Microsoft Visual Studio Refactor

Aleos

• Group:  Development Manager
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  732

Microsoft Visual Studio Refactor

As of Git Hash: cacd98d, rAthena has removed support for MSVS 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, and 2015 solution and projects and introduced an improved MSVS 2013 solution.

Details:

• MSVS 2008, 2010, and 2012 have been removed because their support from Microsoft has ended. We are sorry for the inconvenience and we understand these tools are fairly large for people to have to acquire again but this refactor has laid a foundation for the future development of rAthena!
    • For people who download MSVS 2017, think of this as a long term investment as this version will be supported for quite a few more years from Microsoft and the solution is easily adaptable to any newer version to come!
  • MSVS 2013 was chosen as the default because it is the first release from Microsoft as a free community tool as well as support for C++ 11 (for future work on the C++ branch).
    • Support for MSVS 2015 and 2017 still exists. Simply open the rAthena Solution and select Ok when it prompts about upgrading the solution files.
  • Each component (char, login, map, etc.) now has their own project file.
  • Removed redundancy by creating a core (common) project file.
  • Added true x64 build support for Windows operating systems.
  • Process of migrating your customized codebase should be effortless. If there are additional custom source files added, you can add them to the new solution easily.

Migrating from earlier versions of Visual Studio:

If you were using old versions of Visual Studio, we recommend you to use Visual Studio 2017 which requires only about 6 GB of disk space with only necessary components for building rAthena installed while older versions, i.e, Visual Studio 2012 requires about 10GB. VS2017 also loads faster than its ancestors 2013, 2015.

Thanks to @Sirius_Black, @Secrets, and @Lemongrass for their work on this!

Edited by Secrets
Migration
  • Upvote 11

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  386

Aww, never forget 2010 MSVS /sob

Thank you guys <3

• Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  623

Congratulations great work!

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1096

Dear guys who have their own gcc/clang solutions to compile rathena code on windows platform, please share it with community and make a topic here about it, don't be badass. I will for sure solve it and make a release but after a long time because of my overhead & business now. Maybe you can help and do it earlier them me? The short info why I'm asking it stored here: https://github.com/rathena/rathena/pull/2089 

tl;tr goal what possible to achieve with portable gcc\clang  is 50-150mb folder with all components required for rathena compilation. It saves time, internet BW, space on SSD for people who need just make from sources - executable application need 99% of functions from Visual Studio. Or maybe is here another solution exist to solve the problem above?

EDIT: done, but not gcc, but very usable

Edited by Anacondaqq
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24

On 5/3/2017 at 8:12 AM, Anacondaqq said:

Dear guys who have their own gcc/clang solutions to compile rathena code on windows platform, please share it with community and make a topic here about it, don't be badass. I will for sure solve it and make a release but after a long time because of my overhead & business now. Maybe you can help and do it earlier them me? The short info why I'm asking it stored here: https://github.com/rathena/rathena/pull/2089 

tl;tr goal what possible to achieve with portable gcc\clang  is 50-150mb folder with all components required for rathena compilation. It saves time, internet BW, space on SSD for people who need just make from sources - executable application need 99% of functions from Visual Studio. Or maybe is here another solution exist to solve the problem above?

EDIT: done, but not gcc, but very usable

I did managed to use Virtual Box + Vagrant (Using Laravel Homestead) solution on Windows platform in order compile these emulators since I cannot afford to download 20+gb Visual Studio IDE although I knew your guide are able to use >2gb solution and I just want to minimize jumbling with Windows registry. Later I post the guide on how to setup this method since I want to try to relearn the network configuration after such long hiatus from RO emulator world. :P