Securing Grf and DATA.ini

Radian

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1546

Hello guys, i don't have any idea how can i do this but i'll just ask how.

I am planning to secure my main GRF by using patch of Thor Patcher. does anyone know how to do this?

and also, a question for this http://rathena.org/wiki/DATA.INI i tested on 20120410RE client it seems that i can't see the DATA.ini on it. i even follow the guide here.

can some help me with this? thanks!

11 answers to this question

@bump

• Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667

I am planning to secure my main GRF by using patch of Thor Patcher. does anyone know how to do this?

and also, a question for this http://rathena.org/wiki/DATA.INI i tested on 20120410RE client it seems that i can't see the DATA.ini on it. i even follow the guide here.

Your question is confusing me, I'm not sure what you're trying to do.

Thor patcher doesn't offer a built-in encryption system, but it is possible to make encrypted patches for a protected GRF (or unprotected GRF, doesn't matter). There are multiple ways to achieve that :

Rgz method

Make a RGZ file with your encrypted GRF inside. This is quite easy to do, but it's not an optimal solution if you're planning to do multiple patches on your GRF.

Grf in patch list method

This is not very well known, but if you put a GRF file name in your patch list, Thor Patcher will merge the file with your default GRF. Example :

44 patch2014-09-07.thor
45 patch2014-09-08_encrypted.grf

So you just need to make a new GRF, put your files to patch in it and encypt it using SecureGRF (I guess that's what you're using).

GRF Editor method

The method allows you to change the target GRF and save the patch as a Thor file. You will need the most recent version of GRF Editor for that.

Encrypt your GRF with SecureGRF.

Open the encrypted GRF with GRF Editor.

Go in File > Save as... > Change the extension for .thor and save it.

Click on the "Container options" tab from the right panel, and there you have all the same settings Thor Maker offers.

As for data.ini, I'm... confused. What is your goal? This file is normally used to allow multiple GRFs to be read by your client, assuming you've diffed your client for that. Simply edit an existing one or create it from scratch yourself from a text file (rename it to .ini afterwards). Copy and paste the content in the file from the wiki page you've linked.

Your question is confusing me, I'm not sure what you're trying to do.

Thor patcher doesn't offer a built-in encryption system, but it is possible to make encrypted patches for a protected GRF (or unprotected GRF, doesn't matter). There are multiple ways to achieve that :

Rgz method

Make a RGZ file with your encrypted GRF inside. This is quite easy to do, but it's not an optimal solution if you're planning to do multiple patches on your GRF.

Grf in patch list method

This is not very well known, but if you put a GRF file name in your patch list, Thor Patcher will merge the file with your default GRF. Example :

44 patch2014-09-07.thor
45 patch2014-09-08_encrypted.grf

So you just need to make a new GRF, put your files to patch in it and encypt it using SecureGRF (I guess that's what you're using).

GRF Editor method

The method allows you to change the target GRF and save the patch as a Thor file. You will need the most recent version of GRF Editor for that.

Encrypt your GRF with SecureGRF.

Open the encrypted GRF with GRF Editor.

Go in File > Save as... > Change the extension for .thor and save it.

Click on the "Container options" tab from the right panel, and there you have all the same settings Thor Maker offers.

As for data.ini, I'm... confused. What is your goal? This file is normally used to allow multiple GRFs to be read by your client, assuming you've diffed your client for that. Simply edit an existing one or create it from scratch yourself from a text file (rename it to .ini afterwards). Copy and paste the content in the file from the wiki page you've linked.

I am planning to secured my unsecured GRF using thor patcher or patch. 

also about the data.ini i want to rename it (yes i can easily rename it but it wont read my GRF since the default was DATA.ini) thats why i search how to hex or change the DATA.ini in my client and the problem is i cant find any DATA.ini on my client base on wiki guide. 

• Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  295

I think ginji wants to make data.ini not editable due to unwanted sprite modifications by player.

He probably wants to lock the order of grfs that are being red to the order he wants, otherwise it will fail so that players cannot cheat within grf edits like changing the boss sprites of reducing frames for delays.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  1479

there's an exe, securegrf it will secure your GRF. but, it will broke your GRF as well, readable by client, not others. so, becareful when using this.

to secure data.ini:

(pretty) long time ago (with 2010-07-07 or 2010-07-30), I opened my client with hex editor. then, i found "DATA.INI" (a string). then, I changed it to (wasd.ini) and it's correct, my client doesn't read data.ini, but it reads wasd.ini.

maybe you can change it to (wwsd.nfo) or something.

(pretty) long time ago (with 2010-07-07 or 2010-07-30), I opened my client with hex editor. then, i found "DATA.INI" (a string). then, I changed it to (wasd.ini) and it's correct, my client doesn't read data.ini, but it reads wasd.ini.

I can't see any DATA.ini in 20120410RE client. any idea?

• Content Count:  806

thats because you didnt patch it in. You need to patch Enable Multiple GRFs on your client (i believe its the same title for all the patchers)

thats because you didnt patch it in. You need to patch Enable Multiple GRFs on your client (i believe its the same title for all the patchers)

Oh. i will try what you said.

Still the same. i cant find it using "OLLYDBG"

Edited by Ginji

• Content Count:  806

DATA.INI wont be there in .text section. did you check the .diff or .xdiff section you should find a reference there. The string itself should be there in .rdata section.

To access the sections click the Blue M button which shows u the Memory Map window. scroll down till you see your exe name and the section name u need.

Select the row and press enter.

• Content Count:  1479

oh you're right, it's no longer inside the hex.

DATA.INI wont be there in .text section. did you check the .diff or .xdiff section you should find a reference there. The string itself should be there in .rdata section.

To access the sections click the Blue M button which shows u the Memory Map window. scroll down till you see your exe name and the section name u need.

Select the row and press enter.

I tested it on a client that no diffed. i cant seem to see the Data.INI :(