[Question] Sprite/Act files testing?

Xgear

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14

Is there any possible way to figure out what is wrong with an act/spr?

I made a new sprite from a lready-existing weapon. I added the BMP files used by the sprite in there and gave the correct positions and stuff. I didnt delete the old images the act file had, although I did remove the layers/frames for them.

I changed them on act_004.

If I play it, it looks good. however, if I test them ingame, client either crashes or tells me "Something bad happened".

Also, on a previous version of the act file I had, which only contained one image frame on one view, the client wouldnt crash.

Is it possible to figure out what is wrong with it? O.o

6 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  399

Have you audited the sprite from within Actor?

• Content Count:  207

Hm. I'm not sure if I'm reading your problem correctly, so pardon me if my attempted assistance is of no use--Are you literally trying to drag and drop .bmps into an .act (if that's even possible)? Don't forget that you need to convert .bmps to .spr using a program such as SPR Conview, and then you can start adjusting the .act.

IMO it's never a good idea to remove or add frames from sprites themselves. Make sure that whatever custom sprite you're making has a matching frame count as the sprite from which you'll be using the act. So if your sprite has let's say 5 frames, then you need the act from another sprite that has exactly 5 frames. I've found that's a good way to avoid a few problems.

Don't forget to check out the rA wiki page on spriting and acts:

http://rathena.org/wiki/Spriting

http://rathena.org/wiki/Acts

I hope this helps.

• Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  399

Sending forum PM to OP in hopes that we'll get a response as to the status of his inquiry.

Pst, its the holidays :P

@jTynne

I am not sure what you mean by audited.. :

@GayPuff

I did create the SPR file, however it didnt quiet work right, so I ended up drag&drop bmp files which worked fine.

As I mentioned, one of the frames seems to look fine, but all the others show no equipment at all.

I am pretty new to this whole ACT thing so pardon my noobness

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  97

-If the sprite frames are in bitmap format be sure the SpType is 0 (In the table at the bottom, 2nd field on the left.), if they're targa, (.tga) then SpType = 1.

-Each action can only have a specific amount of frames (Slider bar), the exception being Act00 and Act02 which in my experience can go over 24 frames (Slider Bar).

-Make sure your xmag and ymag are not in the negative. I've found this can sometimes cause crashes. If you need it in the negative, edit the sprite and flip the images.

-As for Act04, it can only have 6 frames (Slider bar). If the act that you're editing has a higher number, try using a different act file.

I didnt delete the old images the act file had, although I did remove the layers/frames for them.

For this, did you use the same palette from the original images for your new ones? Sprites I don't think can handle more than one palette.

Also, on a previous version of the act file I had, which only contained one image frame on one view, the client wouldnt crash.

And for this, are you saying you added more than one pattern to the act?

ie: Action00, DirectionV, Frame1, (In the table) PatNo 1, PatNo 2.

So the frame has two patterns?

That's all I can think of that might be your problem. I hope this helped. :/

My first sprite was a Client Crasher too, so just keep trying and you'll soon learn the method. =D

Edited by Angst

Yeah SpType is 0 I don't think I have any negative numbers (Cant check the act files atm) but I do have them mirrored.

I didnt add/remove frames, simply replaced existing ones