Changing to rAthena ~

Xhiro

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46

Okay okay. I know most of you are going to say or think along the following lines

There's already alot of guides, use search function / google it

I know. I've read practically every guide that was ever mentioned in this rAthena forum. Unfortunately I either do not understand them (slightly) or they don't apply or they are outdated. Thus why I prefer to ask my question here by making a thread instead of referring to multiple guides. It also saves some of my time as I don't need to figure out which is outdated and should/should not be following anymore.

First of all, my situation.

I currently have a RO server which is a joint project with 2 other friends. We decided to rent a VPS. During that time, I had little to almost no knowledge of anything RO related (except game play). Thus we decided to take the offer given to us by the VPS which included server rental, installation of SGCP and eAthena.

After finding out more about RO from rAthena forums (I haven't been able to stop reading this forums for the past 1-2 weeks), I decided to change some stuff regarding our server.

Ok. Here are my questions.

1. I currently have have eAthena Version SVN r696M (Obtained by typing @version ingame). I would like to change this to rAthena. My question is, if I were to install rAthena, do I have to wipe my databases? I'm guessing that the answer will be "No".
  2. I read that changing from eAthena to rAthena requires changes in the MySQL. Would it be better to delete and re-install my MySQL or just updating it? I'm currently using phpMyAdmin - 2.11.11.3 and MySQL client version: 5.1.61.
  3. I have SGCP which I found out has bad reception after reading this forums alot. Therefore I would like to use FluxCP-Renewal which was posted by CalciumKid here. It also says that it requires renewal. In this topic, Ryax mentioned about creating a new user in the MySQL. I can't find it. (Perhaps I'm blind /wah) (Note : Ryax needs to update his images, its all invalid now)
  4. Does rAthena have renewal mobs that I am able to add while using pre-renewal mechanics?

I took more then 2 hours to write this thead. My head is spinning /panic I think I find scripting easier then finding all these info. /hum I actually had a few more questions in mind but by the time I wrote this four down with as much information as possible I forgot them. I'll ask them when I can remember. :unsure: For now, thanks to anyone who is willing to reply me.

Special thanks to Michealsoftman, Vach and Winz for helping me out. :meow:

Edited by Xhiro

• Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  410

1 - If you are going to stick to pre-renewal, the databases are pretty much the same, just more up to date. With Renewal, there are some changes, to the item-db at least. (I think, I never really stopped to compare them. Maybe someone else can answer this.)

2 - I think you misunderstand, you don't have to update MySQL, just the tables used in the database.

3 - For creating a new user in your database, you can follow any ragnarok SQL server setup guide, they do the default of having a user and pass of 'ragnarok' and 'ragnarok', which you SHOULDN'T do on a real server, but you can easily change that.

4 - Yes, but you'd have to alter their stats unless you like mobs that deal 30k damage and have above 99 def.

1 - If you are going to stick to pre-renewal, the databases are pretty much the same, just more up to date. With Renewal, there are some changes, to the item-db at least. (I think, I never really stopped to compare them. Maybe someone else can answer this.)

2 - I think you misunderstand, you don't have to update MySQL, just the tables used in the database.

3 - For creating a new user in your database, you can follow any ragnarok SQL server setup guide, they do the default of having a user and pass of 'ragnarok' and 'ragnarok', which you SHOULDN'T do on a real server, but you can easily change that.

4 - Yes, but you'd have to alter their stats unless you like mobs that deal 30k damage and have above 99 def.

Hi, thanks for replying quickly.

1. Hmm....

2. Umm... Okay... I'm pretty bad at MySQL. I barely understand anything in the phpmyadmin page.

3. I forgot to mention that my server uses Linux. It seems like Linux is different then Windows. Correct me if I'm wrong. (Again, I'm really bad at MySQL)

4. Okay :)

So from that I assume that my following steps should be as follows

Install rAthena and get it to work > Update the MySQL tables used in the database > Install FluxCP-RE (Can I just install it over SGCP? Or do I need to do anything to my current SGCP?) > Finish

I think...? /hmm

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  326

I'm going to be honest with you, transferring between systems is not an easy process and you are going to have to do a considerable amount of editing and bug testing. Be prepared for the endeavor, because "starting over" from scratch with a fresh installation will look better the more you look into your project.

That being said, I've been there... I just converted from a version of eAthena that was 8 years old... NIGHTMARE TERRITORY. So, I want to offer my help and expertise in the matter.

First, I have some questions. I'm assuming you have complete control of your VPS? Root access, blah blah blah. And it's running on a linux server, you said? How many years old is this server?

Now, your questions:

1) You don't have to wipe your databases, but you'll have to update them by adding new columns to many tables and editing certain fields... Manually, to make sure everything works with rAthena. If you have a bajillion players this becomes a much more difficult task.

Most of the tables have different values in rAthena and some have different compositions of what is in those values. Main differences are item_db fields in RE mechanics and the mob_db is missing an entire column, but otherwise the database fields are mostly interchangable. Your big task is migrating save data on the MySQL database.

2) As michaelsoftman said, you don't have to update your version of the MySQL software... Just updating the tables (big charts that store the data in lists). If you don't care about your characters saves just delete everything and start fresh.

3) I suggest you learn about editing your MySQL tables and understanding their function before attemping anythng here. You're going to be looking at those tables a lot if you're planning on migrating data.

4) michaelsoftman's got this one. You can use all existing mob sprites for whatever purpose, but just be ready to modify their stats so your pre-re characters don't buy the farm.

Do you have any custom databases or custom mods? If you don't, this means you can use a fresh rAthena install and just migrate your data to rAthena compatible MySQL tables. However, the next step is getting a client that works... This is important and often way more difficult than it sounds. You need to compile the rAthena source code to fit the right RagRE client date or make sure you are using a client exe compatible with a pre-compiled rAthena release.

What client version are your players using?

I hope I gave you information you needed and helped get you started. Feel free to ask more. =P

I sense a massive headache incoming soon /wah

Ok I'll start off by answering your question.

I'm not sure if its counted as full access. We paid our hoster, he gave us a folder and we have control of everything in that folder only. Which contains everything we have on our server, the eAthena server files and stuff. If I were to move one folder up, I can see he has many other folders for other people who uses his services too but we don't have access to that. Since we have full control of everything in our folder, does this technically mean I have full access?

I believe its a linux server as the method I use to recompile and restart the server is following the linux commands. As to how old it is... I'm not too sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We just started off, it hasn't had an official release to the public yet. So it is technically fine to wipe everything if it makes my life easier in installing rAthena. Since I'm not going to be migrating much data (practically none actually since we are all okay in starting fresh), I think my basic knowledge of editing SQL by referring to a step-by-step guide should be enough I assume? I don't technically understand it but I know how to manage it abit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I do not have any custom mods, though I have some custom databases. We could most likely re-add them later after getting the rAthena to work. Getting a client that works, I have no idea about this. I would prefer not to use a pre-compiled release of rAthena if possible since it limits certain stuff (I read this in the wiki I think?). Don't know what client version. It was given to us by the host who did the installation for us. Not really sure.

Sorry for all the long questions and stuff... Gladly appreciate your help :meow:

2. Umm... Okay... I'm pretty bad at MySQL. I barely understand anything in the phpmyadmin page.

3. I forgot to mention that my server uses Linux. It seems like Linux is different then Windows. Correct me if I'm wrong. (Again, I'm really bad at MySQL)

If you're using phpmyadmin, it doesn't matter if you're using Windows or Linux.

They have built in commands to add / delete users, databases, etc.

And uh, if you have access to only one folder, that's not exactly a good thing. :P What kind of host are you using?

And uh, if you have access to only one folder, that's not exactly a good thing. :P What kind of host are you using?

Umm... This. Was relatively cheap and was around for quite awhile so we felt it was more trustworthy. I don't think its a very bad thing to just have 1 folder... or is it? Since our host isn't hosting just for us...

Well, if you move up in the directory list, what other folders do you see?

A VPS comes with many folders containing system files and whatnot.

If a bunch of people are actually stuffed into a single VPS, using the same IP, just with different ports, that could be rather horrible.

Well, if you move up in the directory list, what other folders do you see?

A VPS comes with many folders containing system files and whatnot.

If a bunch of people are actually stuffed into a single VPS, using the same IP, just with different ports, that could be rather horrible.

If I move up, I can see other people's folders though I have no access to any of them. If I move up again, I can see alot of folders that looks like system folders (I think).

At any rate, we have subscription to this VPS for awhile and I don't want to waste it. We may consider changing VPS in the future, but not anytime soon.

So back to topic, where should I start? Vach made it sound complicated /wah

Do you have any edits to the actual eathena source you're using? If not, just download and compile the latest rAthena version. Then replace it, clean, configure, and compile it on your VPS, then run it like normal.

You will have to use rAthena's SQL files though. There are extra fields in the tables not in eAthena.

Easiest way is to just wipe EVERYTHING and install rAthena. But if you want to keep what you have, it'll take a lot more work.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  341

A little advice here. Do a backup, before you start doing anything. And yes, it is much much easier to configure a new copy of rAthena.

There are edits but nothing major so I don't mind throwing them away and restarting for the sake of getting rAthena.

So I'll be using this compilation? Just confirming, don't really want to do it multiple times for whatever reason.

And truthfully I don't get how to do this.

This is important and often way more difficult than it sounds. You need to compile the rAthena source code to fit the right RagRE client date or make sure you are using a client exe compatible with a pre-compiled rAthena release.

He mentioned that there are clients that are compatible with the pre-compiled rAthena release. In the compilation it says "Packer version: Client 4,10,2012". Is this the client?

Sorry if my questions are becoming increasingly dumb... The more I read the more I'm losing it /wah

EDIT : @Joseph, I definately will. Thanks for the advice.

Edit 2 : wrong emoticon... didn't notice until now /swt

Edited by Xhiro

Well, do you know how to actually compile rAthena? It's not difficult at all. And changing it for your client date is literally one number changed.

It's much much better than using a pre-compiled release. The one you pointed to is 14 revisions behind current.

From reading the many guides and topics out there, I have more or less a rough idea on how to do so. I think I'm supposed to follow this guide and followed by this?

And I don't really get what you mean in this line.

And changing it for your client date is literally one number changed.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I've only started looking into eAthena/rAthena projects starting 1-2 weeks ago. Not much experience in many fields yet. /ene/abs

If you want to compile rAthena, all you have to do is download the most recent SVN, transfer it to your VPS, edit the client date in mmo.h, then run the compile command. Usually I run it as ./configure && make clean && make sql

In mmo.h, you change this line.

#define PACKETVER 20120410

You just change the number. It goes Year-month-day. So 20120410 is 04 / 10 / 2012.

So after you change that number to whatever your client is, you run the command, it'll compile, and then you can start / stop or do whatever you'd like with your server.

Update : I think I've done everything correctly up till the part where I am supposed to migrate the SQL tables from eAthena to rAthena.

What I have done so far

--> Grabbed the latest SVN using the linux command

svn checkout https://rathena.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/rathena/trunk/ ~/trunk

--> Edited the mmo.h to the correct PACKETVER (I think)

--> Edited the conf files to my VPS IP, ID, Password and ports

--> Changed my SQL table using this

ALTER TABLE `login` CHANGE `level` `group_id` TINYINT( 3 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0'

Now I'm having the same error as this thread which as far as I could tell is due to me using the wrong packetver. I'll take this as a chance to update to a newer client. What's the latest stable client? Can't seem to find it around. Closest I found was this but its a few months old and the mediafire link is dead. Any ideas?

The most stable, up to date client is 2012 / 04 / 10a I think.

http://supportmii.com/ro1/Clients/Judas_Setups/2012_Setup/

• Upvote 1

Oh man! I missed a lot when I didn't log in all day! XD

Hmm... well it appears you have already gotten a lot of questions answered and things solved. With that being said, I'll add a little bit here from some things I saw in the thread so far.

After checking out the VPS you are renting from, I would make sure you can backup your content and move to a more professional service when you can. You should have your own root directory structure and the host machine is really far from most players. Asura hosting (which can be searched on this forum) is really good, if you don't want to host stuff yourself.

As was already stated, if you don't really have any important edits just wipe and delete everything and reinstall. I saw that you were trying to merge tables and was curious if you're planning on using MySQL item_db and mob_db, because those tables will be different then eAthena (especially the rc you were using).

The packet_ver you need to update that was mentioned in that thread is in the packet_db.txt file in your db/ folder (listed as packet_db_ver). The most recent SVN has it as default, which should work with client 2012-04-10 by default. Again, michaelsoftman is correct, the latest up to date client before the new lua revisions is 2012-04-10. I would use the data folder here:

http://rathena.org/board/topic/54190-release-basic-rathena-client/

And then download the up to date Lua Package here:

http://subversion.assembla.com/svn/ClientSide

At least that's what I recommend.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that you want pre-re mechanics, and the compilation of rAthena defaults to RE mechanics... you need to recompile by editing the configuration .h files to the pre-re settings that you want. This also ensures the correct databases are used and pointed to with other files (as well as NPC scripts).

Hi Vach,

I saw Asura hosting yesterday its probably worth considering but temporarily we will stay on our VPS.

I didn't really delete anything. I just did some steps as I mentioned in one of my previous post. It seems to be working fine except the client part currently (haven't worked on it yet). I'll download the client in abit.

Yes I know I have to recompile the mechanics (I believe it was merely commenting out the renewal mechanics lines in the config somewhere). Haven't started on that yet as currently I can't even login my server.

Currently I'm attempting to install FluxCP-RE. Will work on the client problem again once I manage to figure this out /heh

Thanks for your time Vach :meow:

EDIT : I'm unable to install FluxCP-RE. I keep getting redirected to this page.

5sPRa.png

These are my application.php and server.php

'ServerAddress'		=> 'myro.com:22',			  // This value is the hostname:port under which Flux runs. (e.g., example.com or example.com:80)
'BaseURI'			  => 'cp',					   // The base URI is the base web root on which your application lies.
'InstallerPassword'	=> 'pass',		 // Installer/updater password.

'DbConfig'	   => array(
  //'Socket'	 => '/tmp/mysql.sock',
  //'Port'	   => 3306,
  //'Encoding'   => 'utf8', // Connection encoding -- use whatever here your MySQL tables collation is.
  'Convert'	=> 'utf8',
// -- 'Convert' option only works when 'Encoding' option is specified and iconv ([url="http://php.net/iconv"]http://php.net/iconv[/url]) is available.
// -- It specifies the encoding to convert your MySQL data to on the website (most likely needs to be utf8)
  'Hostname'   => '103.1.152.203',
  'Username'   => 's1',
  'Password'   => 'p1',
  'Database'   => 'dedi240cp',
-------------------------------------------------------

'LogsDbConfig'   => array(
  //'Port'	   => 3306,
  //'Encoding'   => null, // Connection encoding -- use whatever here your MySQL tables collation is.
  'Convert'	=> 'utf8',
// -- 'Convert' option only works when 'Encoding' option is specified and iconv ([url="http://php.net/iconv"]http://php.net/iconv[/url]) is available.
// -- It specifies the encoding to convert your MySQL data to on the website (most likely needs to be utf8)
  'Username'   => 's1',
  'Password'   => 'p1',
  'Database'   => 'dedi240log',

'LoginServer'	=> array(
  'Address'  => '103.1.152.203',
  'Port'	 => 7060,

'CharServer'	=> array(
 'Address'   => '103.1.152.203',
 'Port'	  => 7061
),
'MapServer'	 => array(
 'Port'	  => 7062

I know its probably wrong somewhere... but no idea where. I tried some variations too but it didn't work.

Edit 2 : I think I'm kinda going off topic

Edited by Xhiro

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  1479

EDIT : I'm unable to install FluxCP-RE. I keep getting redirected to this page.

5sPRa.png

These are my application.php and server.php

'ServerAddress'		=> 'myro.com:22',			  // This value is the hostname:port under which Flux runs. (e.g., example.com or example.com:80)
'BaseURI'			  => 'cp',					   // The base URI is the base web root on which your application lies.
'InstallerPassword'	=> 'pass',		 // Installer/updater password.

'DbConfig'	   => array(
  //'Port'	   => 3306,
  //'Encoding'   => 'utf8', // Connection encoding -- use whatever here your MySQL tables collation is.
  'Convert'	=> 'utf8',
  'Username'   => 's1',
  'Password'   => 'p1',
  'Database'   => 'dedi240cp',

'LogsDbConfig'   => array(
  //'Port'	   => 3306,
  //'Encoding'   => null, // Connection encoding -- use whatever here your MySQL tables collation is.
  'Convert'	=> 'utf8',
  'Username'   => 's1',
  'Password'   => 'p1',
  'Database'   => 'dedi240log',

'LoginServer'	=> array(
  'Address'  => '103.1.152.203',
  'Port'	 => 7060,

'CharServer'	=> array(
 'Port'	  => 7061
),
'MapServer'	 => array(
 'Port'	  => 7062

I know its probably wrong somewhere... but no idea where. I tried some variations too but it didn't work.

Edit 2 : I think I'm kinda going off topic

Hi, Xhiro!

I see that you are using Apache web server and CentOS.

before that,

you must change it into :80 . why? because :22 is the port that is reserved for SSH while 80 is the port reserved for basic HTTP.

It's been a while since the last time I played with both FluxCP and Apache on Linux-Based Operating systems. so, please forgive me for any of my mistakes in guiding you this.

As far as I know, the database of FluxCP will run properly if you put them to your RO's database. (Yes, it will be messy. Otherwise, it works on mine!).

Also, since you are using

'BaseURI'			  => 'cp',

so, everytime you open your CP, you must do it like this:

http://www.xhiro.net/cp/

(this is an example)

well, you can try to change all of them.

For any further question, don't hesitate to ask.

Have a nice day!

-Winz

Also, after changing the files inside /var/www/ , don't forget to always do

/etc/init.d/httpd restart

Edited by Winz

Still doesn't work

orz_small.jpg

When I visit http://www.myro.com/cp/install/ I get 404 error. If I forcefully type in http://www.myro.com/cp?module=install, I get the front page of the FluxCP that asks me to key in the password I typed in application.php. When I type the password and press authenticate, I get redirected to http://www.myro.com/cp/install/ which is the 404 error again.

... I don't get it anymore

EDIT : I changed the links because my friend does not want to let anyone know about our server name and details before we release it to public. Sorry about that

Edited by Xhiro

I have no experience in Flux CP, but let me know if you need more help getting the serverside and clientside portion working.

I'm glad you were able to get your compile and MySQL table issues fixed though! Yay! /no1

The most stable, up to date client is 2012 / 04 / 10a I think.

http://supportmii.co...ups/2012_Setup/

Err, am I supposed to download everything there? ( Noob question =x )

http://rathena.org/b...rathena-client/

And then download the up to date Lua Package here:

http://subversion.as.../svn/ClientSide

Isn't that kinda old? And the mediafire link in the post is dead.

I have no experience in Flux CP, but let me know if you need more help getting the serverside and clientside portion working.

I'm glad you were able to get your compile and MySQL table issues fixed though! Yay! /no1

Now I'm stuck in two ways /swt

Update : Currently downloading the 2012-04-10aRagexeRE.rar from http://xp-dev.com/sv.../RagexeRE/2012/. Don't exactly know what to do next /oops

Found this... Hope it works... http://supportmii.com/ro1/Clients/

Edited by Xhiro

The translations haven't changed much. Scroll through the topic, there are mirrors. If not let me know and I'll upload it. Judas also has a post on here somewhere he made this week but I can't find it at the moment.

You need the exe, translated data folder and luas, and then the actual client. The client data is the big download, 1.5 gor so. Most people here use miruku.

After you have the exe you need to diff it, use Shinsdiffpatcher, and make a clientinfo.xml that points to your VPS properly.

Edit: Here it is

http://rathena.org/board/topic/70962-recommended-client-setup/

Edited by Vach
  • Upvote 1

The translations haven't changed much. Scroll through the topic, there are mirrors. If not let me know and I'll upload it. Judas also has a post on here somewhere he made this week but I can't find it at the moment.

You need the exe, translated data folder and luas, and then the actual client. The client data is the big download, 1.5 gor so. Most people here use miruku.

After you have the exe you need to diff it, use Shinsdiffpatcher, and make a clientinfo.xml that points to your VPS properly.

Hi, I think you typed this post while I updated my previous post /omg What similar timing, anyway, I have already diffed my client.

Few questions though, is it neccesary for me to download the whole client data again? Or can I just use my previous client data? I have diffed my client but its Korean (I didn't know I had to get the translated data folder + luas... Could you link me to the place where I could download them?)

Edited by Xhiro

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  1479

Xhiro, have you solved your Flux CP problem?

try to disable the clean url of fluxcp thing

'UseCleanUrls'		 => false,

it will make you become:

http://www.myro.com/cp/index.php?module=install&action=install