One of my RO dungeon themes

Mirage

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  217

I have a dungeon theme I made for my server and I need some critical feedback on what you guys think...

Theme & Setting:

The dungeon is an event dungeon called Witch's Lair where players will pretty much go through series of floors of mobs

until they reach the top where the witch is and well...Killz her for the win.

Think of it like a custom Endless Tower.

Anyway I have two versions. Tell me what you think ~

Rate 1 ~ 10

Please do not take credit for my work. Thanks!

Version 1.

http://soundcloud.com/user629055/orchestra-witchs-lair

Version 2.

http://soundcloud.com/user629055/m4g-05

PS: I am will make short custom music/sound effects for your ro server if you are interested. Free of charge..for the moment :3

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  207

Hm! Definitely not bad, but not great either. To me, both versions are a little too simplistic. If I had to pick, I'd choose the first version as it sounds far more witch-like, since you said it's a witch's lair type of dungeon (which is cool by the way!).

Every time it intensifies though, it just sounds like there are too many instruments at once (they all seem to be at the same volume). I'm certainly not a music expert, so I couldn't tell you what to would be best to remove, or even add so unless someone else is an expert and can tell you what would be best, you'd just have to experiment. Personally though, I think the first version could do without that first part and skip right to 0:04. The melody of the harpsichord could definitely use more notes, too. That aside though, I do love the choice of instruments and the mood of it.

Edited by Gaypuff

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  97

I personally like the second one as opposed to the first. It has a really great build-up in the beginning, so simple yet tasty.

Only thing I don't like is it takes 58 seconds to complete the intro part, then it just cuts off once it becomes interesting.

So I would place everything after 0:19 in the first track into the end of the second to make the second complete, and it would loop better.

But this is just my opinion. ;)

Edited by Angst

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  383

Really nice, it sounds like a real BGM. I didn't especially reminds me a witch theme but it definitely sounds like a medieval-fantasy ambiance. If you're interested, it would be nice to have some specific BGM for Arsinoé and Schallmar : http://rathena.org/board/topic/53277-maps-scripts-schallmar-islands/ / http://rathena.org/board/topic/53282-maps-scripts-arsinoe-aeries-tears/

Actual BGM packs (just recycling ...) : Arsinoe-BGM-v1.4.rar / Schallmar-BGM-v.1.00.rar

• Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  846

Version 2

+1

o: Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it and it'll help me build good BGMs for RO and such.

@Aerie: Do you want BGMs genre related to the given packs or the same song just redone?

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  383

I was looking for some BGM medieval-fantastic style. The idea is to make a BGM for a specific area of Arsinoé/Schallmar after the style depends of your feeling on the map. If you're interested for a try we can discuss in PM and see what can be done ;D

• Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  399

v1: Add some sort of low synth or string (or even a base line with piano/synth) at the beginning. After the intro, pull back the volume on the harpsichord (or whatever the extremely bright instrument coming through is), and pull back a little bit on the percussion. All in all, nifty, but sounds a tad empty.

v2: Not sure I'm feeling the slow strings at the beginning. I like the eb and flow feel of it, but it could be accomplished with more legato. The stocatto strings are a nice touch after the intro. I'm NOT feeling the really breathy/synth prior to the harpsichord. It adds depth once the harpsichord comes in, but before that, it just sounds extremely dry. Add a bit of warmth to the sound, perhaps?

Between the two, I enjoy the second better as it has a more complete, full sound to it overall. Excellent work!

@Aerie Check for PM

@jTynne Yeah in the v2 the whole breathy synth is a replacement until I bought a better voice choir library and Im adding it in for v3 hopefully it'll sound a lot better and full with all of the feedback I've been getting. And thanks!