Browedit: Water shows through terrain in editor?

Sage

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  111

So, I recently started mapping again, and Browedit has this strange new graphical problem I haven't seen before. When I zoom out past a certain point in the editor, lines of the water layer appear over the ground, like this.

0e1efa62ecac6e11ec45b6bd5a4e3bd5.png

But everything appears fine when I'm zoomed in fairly close, like so:

de6962f79eef04dd96d757e9decb12a2.png

I'm using Browedit 586. It's been on my computer for a year or two now, and I haven't changed any of its files or had any major updates to my PC over the past couple months, during which I took a break from mapping to tackle college. What's up with this? It never did this before. Anyone know how to fix this issue? It's only a visual thing, but it's pretty annoying.

6 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  133

This happens because of the limited precision of the graphics card. All 3D applications will have similar issues, though it's not always so apparent and depends on how attentive the programmer has been to the issue. If you have a 3D graphics control panel you can try to set the profile to quality mode, this might make some difference.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  387

Ive always had this issue if the water is too close to the 'land' it will show through the land.  

Esp if you zoom out.  I mean I know you are an experienced mapper and had never seen this issue before.

But it is normal for me, I just make it to where I cannot view the water, or I will lower the water for a time to take screenshots.

Maybe someone has a fix and can enlighten us.

But I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one who suffers from this lol.

• Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1335

Maybe if you try a more recent revision like 620? Or perhaps, it would be better to just decrease the height of water a bit. Afterall, if you use max-out view in the client, you'll face the same issue inside the game.

• Upvote 1

Maybe if you try a more recent revision like 620? Or perhaps, it would be better to just decrease the height of water a bit. Afterall, if you use max-out view in the client, you'll face the same issue inside the game.

I don't think decreasing the water will make a significant difference. It's already pretty shallow as it is:

126af5c180cf8368761e730e5ab0d2d3.png

586 never used to do this- I haven't changed anything, but the problem seems to persist even on old maps I've made and Gravity's maps. I've been using 586 now for a few years, since 620 ran like shit on my machine the first time I tried it out. If nothing better comes up, I guess I'll try 620 out.

• Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1335

I don't think decreasing the water will make a significant difference. It's already pretty shallow as it is:

586 never used to do this- I haven't changed anything, but the problem seems to persist even on old maps I've made and Gravity's maps. I've been using 586 now for a few years, since 620 ran like shit on my machine the first time I tried it out. If nothing better comes up, I guess I'll try 620 out.

All I can think about is that maybe an update at your Graphic Card changed the water rendering at your browedit. Did you update or wiped your PC? or maybe you changed the operative system of it?

I remember, that in windows XP, browedit as also the KRO client, renders diferent due to the use of a different direct X version.

Edit: I just noticed that you said you didn't make any changes to your PC. I've no idea then s:

This happens because of the limited precision of the graphics card. All 3D applications will have similar issues, though it's not always so apparent and depends on how attentive the programmer has been to the issue. If you have a 3D graphics control panel you can try to set the profile to quality mode, this might make some difference.

I did a bit of tinkering around with my graphics card's control panel, and found the 3D settings. With a bit of adjustment, I managed to fix it! Seems changing all the settings to higher quality ones fixed the issue. I can only assume that Windows automatic updates, or a generic update to my video drivers at some point during my break from mapping must've messed with it.

The problem's fixed now- Thanks a whole bunch!

• Upvote 1