Is it just me...or?

Pneuma

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  846

I've noticed that alot of people have decided to make their own RO servers and have no clue how to do it...and i'm okay with that...but some of the people who try have no knowledge what-so-ever about how to even get the files for it even though I'm sure on the wiki there is a complete guide on how to set it up. So could anyone else give their opinion on this matter? I just dont understand why everyone is doing it now~ Late Feb./Early March

• Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  86

mmm, u have reason... i too think it..

maybe for vacation... free time...

but in part its good, ( i think ) in the future rathena will have a big contributors, developers or scripters...

my opinion :P!!

Greetings man And Sorry my English hehe

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2192

I personally find people who have no knowledge of running a server should never even open a server. Owners need to know that running a server for fun isn't something to do unless you plan on learning from it. If you have a server, that's good to learn on, just don't make it public unless you're actually dedicated and know scripting/sourcing and actually have interpersonal skills. Nowadays, admins are rude and arrogant and have no idea on what they're doing.. =/

Edited by Mysterious
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  12

^ I agree with you 100%! I was literally just thinking this to myself.

• Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2244

good one

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  530

because they're young aggressive.. and they have money lol.. 1 factor of course is it's vacation., it's easy to ask because someone will always answer

• Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  846

Mmm...All good responses...

And I do agree with Mysterious; Now-a-days, most new server admins are rude and suck at keeping balance. Not only that, but they rely too much on making money or other people to run the server for them.

Example: Midgard Chronicle's GM team.... I was there for a few days and had a problem with a player and had the GM look into it... I asked everyday for 5 days straight if they could tell me something about what was happening about it...All the GM team would tell me was "We're sorry, but we cannot tell you any information about it except that we're still looking into it and waiting for a response from the admin." Nothing ever happened to the player. Come to find out he was good friends with the whole GM team and the admin.

Edited by Pneuma

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  414

I personally find people who have no knowledge of running a server should never even open a server. Owners need to know that running a server for fun isn't something to do unless you plan on learning from it. If you have a server, that's good to learn on, just don't make it public unless you're actually dedicated and know scripting/sourcing and actually have interpersonal skills. Nowadays, admins are rude and arrogant and have no idea on what they're doing.. =/

This. That's why a lot of servers come and go. Because people don't know what they're doing or they're releasing "unfinished servers". I think you don't have to rush in making a server, unless you want some quick cash *COUGH*.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  11

I agree with a lot of what people here are saying, but the problem is, it's hard to learn how to successfully manage a server if you never make one public. I think many admins from the popular servers have gotten to where they are by trial and error. Yes, you can run a server on your machine, read guides and so on, but that's just not the same as making a server public and gaining real experience. It's much easier to find bugs and to learn how to fix them when you actually have players reporting them. I think at the end, it's the people that play on those obviously mismanaged servers that are at fault.

Edited by Zeidan

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  530

Mmm...All good responses...

And I do agree with Mysterious; Now-a-days, most new server admins are rude and suck at keeping balance. Not only that, but they rely too much on making money or other people to run the server for them.

Example: Midgard Chronicle's GM team.... I was there for a few days and had a problem with a player and had the GM look into it... I asked everyday for 5 days straight if they could tell me something about what was happening about it...All the GM team would tell me was "We're sorry, but we cannot tell you any information about it except that we're still looking into it and waiting for a response from the admin." Nothing ever happened to the player. Come to find out he was good friends with the whole GM team and the admin.

this is one of the reason I hate some servers that pet players one of their friends or such.. and it's hard to trust anyone especially if you don't know them or even if you do know them (you don't know when the Dark Side would call them LOL CORRUPTION).

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  43

@ts might be the excessive branching nowadays.

Previously when you google "make my server ragnarok" whatnot you would get a few, but detailed and direct guides with links to updating resources (ea, games-service svn). Now that all this stuff is happening around with renewal/3ceam/ra/ea/clients it's gotten harder to find a good guide (not to mention that even before that starting a server, even not a public one, could be challenging).

IMHO.

Edited by Derceto