difference betwenn LINUX/ WINDOWS HOSTING

Anna

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44

I am about to host my server... but my hoster lets me choose between windows and linux vpn?

HOW DO THEY DIFFER?

15 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  29

For me linux is the best if you want to use it as a server

I find it easier to host in linux than in windows too xD

I can't find any other reason, i just thought linux server is much better.

Also from wiki..

"more than 90% of today's top 500 supercomputers run some variant of Linux,including the 10 fastest."

Just choose linux xD

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  123

the price xD

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  148

i agree to prontera maze and also mleo1

since server is base on linux, anyway use windows if you dont have a knowledge in linux yet :)

• Content Count:  44

hahaha thnk you guys.. imma choose linux then.. :) i dont have any knowledge about linux..i must learn it .. HAHA so if i to edit my configs it will be on linux UI?

is it hard?

btw thnks for the tips :)

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  268

hahaha thnk you guys.. imma choose linux then.. :) i dont have any knowledge about linux..i must learn it .. HAHA so if i to edit my configs it will be on linux UI?

is it hard?

btw thnks for the tips :)

It depends on where you will host your server.

there are some hosting providers that can support you installing/configuring your rAthena server like Asurahosting.

But expect higher price because of the support.

But if you are willing to learn and understand Linux there are hosting providers that provide unmanaged VPS (Which means after you order they will just provide you the basic details needed for you to connect to your VPS.

It is up to you on how will you connect(SSH, Remote Desktop), and what are the programs you want to install, how will you reinforce your VPS as long you abide by their TOS. IT ISTHE MOST CHEAPER PRICE THAN ANY OTHER HOSTING)

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  707

Hi Anna,

Everyone on this thread has nailed the fine points of using Linux over Windows; and when to actually use Windows. If you have absolutely no experience with Linux, you would either start with a company which provides a easy set up of Linux for a newbie to easily use, or just use Windows.

Windows cost more money because Microsoft charges for the software; Windows also uses more RAM and CPU. Linux on the otherhand, is cheaper and is very great on saving resources; it allows you to run other things such as the rAthena Emulator and a MySQL server on a server with less RAM.

Thanks to @Kaito_Kid for mentioning us, we do try our best to make our services newbie friendly. But once you get the hang of Linux, a lot of people usually try to find a better deal or move to a dedicated server.

But I will point out the details that a lot of people miss... (things to consider for running an RO server on a VPS)

1) CPU power, how much do you get? If you have less CPU allocated to your server, can it handle the load?

2) RAM type, is it truly dedicated or is it made up of burst? Is it DDR3 or DDR2? If it's DDR2, is it ECC?

3) Bandwidth, do you get a good mix of bandwidth providers for a good connection for everyone around the world?

4) Hard drive, is it slow? How much RPM? Does it include RAID so that your data is always protected, even in the case of drive failure?

5) Oversold? Are the resources you pay for... really dedicated to you, or is it being shared and oversold to others?

So even though some VPS sellers are really cheap, you must consider those things before making a solid purchase. Otherwise, you may regret it; lose players, waste time, and money.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3

Anna, on 30 Apr 2012 - 08:43, said:

I am about to host my server... but my hoster lets me choose between windows and linux vpn?

HOW DO THEY DIFFER?

Windows hosting:

Windows hosting is based on windows OS.Windows hosting supports Asp,Asp.net,HTML,Php and MS SQL database.All software in windows hosting are cost high.

Linux hosting:

Linux hosting is based on Linux OS. Linux hosting supports Php,Pearl,Python and some other language.It supports databases like My SQL,Postgre SQL etc.Linux is an open source os.So you can download Linux based software at free of cost.It is most secure and safe than windows hosting.Linux OS is a virus free platform.

So Linux web hosting is best.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  275

@Asura...if I plan to purchase one your packages, will the price be different for windows and linux? my laptop is in windows

Hi Anna,

Everyone on this thread has nailed the fine points of using Linux over Windows; and when to actually use Windows. If you have absolutely no experience with Linux, you would either start with a company which provides a easy set up of Linux for a newbie to easily use, or just use Windows.

Windows cost more money because Microsoft charges for the software; Windows also uses more RAM and CPU. Linux on the otherhand, is cheaper and is very great on saving resources; it allows you to run other things such as the rAthena Emulator and a MySQL server on a server with less RAM.

Thanks to @Kaito_Kid for mentioning us, we do try our best to make our services newbie friendly. But once you get the hang of Linux, a lot of people usually try to find a better deal or move to a dedicated server.

But I will point out the details that a lot of people miss... (things to consider for running an RO server on a VPS)
1) CPU power, how much do you get? If you have less CPU allocated to your server, can it handle the load?
2) RAM type, is it truly dedicated or is it made up of burst? Is it DDR3 or DDR2? If it's DDR2, is it ECC?
3) Bandwidth, do you get a good mix of bandwidth providers for a good connection for everyone around the world?
4) Hard drive, is it slow? How much RPM? Does it include RAID so that your data is always protected, even in the case of drive failure?
5) Oversold? Are the resources you pay for... really dedicated to you, or is it being shared and oversold to others?

So even though some VPS sellers are really cheap, you must consider those things before making a solid purchase. Otherwise, you may regret it; lose players, waste time, and money.

Edited by miczster

@Asura...if I plan to purchase one your packages, will the price be different for windows and linux? my laptop is in windows

Hi miczster,

We only offer Linux-based services. Even if your computer runs on Windows, you shouldn't have any issues with using Linux. I recommend that you check out our YouTube channel for a better idea of how our service works.

http://youtube.com/asurahosting

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  275

so you mean I can use one of your packages(Linux based) even when I'm running Windows??(sorry ,a bit confused)

Edited by miczster

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  144

@Asura...sorry for this newb question ,but if the server is set up and already running with players already playing in it...do I need to keep my pc always on to keep it running online?(sorry no experience with web hosting yet)

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  268

@hyuna: You don't need to keep your PC on since your server is now being hosted from a hosting provider. Unless you are just using your own computer as the server.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  144

ohh thx Kaitou Kid...hope I make my server online soon///

• Content Count:  66

so you mean I can use one of your packages(Linux based) even when I'm running Windows??(sorry ,a bit confused)

Yes. Think about it as a separate computer that you are controlling/accessing remotely. 

Hi miczster,

Yes, that would be correct.

• Upvote 1