Jump to content
  • 0
Althezier

[Browedit] Shadows on the wall floor

Question

Hi!

I'm running into something that I can't seem to work around this time, to explain it, check the picture below:

 

Spoiler

2136163688_Semttulo.thumb.png.0cb48b633811fcb28278a868ace660cf.png

I wanted to cast shadows at these objects, but I wanted them to stop at the edge, not going further where the yellow arrows points. I wanted the shadows to stop by the red line.

Any ideas? Thanks! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I thought there was a way to manually edit shadows in paint but i dont really wanna watch 10 tutorial videos to find that 

this guy mentions editting shadows in paint but i may be wrong 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 hours ago, lllaaazzz said:

I thought there was a way to manually edit shadows in paint but i dont really wanna watch 10 tutorial videos to find that 

this guy mentions editting shadows in paint but i may be wrong 

 

Yea, I thought so. I was hoping there was another way though, but thanks anyway. Exporting, editing and importing does work.

 

EDIT: I was wrong. When I export a lightmap and import it, even after editing, it has a glitch with the walls shadows, they are bugged. Tried in both 586 and 620 versions of BrowEdit. I really don't know what to do anymore.

Edited by Althezier
Further testing proved me wrong, there are glitches in walls shadows when exporting and importing.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Only export shadows. Dont touch color. Edit with an image program like paint and import back only shadows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
16 minutes ago, Syouji said:

Only export shadows. Dont touch color. Edit with an image program like paint and import back only shadows.

Hey, thanks for replying! So, I wanted to remove only the part where I showed in the first post. Is it possible to remove those and keep the others walls shadows? Like these: 

Spoiler

Untitled.thumb.png.8a8f72e7051d9847865ef2e87308006a.png

 

By exporting and importing I noticed there is a glitch, even without even touching the file in an editor. I export the lightmap, which is like the above, but when I import it's like this:

 

Spoiler

1.thumb.png.154af523d33b41bb4b60cf8c7f8783db.png

Another example, after importing and before importing:

Spoiler

2.png.0afe96c75e046da6a47610dab1a6dfa5.png3.png.ba144b19f9958be7cd0746218d6ea5bd.png

This happens in both 586 and 620 versions of BrowEdit, any idea of how to fix it? Or maybe there is no fix and I can't have shadows on the walls =(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

If you don't want the object to cast shadows, go to object edit mode, select the object, then in it's properties there's a check box to stop it from calculating lightmaps on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
20 minutes ago, Syouji said:

If you don't want the object to cast shadows, go to object edit mode, select the object, then in it's properties there's a check box to stop it from calculating lightmaps on it.

I know that, but it's not it. The shadows behind the shelf and next to the mirror, I want them to be there. The problem is that exporting and importing the lightmap, those shadows get messed up (like the pics I posted above).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 1/30/2019 at 2:41 PM, Althezier said:

I know that, but it's not it. The shadows behind the shelf and next to the mirror, I want them to be there. The problem is that exporting and importing the lightmap, those shadows get messed up (like the pics I posted above).

Hi! Have you tried using Browedit 2? It has a tool to draw shadows. If that doesn't work, then I have an indea:

1. This is very important, because Browedit 2 will bug Browedit 1 lightbulbs positions: Save a copy of the map (with "save as...") in another folder. In this new map, delete all the lightmaps completely.
2. Open with Browedit 2. They won't have a shadow, BUT you can use those objects as guides to draw shadows manually in Browedit 2 like this:
  - First, in Brow 2, you have to click on Actions - Lightmaps - "Unique Maps". Clicking once on it will activate it, even if it doesn't have a mark next to it.
  - Second: In Editmode, Click on Lightmap Edit. You can increase or decrease the darkness with the keys next to 0. Change the shadow shape with the left and arrow keys. Or delete a shadow with the right click. You can draw them manually, following the angles of the other shadows so they look natural.
image.png.01d3fdea73a49d97ddae8bc5fafed6d8.png
(Uhm I think the normal shadow darkness is 128, but try the one that fits better)

3. Save, and close.
Important: When you save in Browedit 2, do so with the right click. If you use the left click, the menues have a bug right now, so you'll accidentally draw shadows on the map as you save ^^; although you may still need to click on an empty area of the map as to not delete any shadow
4. Open it again with Browedit 1, and export the lightmap. Then, place the bmp files in the folder with your original map, or change their name accordingly.
5. Now, open your original map. Generate lightmap without those objects. Then add the objects, and import the lightmap. Now you'll have both the lightmap for small lights correctly generated in browedit 1, and those extra shadows that you made in Browedit 2.



Setting up Browedit 2 can be more confusing than Brow 1, but we can help yu in the Browedit Discord: https://discord.gg/D6hXjQ
I think that's it. GOOD LUCK! 😊

Edited by Mina-chan
I changed the explanation completely because I forgot Brow 2 bugs the Lightbulbs positions x.x
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 1/30/2019 at 2:20 PM, Syouji said:

If you don't want the object to cast shadows, go to object edit mode, select the object, then in it's properties there's a check box to stop it from calculating lightmaps on it.

Im trying to make dark maps

alberta.png

If i give myself the REAL blind effect, it looks perfect

but the SG perma blind make it still highlight models

However on maps like

lhz_que01

They have a perfect darkness. . . .

darkness.png

 

Please enlighten me daddy

Ii thought id go test a few more things but ive been doing other things >_>

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
9 hours ago, lllaaazzz said:

Im trying to make dark maps

alberta.png

If i give myself the REAL blind effect, it looks perfect

but the SG perma blind make it still highlight models

Oooh that looks very interesting, like a map with the lights turned off, but where you can still walk around x3 hmhm, I think you can change the light on the objects by changing the angle of the main light a lot. In Brow 1 it's in Window - Global Lightning, and in Brow 2 it's in Window - Map Settings.

Edited by Mina-chan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
22 hours ago, Mina-chan said:

Hi! Have you tried using Browedit 2? It has a tool to draw shadows. If that doesn't work, then I have an indea:

1. This is very important, because Browedit 2 will bug Browedit 1 lightbulbs positions: Save a copy of the map (with "save as...") in another folder. In this new map, delete all the lightmaps completely.
2. Open with Browedit 2. They won't have a shadow, BUT you can use those objects as guides to draw shadows manually in Browedit 2 like this:
  - First, in Brow 2, you have to click on Actions - Lightmaps - "Unique Maps". Clicking once on it will activate it, even if it doesn't have a mark next to it.
  - Second: In Editmode, Click on Lightmap Edit. You can increase or decrease the darkness with the keys next to 0. Change the shadow shape with the left and arrow keys. Or delete a shadow with the right click. You can draw them manually, following the angles of the other shadows so they look natural.
image.png.01d3fdea73a49d97ddae8bc5fafed6d8.png
(Uhm I think the normal shadow darkness is 128, but try the one that fits better)

3. Save, and close.
Important: When you save in Browedit 2, do so with the right click. If you use the left click, the menues have a bug right now, so you'll accidentally draw shadows on the map as you save ^^; although you may still need to click on an empty area of the map as to not delete any shadow
4. Open it again with Browedit 1, and export the lightmap. Then, place the bmp files in the folder with your original map, or change their name accordingly.
5. Now, open your original map. Generate lightmap without those objects. Then add the objects, and import the lightmap. Now you'll have both the lightmap for small lights correctly generated in browedit 1, and those extra shadows that you made in Browedit 2.



Setting up Browedit 2 can be more confusing than Brow 1, but we can help yu in the Browedit Discord: https://discord.gg/D6hXjQ
I think that's it. GOOD LUCK! 😊

Hi!

Thanks for taking some time here and explaining the whole idea, I'll definitely take a loot at it later!! I'll come with a reply after I try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, Mina-chan said:

Oooh that looks very interesting, like a map with the lights turned off, but where you can still walk around x3 hmhm, I think you can change the light on the objects by changing the angle of the main light a lot. In Brow 1 it's in Window - Global Lightning, and in Brow 2 it's in Window - Map Settings.

Haha I have some merchants stuck behind vines that you destroy with your skills/basics too but thats beside the point /meh

Yeah ill just have to keep playing with it /ok

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 2/7/2019 at 6:47 PM, Mina-chan said:

Oooh that looks very interesting, like a map with the lights turned off, but where you can still walk around x3 hmhm, I think you can change the light on the objects by changing the angle of the main light a lot. In Brow 1 it's in Window - Global Lightning, and in Brow 2 it's in Window - Map Settings.

now i cant seem to project light on to the walls

feature.png

why.png

Any ideas? 

 

Edit; No problem, turns out you just need to add a black tile to the top of a wall cause otherwise its just a thing layer of texture i guess thats how the lightmap sees it. . . 

too bad these black squares take in the light too rip 

Edited by lllaaazzz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.