Scripting Contest

plankt

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  130

Hey all! (updated 2012-05-26)

The final exams for this year is finally done, so a lovely three months are free to be dedicated to lots of fun projects! If these competitions are wanted again, PM me the interest, and if three, or more, members are interested, I'll boot them up again.

Last weeks winner:

Wat (no winners yet)

About the contest

This is a contest which is meant to bring together coders throughout the community and let them try out their imagination, creativity and their ability to get everything down in a script. Also to let them see the mind of their fellow scripters, see how their codes differ to yours, and maybe pick up some hints and ideas on how to improve or solve something you had difficulties with.

Everyone is welcome to participate, whether you’re a novice or an advanced coder, you can always have a great time and learn something on the way!

Each week a category with a description and some requirements will be released. All those who want to participate can submit their work. At the end of each week the submissions will be judged based on:

• Creativity of the finished work.
  • How well it fits in to the category and description provided.
  • How well it fits in to the game itself.
  • How well the code and provided resources are made.

A winner will be announced with the new category and will also be featured on the post for the week out together with the work he/she made.

I'll be updating with winners and new categories each week here and keep this topic for suggestions and feedback for the event itself and not for the submissions. Submissions will be delivered by email and released after the winner has been picked, with full credits to the makers.

I would love to hear feedback on the subject, if there's any interest, what can be improved, what could be ditched, basically anything on your mind.

Changes:

10/1 - Elimination - Removed the limit of 60% needed eliminations per round.

26/5 - Updated thread with new information

Preview of Events ideas:

• Artificial Intelligence
    The future is all about machines being able to interact with users.
  • Code obfuscation
    How hard can a Hello World program be to read? Time to find out.

Edited by plankt
  • Upvote 3

Update: No entries for the Christmas event. The category will be updated next week for a new challenge!

Merry Christmas!

• 3 weeks later...

Update: New category posted! Deadline 29/1

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  615

In regards to the rules you stated:

You can only eliminate at most 60% of the remaining members per round

Even with your example of Rock, Paper, Scissors....

Several users could be eliminated... suppose 20 Players are playing...

2 Choose Rock, 18 Choose Scissors, and 0 Choose Paper, You can't assume that only 60% are going to choose something different, in this case you could be eliminating all but 2 players (90%)....

Thoughts? I don't think this should be that restrictive...

That's a good point. I'll leave it up to the participants to decide how many to eliminate. Not all elimination systems work well with a 60% limit.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  835

i dun interest on participate it. i just wan give suggestion becos i read there write suggestion are WELCOME.

i dunno script but i can give suggestion. i'm pro imagination. but not perfect =) (if u like it, use it. if you like it but wan modify, just modify it. if dun like it, ignore it ^^)

1.Catching Pet Mini Game/Event,

when Event start people who talking to Npc A. the Npc A will give to any player who talking to the npc Taming Item

(Example: http://ratemyserver....db&item_type=12)

then who are fast to catching all the Pet into a egg will win the game. to those who fail to catching the required pet list will lose the game.

2.Pirate Treasure Hunting.

This kind of event similar to Gravity official ro treasure hunt event.

Treasure will be spawn random at selector map and will spawn 1 by 1.(mean must be open by someone else only will spawn second)

1.town,2.Fild,3.Fild,4.Fild,5.Fild,6.Dungeon,7.Dungeon,8.Dungeon,9.Dungeon,10.Dungeon.

in the End who get the Most Treasure Win The Game. ( you can set for player hit the treasure only or get the inside item also can. if all player all have 1 item no winner. the treasure event continue 10 more spawn map)

if set hit treasure only that will no need affrare player keep the item for next time.

if set get item must set after event end the Item will be take away from player.

3.Disguise Race.

it's like Morroc Race way but morroc race way too short (if feel too short can make it two map). player will have check point. to ppl who wan join will warp to the map. any ppl warp to the map will disguise into random mob. after that they need to stand in the start place. Gm have make sure all player no cheating. and need to set the map cannot use speed pot or something make them speed up. every time player reach check point will get a buff agility lv1. if player miss even one check point will be kick out the game and count as lose.

4.Survive / Survivor.

Required maybe 1~2 or any map depend on u. like Pryamid/Maze. first player need register for this game. when event start register player will be warp to random in the map1, there will have random warp portal. some room will have monster. some room will have weak mvp. if player unlucky enought will meet 1 strong mvp. to those who able make it to the finish room will have 1 warp portal to continue to second map. then player have to walk and find the Custom Lunatic in the Map who carry a key. who kill the lunatic and get the key to the Finish line and talk to the Npc will win the Game.

those are suggestion. you are welcome to do your imagination.

if you like my suggestion want thx me share me the script =)

Edited by manabeast

Those are good suggestions for events and could give participants some tips.

As for categories, Survival and Pirates would be fun to have :)

A preview schedule will be posted at the end of this week to give a hint of coming categories.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: No entries for two weeks in a row. Since there's no interest the contests are stopped for now.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  241

Plankt :D!

well, i think the prize not attractive so no buddy internest on joining this contest /ok

This contest wasn't made for the prize as "about the contest" states, the prize was just more of a fun thing. I guess people just aren't interested in these kind of activities.

• Upvote 1

agree with you, but not all ppl are like enjoy script =O. if they dun join then you can script and release xD! i can provide you idea if you want to. just give some inspirasi to me i think for you wakaka. i m imaginator =) but not really good one.

• 3 months later...

• Topic Count:  218
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1180

Can I submit scripts privately or do they have to be posted for all to see? I hate to sound like a jerk, but I have had too much of my stuff stolen and other people claiming to have done it in the past. Thanks.

Peopleperson49

I just started my time off for summer which means I'll have plenty of time, which means that if there's interest in this I could bring it up again. I won't start it unless at least 3 members show interest to join.

@peopleperson49,

All scripts will be private until rated, then the thought was to publicly release them, with full credits to the scripter of course.

This is because the contest itself is for coders to improve by working with/against others on similar codes. Maybe catch up on a smart way someone solved an issue you had.

And how do you know the judge won't steal your work? ;)

• Topic Count:  218
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1180

I would hope that the script moderators can be trusted since they are put in that place. But I guess you really never know.

Peopleperson49

Luckily you won't have to know that since they won't be the ones judging ;)

• Upvote 1