GRF: GRF Editor

Tokei

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  104

Seems working fine, but you need improve on GUI...

Such as what? I think the GUI's pretty much done, what would you suggest updating? I'm aware there are a couple of common shortcuts missing, such as the del key or F2 key, but that will be added in the next release.

I'd rather have simple intuitive interface than flashy blue toolbar with distracting progress bar there (I'm glad it didn't burn my eyes yet).

From reply #9, the translucent error message.. that's really superfluous...reading those text can distracted from stuff behind.. just why need translucent in first?

Is windows's default interface that terrible that you have to do things that seems like mimic something else?

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  659

I'd rather have simple intuitive interface than flashy blue toolbar with distracting progress bar there (I'm glad it didn't burn my eyes yet).

From reply #9, the translucent error message.. that's really superfluous...reading those text can distracted from stuff behind.. just why need translucent in first?

Is windows's default interface that terrible that you have to do things that seems like mimic something else?

It's not exactly a tool bar ;), so that part will stay for sure, and to be honest... that's not really flashy. It's a simple and basic linear gradient that goes from blue to a darker blue.

What about the progress bar? It's... windows's default progress bar with some text on top of it ;o. Nothing harmful in my opinion, so that will stay as well. Plus I like it! If you want to disable the indeterminate state (the flashy thing that goes around every x seconds), you can now disable the UI transparency. This override windows's style and replace the progress bar with one that doesn't have that glowing thing and you will need to restart the application to see the changes.

As for the transparency though, some people may find it annoying and an option has been added. Transparency was useful to see behind the window and that was the whole point of it. I do find windows's interface terrible, but it has nothing to do with the application... Anyway, an option has been added to switch back to the default's windows style for most of the components (the menus and menu items will not be changed, not for now at least).

The user from the post #9 is using windows XP, so I'm surprised it looks this good to begin with.There are missing default fonts on that computer as well and the progress bar you see has been frozen/fixed ages ago. So it's not a very good reference.

Hopefully these changes would satisfy you, even though it's not exactly what you asked.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  22

i can't run it. on windows 7 even I run it as Administrator. it won't start. :'(

You need .Net version 4 or more to be able to run it (also WPF applications take longer to load for their first time). -> http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=17718

Same here...i try downloading .Net version 4..but still not working.. :(

Edited by everiel

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  14

This most often indicates that the GRF is corrupted and the program is failing to decompress the file. You'd have to provide more information about the issue, such as :

- How was the GRF made in the first place (did you use this tool or something else?)

- The GRF format (right-click in a white space in the tree-view, then select Properties and give me this line : GRFData.Header.Version : 0x***)

- The program's version (File -> About -> Version is shown at the top)

- Any operation that you've made on the GRF

- Does this happen for any file you're trying to open?

- Other useful information you can think of that could help track down this "bug" (try to reproduce it if you can)

- Ultimately, you could upload your GRF if it's relatively small (<25MB) so that I could debug it myself

(Again, answer on the forum instead!)

Just because my GRF combined with SECURE GRF, so i haven't found any solutions about this yet, i'd hope u find the solution. Thanks in advance~

Same here...i try downloading .Net version 4..but still not working.. :(

You'd have to be more specific than that then, because I'm not sure what the issue could be at this point. You need Windows XP SP3 or more to be able to run this application as well (I just learnt about this recently).

Just because my GRF combined with SECURE GRF, so i haven't found any solutions about this yet, i'd hope u find the solution. Thanks in advance~

Ah, Secure GRF. There are multiple "issues" while working with Secure GRF. The whole point of that software is to not be able to read the GRF's files content with GRF editors; if this application was able to read the content then securing it would be pointless. The file table must be readable for patchers and the client, which is why you can still see all the files.

You need to decrypt your GRF first before using this tool (I'm assuming Secure GRF can do that if you know the password used?). If not, you'd have to use the client's modified cps.dll file to decrypt everything (compress/uncompress methods; which will obviously not be a feature of this software for "security" reasons).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  14

Ah, Secure GRF. There are multiple "issues" while working with Secure GRF. The whole point of that software is to not be able to read the GRF's files content with GRF editors; if this application was able to read the content then securing it would be pointless. The file table must be readable for patchers and the client, which is why you can still see all the files.

You need to decrypt your GRF first before using this tool (I'm assuming Secure GRF can do that if you know the password used?). If not, you'd have to use the client's modified cps.dll file to decrypt everything (compress/uncompress methods; which will obviously not be a feature of this software for "security" reasons).

Oh, well ... Thanks for informations ~

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  379

I don't love the UI but I'm impressed by its speed (loading and searching, I didn't compare others features), it seems faster than others GRF Tool I tested (even a bit faster than my GRF Viewer, but yeah mine is writing in javascript).

Good job, keep it up :)

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  81

VERY NICE 10/10 Thank you so much !

Edited by Yahiko

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  23

I tried building a new grf with this tools, everything work fine except that my ro client seems not to be able to read it for reasons... i tried 0x200 encoding only thou...

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  115

amazing :D

better to use this one :)

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  345

Fast and incredible. I love it, it's top grf editor now.

I tried building a new grf with this tools, everything work fine except that my ro client seems not to be able to read it for reasons... i tried 0x200 encoding only thou...

Any recent client should be able to read any GRF file version, especially 0x200. Are you able to read the GRF in your client if you make it from another program? Perhaps you forgot to include the grf name in the data.ini file of your RO client? If the application is able to read your GRF, then the client should be able as well, it's most likely a client configuration issue at this point.

no data.ini was alright, i tried building another GRF with 0x103 and it was alright, so i think it has problem but only with 0x200...

• Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1182

why, i'm can't instal this program with my netbook even i'm already installed net framework 4.0

Sorry for the delay, I was busy!

no data.ini was alright, i tried building another GRF with 0x103 and it was alright, so i think it has problem but only with 0x200...

I've double checked everything and I'm having absolutely no issues with the 0x200 version. The packing/extracting process is really straightforward for the 0x200 version as well. Have you tried building a GRF with another tool to check if the issue persist? If you're able to read the GRF only with the 0x103 version, then it's very, very weird and I'm not sure what could be causing the problem here. If you can give me a specific and simple scenario that I can reproduce, that would be very helpful!

why, i'm can't instal this program with my netbook even i'm already installed net framework 4.0

Download the newest version (1.1.3) and use the MSI installer (GRF Editor Installer). It *should* install any missing libraries. Tell me if this helped  :).

@Tokei : using 1.1.3 success at instalation but when i'm run the program it showed Error

I've double checked everything and I'm having absolutely no issues with the 0x200 version. The packing/extracting process is really straightforward for the 0x200 version as well. Have you tried building a GRF with another tool to check if the issue persist? If you're able to read the GRF only with the 0x103 version, then it's very, very weird and I'm not sure what could be causing the problem here. If you can give me a specific and simple scenario that I can reproduce, that would be very helpful!

>

Download the newest version (1.1.3) and use the MSI installer (GRF Editor Installer). It *should* install any missing libraries. Tell me if this helped  :).

I tried the GRF Builder yesterday, and it was working fine...

I have some weird issue with this tool, like for example the GRF i made with this tool is somehow not patchable either by using Thor / Neon...

The only error notification i got is "GRF Version is outdated"

@Tokei : using 1.1.3 success at instalation but when i'm run the program it showed Error

What is the error? People are having issues with windows xp and I'm still trying to find what's causing the problem but to be honest... all my virtual machines with windows xp are able to run the program perfectly fine.

&gt

;

lockquote>

Download the newest version (1.1.3) and use the MSI installer (GRF Editor Installer). It *should* install any missing libraries. Tell me if this helped   :).

I tried the GRF Builder yesterday, and it was working fine...

I have some weird issue with this tool, like for example the GRF i made with this tool is somehow not patchable either by using Thor / Neon...

The only error notification i got is "GRF Version is outdated"

An "outdated GRF version" is probably because you made a 0x102/0x103 file, which is not supported by Thor patcher (this apply to your main GRF or your patches as well). Thor patcher only works with the 0x200 version, which you can check by doing the following :
75030214.png

Change it back in the settings, save and it should hopefully fix your issue.
Edited by Tokei

• 2 weeks later...

Tokei, on 23 Mar 2013 - 03:57, said:

hendra814, on 20 Mar 2013 - 16:28, said:

What is the error? People are having issues with windows xp and I'm still trying to find what's causing the problem but to be honest... all my virtual machines with windows xp are able to run the program perfectly fine.

I don't know what happened, but after i'm instaled AVG PC tune up 2013 and tune up my laptop, and now GRF Editor application working fine.

edited:

i'm found the main issue why this application not running at windows XP.

the problem is when using other or custom "Appearance", I'm try to swicth into windows clasic or windows default style this application could be opened. but when i'm choose other style this application gone crash when i'm opened.

Edited by hendra814

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what happened, but after i'm instaled AVG PC tune up 2013 and tune up my laptop, and now GRF Editor application working fine.

edited:

i'm found the main issue why this application not running at windows XP.

the problem is when using other or custom "Appearance", I'm try to swicth into windows clasic or windows default style this application could be opened. but when i'm choose other style this application gone crash when i'm opened.

Oups, forgot to respond to that. Yes, that could be the issue, I'm still not able to reproduce it though =/. I'm glad you managed to get it working anyway!

Also, big updates on the software. The act animations are now being fully rendered; this has been on the todo list for weeks (if not months). I've added a ton of other stuff you won't notice, but the program is really, really stable now.

• There should no more UI lag
  • Any threaded operation can be cancelled
  • Added a third layer on the GRF manipulation, to ensure your data will not get corrupted / bugged / lost
  • Using a new engine for the image processing (should be faster to load data, it uses its own structure and the images will never be loaded unless they're being used)
  • Upgraded these formats : act, spr, gnd, grf, rsm, rsw, pal and rgz.
  • All windows now use a canvas (easier to modify / make new windows)
  • Preview images can be saved as Indexed8 bmp images, useful to generate minimaps
  • Changed the location of the files so that they use the temp folder instead of throwing everything in the application's folder (it was getting messy)
  • The speed of extraction and packing shouldn't have changed at all even with the new features

I've added the source code of the application for those interested (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7z6hkdag4ayj8rs). If you have questions feel free to ask, but the sub project GRFTester shows pretty much everything you would need to know in order to make your own GRF application. You need these dependencies for a new project : GRF.dll, ErrorManager.dll, Utilities.dll and Ionic.Zlib.dll. The library can read almost any file format and I believe that should be helpful for making applications! Everything's in C# so that should be easy to understand and customize.

If you have an idea to improve the software or simply a new feature you'd like to see, go ahead and ask!

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  587

The revision 1.2.2 wasn't running at winxp again  can you fix it?

crash log

--------------    2013/5/29 P.M 01:45:46    --------------
System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException: Cannot convert string 'NearestNeighbor' in attribute 'BitmapScalingMode' to object of type 'System.Windows.Media.BitmapScalingMode'. NearestNeighbor is not a valid value for BitmapScalingMode.  Error at object 'System.Windows.Controls.Image' in markup file 'GRF Editor;component/editormainwindow.xaml'. ---> System.FormatException: NearestNeighbor is not a valid value. ---> System.ArgumentException: Requested value 'NearestNeighbor' was not found.
   at System.Enum.Parse(Type enumType, String value, Boolean ignoreCase)
   at System.ComponentModel.EnumConverter.ConvertFrom(ITypeDescriptorContext context, CultureInfo culture, Object value)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.ComponentModel.EnumConverter.ConvertFrom(ITypeDescriptorContext context, CultureInfo culture, Object value)
   at System.ComponentModel.TypeConverter.ConvertFromString(ITypeDescriptorContext context, CultureInfo culture, String text)
   at System.Windows.Markup.XamlTypeMapper.ParseProperty(Object targetObject, Type propType, String propName, Object dpOrPiOrFi, ITypeDescriptorContext typeContext, ParserContext parserContext, String value, Int16 converterTypeId)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException.ThrowException(String message, Exception innerException, Int32 lineNumber, Int32 linePosition, Uri baseUri, XamlObjectIds currentXamlObjectIds, XamlObjectIds contextXamlObjectIds, Type objectType)
   at System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException.ThrowException(ParserContext parserContext, Int32 lineNumber, Int32 linePosition, String message, Exception innerException)
   at System.Windows.Markup.BamlRecordReader.ThrowException(String message, Exception innerException)
   at System.Windows.Markup.BamlRecordReader.CreateInstanceFromType(Type type, Int16 typeId, Boolean throwOnFail)
   at System.Windows.Markup.BamlRecordReader.GetElementAndFlags(BamlElementStartRecord bamlElementStartRecord, Object& element, ReaderFlags& flags, Type& delayCreatedType, Int16& delayCreatedTypeId)
   at System.Windows.Markup.BamlRecordReader.BaseReadElementStartRecord(BamlElementStartRecord bamlElementRecord)
   at System.Windows.Markup.BamlRecordReader.ReadElementStartRecord(BamlElementStartRecord bamlElementRecord)
   at System.Windows.Markup.BamlRecordReader.ReadRecord(BamlRecord bamlRecord)
   at System.Windows.Markup.BamlRecordReader.Read(Boolean singleRecord)
   at System.Windows.Markup.TreeBuilderBamlTranslator.ParseFragment()
   at System.Windows.Markup.TreeBuilder.Parse()
   at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.LoadBaml(Stream stream, ParserContext parserContext, Object parent, Boolean closeStream)
   at System.Windows.Application.LoadBamlStreamWithSyncInfo(Stream stream, ParserContext pc)
   at MS.Internal.AppModel.AppModelKnownContentFactory.BamlConverter(Stream stream, Uri baseUri, Boolean canUseTopLevelBrowser, Boolean sandboxExternalContent, Boolean allowAsync, Boolean isJournalNavigation, XamlReader& asyncObjectConverter)
   at MS.Internal.AppModel.MimeObjectFactory.GetObjectAndCloseStream(Stream s, ContentType contentType, Uri baseUri, Boolean canUseTopLevelBrowser, Boolean sandboxExternalContent, Boolean allowAsync, Boolean isJournalNavigation, XamlReader& asyncObjectConverter)
   at System.Windows.Navigation.NavigationService.GetObjectFromResponse(WebRequest request, WebResponse response, Uri destinationUri, Object navState)
   at System.Windows.Navigation.NavigationService.DoNavigate(Uri source, NavigationMode f, Object navState)
   at System.Windows.Navigation.NavigateQueueItem.Dispatch(Object obj)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)

I regret picking WPF as the base framework for this software, it has huge compability issues with Windows XP. Anyway, I found the actual issue (thanks for the crash log, this made it very quick) and as it happens, it appears to target Windows XP Home Edition only. If you don't want to wait, you can download the most recent version by going there : http://www.mediafire.com/?aflylbhblrzpz0h . I'm waiting a bit before releasing a new version on rA because I want to run more tests on Windows XP to prevent all similar issues (it's getting really annoying, for everyone). Either way, sorry about this inconvenience!

(You will find another file, "GRF Editor.exe.config" that will help detect the most suitable .net framekwork compatible with the program. Using the installer will create the file automatically, so I'd suggest running that instead. Hopefully this should fix your current issue; I just tested on a fresh Windows XP Home Edition installation from the MSI installer.)

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  587

I regret picking WPF as the base framework for this software, it has huge compability issues with Windows XP. Anyway, I found the actual issue (thanks for the crash log, this made it very quick) and as it happens, it appears to target Windows XP Home Edition only. If you don't want to wait, you can download the most recent version by going there : http://www.mediafire.com/?aflylbhblrzpz0h . I'm waiting a bit before releasing a new version on rA because I want to run more tests on Windows XP to prevent all similar issues (it's getting really annoying, for everyone). Either way, sorry about this inconvenience!

(You will find another file, "GRF Editor.exe.config" that will help detect the most suitable .net framekwork compatible with the program. Using the installer will create the file automatically, so I'd suggest running that instead. Hopefully this should fix your current issue; I just tested on a fresh Windows XP Home Edition installation from the MSI installer.)

Thx , The new temporary GRF Editor was working at windows xp pro   now  /no1

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  58

Hi, I am having a bit of an issue with grf editor. 
I recently just switched to Data Folder 4.0. 
http://rathena.org/board/topic/66962-basic-complete-renewal-data-english-folder/

And the .exe is failing to read the new grf.

Steps I use:

1. Use GRF Builder to build my grf

2. Save it to my Ro Folder 

3. Patch the GRF with Data 4.0 Folder

4. Once finished, try to open the new FRESHLY patched grf, w/o any new content

5. Result: Folders show, but nothing happened. 
No Images

No files

Just the empty folders.

I have checked a V3 folder and it works perfectly. 

Can some one please check if this is occurring only to me? 

Fixed
I used GRFCL
Great Product!

Edited by Deimler