What do I really need in a host server?

Peopleperson49

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  218
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1180

I'm going to rent a host server soon and I was wondering if there is anything that I should watch out for or look for? Any suggestions one which ones are good and which ones are not? I have been researching different ones that have posted between eAthena, rAthena, and ratemyserver.net. However, there seem to be a lot to choose from and the prices vary greatly. Some are 25 dollars a month but if you pay a year upfront it drops down to 18. Others are always 45. Do they give contracts to guarantee service? I used a server at a friends company for my previous server, so much easier (and free)!!! Thanks.

Peopleperson49

• Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  221

I use RagnarokHosting.com. Lowest price is from $18, Highest from about $80 I think. Website cPanel has a cost of $2. Free Integration of Flux or Ceres. Free integration of forums. Support is good, via MSN, but sometimes a bit stressing. Very nice hosting there. They send all the data to your email.

You pay $30 for Page Integration (With coding, without design). I paid for it and it seems pretty good. VPS.

Link: www.ragnarokhosting.com

MSN Support: [email protected]

I checked out that website, but I can't read anything there!!! Know any good ones in English?

Peoplepeson49

• Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  566

Go to http://translate.google.com

then paste the link of ragnarokhosting.com and it will be translated to english.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  707

Hi peopleperson49,

Are you somewhat Linux savvy and know your way around to setting up your own RO server with the help of the hosting company? What do you want the host to have available for you when you purchase hosting from them?

I don't know much about Linux, however, I can learn what I need to learn... My last server was windows based. Basically, I want a secure server that doesn't have so many people that my server isn't going to lag with 10 people on and one I can count on being around for a long time. Something tried and tested by others! If the host sight can set up the server in linux that would be a major help, since linux is so much better than windows anyway!!! Once I get it so I can add, delete, and restart the server I don't need much support from the host. I'm hoping for a host reliable enough to pay for a full year in advance. I don't want to run a server that worries about getting the next months host rental fees. I don't believe in asking for donations and I want to be able to gaurantee stability to players! I don't have a program to recompile the server in linux though, or if I do then I don't know it yet, lol. Thanks for replying.

Peopleperson49

Edited by peopleperson49

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  707

Hi Peopleperson49,

Then I would suggest that you should always pay monthly. You never knows what happens to a host, and you may end up being dissatisfied with the service you are getting later on. I have seen a plague affecting many owners, they have been signing up their domain names with the provider; and it forces them to stay with the provider, so you need to watch out for that.

Always purchase your domain from a domain provider by yourself; then you get full control and ownership of your domain name.

About the host, I would suggest you take a look at providers whom provide a pre-installed system for the Linux OS. I know a couple of companies such as System in Place, FranTech, Bluesky Hosting, NickyZai Hosting, EliteVPSHost, and even I offer hosting.

If you want a very seasoned and experienced host, I would recommend FranTech. But they are usually out of stock... anyways, you should do some research out of the companies I listed; they all offer Linux-based hosting for RO.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  112

I'm starting to find that people don't really know what they're talking about when it comes to the subject of security and their choice of OS.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  11

I've tried Frantech and a few other "cheap" hosting companies and I suggest you stay away from them. They're constantly getting attacked & have random "migration" processes which results in your server being down for a while. There's even a host that lost my files once; good thing I had a backup.

If you really want a successful server, I suggest you pay for a good host. The last one I ended up using was a bit pricier than the others, but they were incredibly reliable. It's really worth the extra bucks to avoid the headaches you get when your server is constantly down. If you want their website, send me a PM. I'm not gonna post it here because I don't know if it's "legal" to advertise.

Edited by Zeidan

• Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  499

Posted · Hidden by Arcenciel, March 14, 2012 - Not in English.
Hidden by Arcenciel, March 14, 2012 - Not in English.

pede po pa turo pano gumawa ng RO plsss po nag mamakaawa ako sa inyo kahit hanggang dun lang sa maestablish ko ung test RO nde ko po kasi alam san pede mag DL data folder ano purpose ng lua at lubs at bakit kailangan mag kaka tugma ung mga date nila din bakit madaming pallete error kahit latest na ung di ni DL ko T_T add me po valykrie_boyzz1992 [YM]