Is rathena too limiting?

renegade

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14

Hi guys,

Have you source developers ever thought that rAthena was too limiting, and decided to use another game engine that looks like RO to fit your needs?

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  587

It is not our goal to make an MMORPG engine that can be used for another game.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  123

Limit in what? If you mean limiting in features, i can say it yes.

Let's just talk about lot of rA developers, do you think one of them haven't private server? And for sure, they will update or improve in their server first to attach people and earn some adventages before take it to rAthena.

Am i hate this? NO!! it's very very okay for them. We (non-developer) are enjoying this free engine from developer. We are not supposed to be complaining about "limiting" and bla bla bla.. Bro, you have it free, and you want the developer treat you as their king? lol.

Glad to see rA still alive for years. Appreciated.

btw i am wondering why @Secrets always stick on @Akkarin in every topics <3
you guys in a relationship or what... lol

Edited by Psyche

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  737

@Akinari and @Akkarin are 2 different people.

Which limit are you thinking of @renegade ? the emulator is pretty open with lot of thing done via config. (to avoid the need of edit code).

Now if we speak about real limit, you have no plugins support yet but you can just edit the code directly. (we working on it tough, but plugins really shine when you can choose from a various bunch and which also allow release people to not share their code. (could be a little dangerous)).

Beside this another hard limit is that it doesn't support multithread and it's not perfect for scaling out the box. multi map-server, char-server and such are good for scaling as you could dispatch the burden on various device but they not perfectly supported imo. (due to most people using 1 server per type and even those on same host...

Aside this io operation aren't all async so that a lost of performance but that quite the same category as multithread. And finally we don't provide a package manager to easily add new libraries (such as boost hibernate or whatever).

Now thoses aren't real limitation imo as we don't prevent you to add them, in fact some are quite easy to do, the limitation come that since this isn't in place other might not link the same way as you and you could have some issue to merge. But beside that if you an ok dev you quite have all the liberty whatever you want.

I'm curious to hear your limitations tough.

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  587

16 hours ago, Psyche said:

Let's just talk about lot of rA developers, do you think one of them haven't private server? And for sure, they will update or improve in their server first to attach people and earn some adventages before take it to rAthena.

I don't run private servers for years, most of us also don't. Next time check the fact before spilling bullshit again. Thanks.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  123

On 12/21/2017 at 5:32 PM, Secrets said:

I don't run private servers for years, most of us also don't. Next time check the fact before spilling bullshit again. Thanks.

wow wow wow take it slow, mate

My post does not mean to hit you, i said it was 'one of them (ra dev)'. who knows they (server owner) have paid one of you (ra dev/staff) to code their things?

If i talk "80% rA dev do the private server", i accepted your comment.

oh, and i show my respect to all of you. you can re-read (or read?) my comment again

Am i hate this? NO!! it's very very okay for them. We (non-developer) are enjoying this free engine from developer. We are not supposed to be complaining about "limiting" and bla bla bla.. Bro, you have it free, and you want the developer treat you as their king? lol.

Next time please understand people opinion and read fully before spilling bullshit like this. Thank you very much.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  2407

Except Nova (who actually has his own dev to gather their infos) none of us are running private server.

On 20/12/2017 at 7:21 PM, Psyche said:

And for sure, they will update or improve in their server first to attach people and earn some adventages before take it to rAthena.

Stop spilling bullshit. I don't feel any respect on your comment.

Any other comments off topic will now be deleted. Thanks for understanding.