[Resolved] Newbie Spriting Question

Uplink

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15

I've read the "Making A Sprite" in eAthena Wiki and it says,

"You can use SPR Conviewer (made by bakausagi) to make your sprite. Once you opened SPR conview, you will have to go to "Convert > Bmp to SPR" (only works with 8 bits bmp images). Click on "Add" and select all your frames. Try to name them like "Frame1", "Frame2", etc. and then select them all at the same time."

The guide I read told me to make frames of 24bits/256 colors bmp image. I've done a few and I'm ready to make the sprite.

If what I read is right, I've learned that in making a successful sprite, you need both the .SPR file and .ACT file to make it all work.

In SPR_Conview_v0.11, I was able to convert my .bmp images to a .SPR file.

So my question is, how do you make the .ACT file? I know you can open the .SPR file in actOR2, then save it as .ACT file.

But I think I'm missing something in between here, since directly saving it as .ACT file after you loaded the .SPR file makes an error.

I hope someone would be kind enough to answer my newbie question. Thanks a lot! :D

8 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  566

What I usually do is take an original act from ragnarok and then make my act out of that. So if it is an animated headgear, you take an act of an animated headgear from ragnarok.

This is how i make my acts but I don't know if there are other methods other people use.

• Upvote 1

What I usually do is take an original act from ragnarok and then make my act out of that.

I get everything you said except this part. I don't know where to start... sorry 'bout that.

What I thought and did was, like you said, I got an original .act file from ragnarok and I got the poring.act. How would I be able to make an .ACT out of this one? Since if I try opening poring.act in actOR2 it would instantly show frames of which are the same as poring.spr. I'm getting confused :D

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  802

24bits/256 colors bmp image

24 bits bmp != 256 colors bmp. 8 bits images = 256 colors (color table).

In RO, we don't create acts, we edit them. We use official RO acts to make our own acts (by editing them, in case it's needed). Use an official act that suits your sprite. Change it's name so it will have the same name your sprite has.

You can edit the position by modyfing it in the same frame, instead of changing Xoffs and Yoffs values in the act (since it would take much more time).

If you have to make other edits such as number of frames, opacity, rotation, etc. modify the act with ActOr 1 and/or 2.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  566

I get everything you said except this part. I don't know where to start... sorry 'bout that.

What I thought and did was, like you said, I got an original .act file from ragnarok and I got the poring.act. How would I be able to make an .ACT out of this one? Since if I try opening poring.act in actOR2 it would instantly show frames of which are the same as poring.spr. I'm getting confused :D

If it is a headgear act that you are trying to make then you must pick an official headgear act to make yours. If it is a monster act then you must pick an official monster act that will fit in with yours.

You can't take a monsters act and make it in to a headgear act.

Edited by Adel
  • Upvote 1

Ohh... It's starting to make sense to me now. Thanks a lot guys! :D

Uhh guys... is there a program where you test your sprites? I mean, I don't have my own server to put it in and see what it looks like in-game or if it does work and nothing is wrong with it. D:

Edited by Uplink

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  802

Only ActOR 2. However, you don't always notice the glitchs, so testing it ingame is the best way to find bugs.

I see... again, thanks for all the help! I know it's gonna be a long journey *cough* lol and I appreciate everything you guys said. :D I now got the hang of this converting and etc. (maybe), now that's left is a little more creativity in thinking of new stuff to make. Again, thanks a lot! Hope to post some of my works in here soon if everything does turn out great. LOL :)

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  132

24bits/256 colors bmp image

24 bits bmp != 256 colors bmp. 8 bits images = 256 colors (color table).

In RO, we don't create acts, we edit them. We use official RO acts to make our own acts (by editing them, in case it's needed). Use an official act that suits your sprite. Change it's name so it will have the same name your sprite has.

You can edit the position by modyfing it in the same frame, instead of changing Xoffs and Yoffs values in the act (since it would take much more time).

If you have to make other edits such as number of frames, opacity, rotation, etc. modify the act with ActOr 1 and/or 2.

Guys is there a way to change the Xoffs and Yoffs to the position that I want in ALL the frames at once? Instead of changing frame by frame for each act and each position?

p.s: I guess I'm trying to do exactly what devilevil said, change the position in the frame so I dont have to edit act by act, but how to do that using actor2?

Edited by Cephaler