Re: suggestions

Brian

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2223

Re: http://www.eathena.ws/board/index.php?act=findpost&pid=1061091379

Going to a new forums, or a new project, as people have been talking about, will most likely improve eAthena. Why?

* There will be a project leader around that actually cares.

* the project leader will be able to make educated decisions for the good of the emulator, including bringing on new developers

The one thing that eAthena has lacked for the past 6 years is a well laid out structure, release cycle, and developer responsibilities. How come Ubuntu moves a long so well but yet all their developers are volunteers? Besides the size of the project, it's because there is an active project leader and structure to how releases are made and changes are made. Unfortunately, we don't have the freedom of Ubuntu to actually release something...as eAthena is always following the development of kRO/iRO, random at best.

Personally, at this point, I am fully in support of forking eAthena and can and will assist in any way possible. If we get enough support from the development team, we wouldn't really have to fork it at all.

Then, we need to come up with a well thought you plan of how we need to manage it:

* Promote donations.

* Give the donations to the developers that work on eAthena

* Relax on our developers requirements. We have tons of talent already in the eAthena community that have posted Developer Applications. Just look at the related topic. But yet, only 2 people out of 30 some odd replies have been granted a developer title. Why?

* Relax on our 'IT MUST BE OFFICIAL FROM KRO OMFG" crap. Does Ubuntu use stuff directly from Debian? No. they use to...they stopped and look at their userbase, it completely went out of control. We have a trunk branch, lets actually use it as it was supposed to be used. Put stuff that isn't 100% official in there, have people with the knowledge test it...if it isn't right...fix it.

* Move our IRC channel to freenode.

* Move onto sourceforge. No monthly fees and it comes with everything we could need.

* A ton of people have suggested that we bring the 3cream project and merge it to eAthena. We have a trunk branch, let's use it.

I've always been tired of the laid back-ness of eAthena. I was even at fault for some of it (only because the developers were pretty apprehensive towards me NOT being an existing developer. You got an existing developer as your lead. Nothing changed (actually things got worse). Good job.) but its time to clean it up, get a project lead that has a good vision of stuff for the future and go with it. We still have Global Moderators that can post announcements on every forum (I think) that says that eAthena has moved. Get a dedicated documentation writing team (I've been trying but the wiki is so broken it's not even funny) and go.

Again, I fully support a move and would be willing to offer administration support 100%.

How does this sound to everyone?

any other suggestions?

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  547

Hey brian without the L this time :)

Great thing (you or whoever is responsible for this board) accomplished. Its working like a charm, but as for me the wiki isnt working at all.

I must admit that I personally like the part where you can comment to every SVN commit, but I would not really allow everyone to post there, because of unnecessary questions and therefore unnecessary work for the moderators.

As for the donation promotion I would be in favor of that one, if and really only if there is a decent plan/system behind it and the money is used exclusively for this project, mind the IPB and costs are more important than a payment to the developers.

But what I still have some questions:

do you plan to copy some parts/posts of the old board over to here?

Is this board really our new official board? Well thats something I dont really care about if it at least works and some active users are taking part in here.

Will there be an international section again?

Will you look for new moderators(global and international ones)?

Best regards and thanks for all of your effort towards eathena.

Lemon

PS: I hope this board will be working with the iPhone app! :D

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2

I think that everyone should help importing the important topics from the old board provided the original author's name. Then mods will just sticky them. This way, this whole migration process will be done fast. How does that that sound?

Would be little bit chaotic dont you think? I also think that would increase the wrong people's post count :)

I would say let the admins/mods decide what is important and not every user himself... Its better that way, believe me.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2

If that way works, we wouldn't be here at the first place right? It's not about the post count, but helping the staffs in migrating eA in this new forum, and there is also a reason why the delete function is there.

sorry you got me wrong, I also dont mind the post count. but I think its not a good idea because everyone thinks of something different that its important and therefore I would just let the moderators move topics over here, because they have got their jobs for certain reasons and I think one of the basic reasons should be estimation of the worth of a content in this board, because they have to deal with it everyday in their "job". :)

hi Lemongrass (yay your avatar!)

Does the wiki just load really slow, or does it not work at all? Sourceforge has some restrictions on their project web hosting (all outbound connections are blocked). I think MediaWiki uses outbound connections to check InterWiki links and maybe other stuff too. I'm still looking into it and probably going to disable all the Http::Get in MediaWiki.

Or it might be the Vector skin. Can you try these and see if they load any faster?

ipbwiki_skin - http://eathena.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page&useskin=ipbwiki_skin

ipbwiki_skin_monobook - http://eathena.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page&useskin=ipbwiki_skin_monobook

I like the SVN Log too! I hope it will be a way to make everyone more aware of SVN commits (they might read forums but not check the SVN Log as often). I left the topics open so users can comment on SVN commits. Yes you're right it might lead to unnecessary questions.. maybe I should make a "This is NOT a support section" announcement there. I'll leave replies enabled for now and we'll see how it goes. :)

But what I still have some questions:

do you plan to copy some parts/posts of the old board over to here?

Is this board really our new official board? Well thats something I dont really care about if it at least works and some active users are taking part in here.

Will there be an international section again?

Will you look for new moderators(global and international ones)?

I copied Global Announcements and will probably copy some announcements/pinned topics from each section, but I did not plan on copying individual topics. I don't know what will "officially" happen yet, but I am certain these forums will stay for a long time because Sourceforge project web hosting is FREE!

International section - yes.

Hiring new moderators - not sure yet, maybe depending on how the other staff respond.

PS: does the iPhone app require any special configuration on our end, or does it just use the IP.Board Mobile skin?

Hi Codex, we will not be stickying every topic from the old forum but you are welcome to copy them over. I already copied Global Announcements and I will copy some announcement/pinned topics from each section. If [eathena.ws/board/] is still going to be online (at least read-only), I don't see the need to copy every topic from there.

• Content Count:  802

The sourceforge idea is just awesome, I'm totally in favour of it. Regarding the staff, I think important staff members as well as active contributors should gather and talk about this. There should be an irc channel, interested people as well as potential contributors will join soon.

PS: does the iPhone app require any special configuration on our end, or does it just use the IP.Board Mobile skin?

It just uses a special skin (at least it's that way on my board). Btw, I already said it in eA, I have a recent IPB license and I'm not using it, just tell me if you will need it for this site. Currently I feel I paid for nothing xD.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  241

You guys can use tapatalk for mobile http://www.tapatalk.com/ then Brain can install the tapatalk plugin :) or someone make an official iPhone app for eA :D

I will try to write an automatic exporter from previous forum to here, wish me luck lol,

I will mostly export the scripts :D

Yes I like the SVN Commit topics aswell :D)

hmmm, the irc , yes we should have , but I kinda hoping an IPB integrated chat thingy but that would prolly beh resource hungry, but anything that we can use to chat would be nice :D

@Brain hey , im sorry to be demanding lol, but is there a way we can show the total rep below the avatar or something :P or I am dreaming ?

hmmm, the irc , yes we should have , but I kinda hoping an IPB integrated chat thingy but that would prolly beh resource hungry, but anything that we can use to chat would be nice :D

@Brian hey , im sorry to be demanding lol, but is there a way we can show the total rep below the avatar or something :) or I am dreaming ?

I setup a link to the #athena channel using Mibbit:

http://eathena.sourceforge.net/irc/chat

If IRC channel changes, we can edit that later.

Yes we can make it show Reputation on users' profiles, but I turned it off because I was thinking reputation would be for +1'ing content (posts). If someone wanted to rate a person, they can use the 5-star rating on their profile page.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  241

oh please turn it on :)

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  615

I'm kind of confused as to what this is going to accomplish...

agreed, the forums look cleaner, but what of it?

will enough migrate over if they keep eathena.ws and don't officially move here?

will this end up being a forked project, in which, we literally "steal" eAthena away?

I am kind of questioning what's really happening here... it almost sounds like a revolt :)

Does the wiki just load really slow, or does it not work at all? Sourceforge has some restrictions on their project web hosting (all outbound connections are blocked). I think MediaWiki uses outbound connections to check InterWiki links and maybe other stuff too. I'm still looking into it and probably going to disable all the Http::Get in MediaWiki.

Or it might be the Vector skin. Can you try these and see if they load any faster?

ipbwiki_skin - http://eathena.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page&useskin=ipbwiki_skin

ipbwiki_skin_monobook - http://eathena.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page&useskin=ipbwiki_skin_monobook

It runs really slow and sometimes it even cancels the connection and raises a http error after loading 2-5 minutes. No better at the other skins sorry.

It works allready. I get notified depending on my settings about new posts etc on my iPad :) thats something really great, for example i got an alert that you quoted my post xP

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  34

The mobile skin works on my iPhone, perfectly.

I installed IPBWiki so we could use our forum login on the wiki.

When i enter the wiki site, it shows my login name instead of my displayname. Any way to change this?

As far as I know, no way for the user to change it.

We could manually edit it in SQL, but I'm not sure if MediaWiki would still recognize it's you.

I wonder if we can make the IPBWiki extension sync to users' Display Name rather than their Login Name. *adds to todo list*

i didnt mean, if i could change it. what i meant was if you could change a setting for that :)

this really sucks because then the intention behind the differentiation between user and displayname becomes useless! :/

agreed, that is a pretty odd security flaw in itself...

but I'm fairly confident there is probably an extension that swaps the display of "username" with "display name"

but I'm fairly confident there is probably an extension that swaps the display of "username" with "display name"

I also think their should be some kind of mod for it, havent looked into it yet though.

btw could you decrease the post per side count to 10 or something? :) this topic is getting a whole load of scrolling :D

I also think their should be some kind of mod for it, havent looked into it yet though.

btw could you decrease the post per side count to 10 or something? :) this topic is getting a whole load of scrolling :D

This is a user setting...

Next to your name @ the top right of the screen, you will see a small arrow, click that and goto settings... you will then see a tab for "forums"

http://eathena.sourceforge.net/board/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=forums&area=settings

formstuff.png

Next to your name @ the top right of the screen, you will see a small arrow, click that and goto settings... you will then see a tab for "forums"

http://eathena.sourceforge.net/board/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=forums&area=settings

formstuff.png

oh lol. i've never worked with the newer ipb versions yet. didn't know that there is a user setting for this now :)

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  106

formstuff.png

oh lol. i've never worked with the newer ipb versions yet. didn't know that there is a user setting for this now :)

These settings were already there on the older versions :D.

http://www.eathena.ws/board/index.php?act=UserCP&CODE=04

my fail :)

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  186

Does the wiki just load really slow, or does it not work at all?  Sourceforge has some restrictions on their project web hosting (all outbound connections are blocked).  I think MediaWiki uses outbound connections to check InterWiki links and maybe other stuff too.  I'm still looking into it and probably going to disable all the Http::Get in MediaWiki.

Or it might be the Vector skin.  Can you try these and see if they load any faster?

ipbwiki_skin - http://eathena.sourc...in=ipbwiki_skin

ipbwiki_skin_monobook - http://eathena.sourc...i_skin_monobook

Even if I'm not lemongrass, i will try to provide some feedback.

(Anything tested without any cookie or cache storage)

Wiki with default skin: >5s

Wiki with "ipbwiki_skin_monobook": <=3s (fastest, all the time)

Wiki with "ipbwiki_skin": 7s (slowest, all the time)

€dit: My post editor didnt have any WYSIWYG features (isnt this a IPB standard? Allways using

WBB, so sorry for this question) and the bbcode is screwed/mixed up by html code.

This is enables cross-site scripting vulnerabilities :/

Anyways, good job! I like the idea of a new forum and hope to get a cleaner community.

Edited by GodLesZ