How many cooks does it take to..

Akkarin

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3123

Sometimes i wonder if there's too many RO servers out there. It kinda dilutes the "market" and causes nearly all of them to have the same features as everyone else, then bitchez be posting on these boards "ei, how 2 maek mi servr da bestest?!".

Like seriously. Is it just me? Does anyone wonder what kind of private RO servers would be around if 40% of the current server "owners" joined forces, pooled their resources and produced epic game content?

Sometimes i also wonder if we've made things far too accessible. But i guess spoon-feeding is the way forward, right?

/sigh

• Group:  Forum Moderator
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  10013

Join force ?? minority of the server admin might agree with it (some of them even tried). The rest, probably wont since most of them are probably aimed for $$ when they open the server. /sigh

Users who are Spood-feeding growth rapidly from day to day ...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  545

Join force ?? minority of the server admin might agree with it (some of them even tried). The rest, probably wont since most of them are probably aimed for $$ when they open the server. /sigh

Users who are Spood-feeding growth rapidly from day to day ...

I think a lot of us seek some recognition or the experience of running our own, and that would obviously be lost if merged, even if they were then able to grow their player base.

At the same time, it seems that a lot of players aren't necessarily looking for a server made from love. There are plenty of dime a dozen servers running the same simple scripts (maybe a necessary evil when offering free content through rAthena and the like) and pulling a 20-50 player audience that is loyal to them. I think a lot of the smaller servers might pull their friend (and the circles those friends belong to).

As for money grubbing server owners, I'd like to think it is up to the player to be a smart consumer and maybe do a background check on the server owner. First GM'ing experience for me was with an Admin that set-up their server, put in a little money and work, pushed out an update and then reaped the benefits of donations until the host expired. It seems that he ran and dropped three servers in only a year, and I have to imagine that the practice isn't unheard of.

If a server is a labor of love, it should be apparent within the first hour of gameplay. Gaming is an interactive medium, so hook the players with something fresh and roll it out progressively to spike the interest curve when things get too vanilla.

Curious to hear the thoughts of others,

~Azura Skyy

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  806

Probably I'm bothered more by the emulator situation. Every time someone fixes a bug, it needs to be fixed on watch 4-5 emulators? There are some really talented devs in all the projects and if they'd work together instead of being busy merging each others fixes, the emulator could 4-5 times more stable by now. =<

For servers I can at least understand that there are so many, because there are so many different preferences.

Alone if I imagine myself making my own server... sure I know some server owners really well and I could probably get some to work together with me, but the moment someone asks for customization like... a warper... or a healer... or dumbing down monster AI so it's easier to mob... I'd be strictly against it.

Eventually I'll just end up thinking "screw it, I want my server exactly like old euRO and if nobody else wants it, I rather play alone locally".

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  974

As i see things around, other server owners is thinking something like "I want to make a server because the current server i'm playing in sucks!"

and other owners thinks "I want to make a server because i have my own idea."

"because being a GM is awesome!"

"because i can make money while playing."

"because i can have instant items and play using legit account."

"for fun."

Everyone has their own personal motives, and i rarely see a server that concentrating on the player's pleasure or desire or somewhat you can call "ENJOYMENT".

Seriously.

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  545

As i see things around, other server owners is thinking something like "I want to make a server because the current server i'm playing in sucks!"

and other owners thinks "I want to make a server because i have my own idea."

"because being a GM is awesome!"

"because i can make money while playing."

"because i can have instant items and play using legit account."

"for fun."

Everyone has their own personal motives, and i rarely see a server that concentrating on the player's pleasure or desire or somewhat you can call "ENJOYMENT".

Seriously.

I don't think we're all so different though. Surely if I leave a server because it lacked 'X' there has to be someone in that server or elsewhere that was looking for 'X' and if I selfishly build a server for myself with whatever 'X' is, I might bring that enjoyment to others.

Building a fan service server or one that is developed in style of 'should x be added to the game' and put to the player vote would suffer. The developer will lose interest or the players will want things that will disrupt balance.

Food for thought,

~Azura Skyy

• Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  974

Well, that's what i see them tho :D i can see it in their servers :D 

• Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1546

I think old Private Server's are the best one. (for my own opinion)

• TalonRO
  • RebirthRO
  • DreamerRO
  • ForsakenRO

Are one of the best(for me). 

Probably I'm bothered more by the emulator situation. Every time someone fixes a bug, it needs to be fixed on watch 4-5 emulators? There are some really talented devs in all the projects and if they'd work together instead of being busy merging each others fixes, the emulator could 4-5 times more stable by now. =<

For servers I can at least understand that there are so many, because there are so many different preferences.

Alone if I imagine myself making my own server... sure I know some server owners really well and I could probably get some to work together with me, but the moment someone asks for customization like... a warper... or a healer... or dumbing down monster AI so it's easier to mob... I'd be strictly against it.

Eventually I'll just end up thinking "screw it, I want my server exactly like old euRO and if nobody else wants it, I rather play alone locally".

I agree with you. I know I don't have the knowledge to help you guys for making the emulator stable. but im here * Hoping it will be stable soon * I've been using rAthena for a long time I think * 3 years or more? i guess *

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  109

DreamerRO has been created just to earn $. it is pretty umbalanced and uses free-maps/systems. The cool thing they have is the hero quest, which is pretty easy to create D:

Edited by Unknown