Odd sprite error?

GreenMagic793

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  157

Hey guys,

So here's the deal. I've been trying my hand at adding a custom monster sprite to the game. However, I'm encountering some issues.

First, I went into my mob_db and created a mob called purple_plant and gave it the mobid of 3005.

I created the .spr and .act files for my monster and placed them in the correct folders. However, when I try to spawn the monster, I get errors that say things like  "can't find file \gibberish\npc\1_etc_01.act".

So I then realized, oh, I need to add the monster data to the .lua files. I went into my lua folder, went into datainfo, downloaded jobname.lua and npcidentity.lua. I then added my own mob in the same format as the rest of the mobs.

The problem is... When I try to spawn this mob, I'm still getting the 1_etc_01.act/spr error. What could be causing this? I have my sprites in the right folders, my mob is in the mob_db... I don't get it. Any help is appreciated.

7 answers to this question

• Group:  Forum Moderator
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  10013

make sure you have the 1_etc_01.act/spr files.

judge from the name, it's a npc.

1_ETC_01.gif

I'm not sure I'm understanding. What difference would having the files for that NPC make (which I do already btw)? If anything shouldn't it say "can't find file gibberish\npc\purple_plant.spr" since that's what I named my sprite?

I read through both rathena articles on custom mobs and spriting but I'm confused as to how exactly I link up a sprite I've created with a mobid and its corresponding script. By putting the purple_plant.spr/act files in all the right places, shouldn't that be enough for the game to recognize the sprite?

Thanks for the help.

• Group:  Forum Moderator
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  10013

1_etc_01.act/spr files is missing, not your purple_plant.spr/act

So if I understand correctly, if I'm missing the 1_etc_01 files, I'm required to have those even to spawn purple_plant? Why is that exactly? Isn't 1_etc_01 a separate sprite that would have nothing to do with mine?

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1443

So if I understand correctly, if I'm missing the 1_etc_01 files, I'm required to have those even to spawn purple_plant? Why is that exactly? Isn't 1_etc_01 a separate sprite that would have nothing to do with mine?

Looks like you didn't install your sprite correctly, did you change max sprite count in source and add the sprite to the const.

I didn't know editing anything source related was necessary. Perhaps I skimmed over it but custom mobs article didn't seem to make any note of it that I recall. I thought it was as simple as inserting sprites/acts and editing the .lua files.

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1443

I didn't know editing anything source related was necessary. Perhaps I skimmed over it but custom mobs article didn't seem to make any note of it that I recall. I thought it was as simple as inserting sprites/acts and editing the .lua files.

If its an NPC sprite then yes have to make sure the max NPC Id is correct and the NPC is added to the const, if its a mob then you might have a typo in your lua files