options you'd expect from a search tool.

vGwnomr.png

Shortcuts

Ctrl-F : Brings up the search panel (if a word is selected, it will be the default search)

Ctrl-H : Brings up the replace panel

Enter/F3 : Select the next word in the search (or replace the next word)

Shift-Enter/Shift-F3 : Select the previous word in the search

Ctrl-Shit-Down : Select the next word which is highlighted

Ctrl-Shit-Up : Select the previous word which is highlighted

Esc : Closes the search or replace panels and clear the searches.

Shell integration

You can associate shell files with GRF Editor via Tools > Settings > Shell integration > Context menus. If you were using the previous versions of this context menu, I'd strongly suggest you to use "Remove all extensions" to remove any previous registry entries.

The shell integration offers the options shown on the image below; if you'd like something in particular don't hesitate to ask.

WZtkFL0.png

** For XP users, the tool should be installed properly but you might experience "graphic" issues. This feature was developped for Windows Vista onwards.

Resource indexer

This feature allows you to locate the usage of a resource within your GRF.

iMZAme4.png

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  179

GRF Editor has been and will remain the most useful RO Tool for me, only because of your great work, thanks a lot!!

Hi, Tokei,

Thanks!

Hi, Tokei,

Thanks!

Search feature
Includes common options you'd expect from a search tool.

vGwnomr.png

Shortcuts
Ctrl-F : Brings up the search panel (if a word is selected, it will be the default search)
Ctrl-H : Brings up the replace panel
Enter/F3 : Select the next word in the search (or replace the next word)
Shift-Enter/Shift-F3 : Select the previous word in the search
Ctrl-Shit-Down : Select the next word which is highlighted
Ctrl-Shit-Up : Select the previous word which is highlighted
Esc : Closes the search or replace panels and clear the searches.

Shell integration
You can associate shell files with GRF Editor via Tools > Settings > Shell integration > Context menus. If you were using the previous versions of this context menu, I'd strongly suggest you to use "Remove all extensions" to remove any previous registry entries.

The shell integration offers the options shown on the image below; if you'd like something in particular don't hesitate to ask.

WZtkFL0.png

** For XP users, the tool should be installed properly but you might experience "graphic" issues. This feature was developped for Windows Vista onwards.

Resource indexer
This feature allows you to locate the usage of a resource within your GRF.

iMZAme4.png

Amazing update, awesome developer!

Thank you, Tokei!

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1302

how to enable drag and drop sir ?  from desktop to grf ? 

@tokei

Edited by mrlongshen

@tokei

The drag and drop features are always enabled. Update to the latest version and see if that resolved your issue (there has been fixes regarding drag and drop). If that didn't help, here are some steps that you can try :

- Try to run the application without admin privileges (right-click on the desktop shortcut > Properties > Compabitlity tab > Privilege Level at the bottom, make sure "Run this program as an administrator" is not checked).

- Try to run the application with admin privileges (right-click > Run as administrator).

One of the two options above should have done the trick (normally the first one), if not...

- Move the executable files to another folder, such as "C:\Grf"; the files are usually located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\GRF Editor\". Try to run it again.

- Disable UAC entirely and restart your computer (this is a last resort solution, but it will fix all drag and drop issues). Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Change User Account Control settings > Set it to the minimum and restart.

The reason for this problem comes from UAC which restricts drag and drop features between processes with different privileges. Windows Explorer is normally started without admin privileges even if you're an admin user and that's rather annoying. Hopefully though, your issue will be gone with the first two options!

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1302

@tokei

The drag and drop features are always enabled. Update to the latest version and see if that resolved your issue (there has been fixes regarding drag and drop). If that didn't help, here are some steps that you can try :

- Try to run the application without admin privileges (right-click on the desktop shortcut > Properties > Compabitlity tab > Privilege Level at the bottom, make sure "Run this program as an administrator" is not checked).

- Try to run the application with admin privileges (right-click > Run as administrator).

One of the two options above should have done the trick (normally the first one), if not...

- Move the executable files to another folder, such as "C:\Grf"; the files are usually located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\GRF Editor\". Try to run it again.

- Disable UAC entirely and restart your computer (this is a last resort solution, but it will fix all drag and drop issues). Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Change User Account Control settings > Set it to the minimum and restart.

The reason for this problem comes from UAC which restricts drag and drop features between processes with different privileges. Windows Explorer is normally started without admin privileges even if you're an admin user and that's rather annoying. Hopefully though, your issue will be gone with the first two options!

hello sir, thanks for the reply. currently i have disable my windows 8.1 UAC. but I tried to drag from desktop to grf still not working. I have do all step you mention, but its still not working.

please help me, before this. i think your old grf editor (forgot the version, i thought 6 month ago its work)

Please help me. because i love your GRF editor. easy and user friendly.