Resizing GRF

Deviszh

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  173

I have my own grf but its too way big. Its about 240mb

I have data.grf (2gb) and rdata.rf (556mb)

so my full client got 3gb.

How to make my own grf less size?

4 answers to this question

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3126

You make it smaller by taking stuff out. There is a grf tool in the downloads area that can compress files within a grf.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5

You make it smaller by taking stuff out. There is a grf tool in the downloads area that can compress files within a grf.

thanks, i will search it out.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1096

There are a bunch of methods to do that.

First of all you can try to use lzma compression for data/rdata it will change size of Data grf from 2gb to around 1.2 gb, and rdata size from 500mb to around 200-220MB, + your GRF will be resized well too. Then you can to try to avoid duplicate resource usage via "Patch tool" inside GRF editor, look screenshot below:

qIIDAEF.png

How enable LZMA compression:

Go to opions, and select compression method LZMA

Then go to File -> Save Advanced -> Repack

+ Do not forget to put to your game-client advanced modified GRF Editor cps.dll which support classic ZIP/unzip and advanced lzma algorithm (you can find this cps.dll (size more then 72KB) in GRF editor folder (where usually you are extract your grf files))

KarH1ZQ.png

So, you can enter to "old grf field" your data.grf, and to "newer grf field" your current game-server GRF, then create patch which you need convert to GRF, it will remove ALL duplicates in your game-server grf if compare to official data.grf. The same you can do for rdata.grf too (if you wish). Summary by following these methods you can decrease size of your full game client from 3GB up to 1.4GB easly. But please try to understand important things related to LZMA algorithm, this algorithm compress much better resources, and need the same amount of cpu (or similar) to decompress it while client will work. That means client-based processors should decompress it while they playing. And maybe it will cause some issues for players while they are playing (for example intensive CPU usage).

In my personal experience LZMA were slow-down very much game-client in CPU usage  for resource-heavy maps like new prontera for players with old (2007-2011 pc build) or for laptop users (all laptops has bad CPU). But decide what do you wish todo.

Edited by Anacondaqq
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  173

There are a bunch of methods to do that.

First of all you can try to use lzma compression for data/rdata it will change size of Data grf from 2gb to around 1.2 gb, and rdata size from 500mb to around 200-220MB, + your GRF will be resized well too. Then you can to try to avoid duplicate resource usage via "Patch tool" inside GRF editor, look screenshot below:

qIIDAEF.png

How enable LZMA compression:

Go to opions, and select compression method LZMA

Then go to File -> Save Advanced -> Repack

+ Do not forget to put to your game-client advanced modified GRF Editor cps.dll which support classic ZIP/unzip and advanced lzma algorithm (you can find this cps.dll (size more then 72KB) in GRF editor folder (where usually you are extract your grf files))

KarH1ZQ.png

So, you can enter to "old grf field" your data.grf, and to "newer grf field" your current game-server GRF, then create patch which you need convert to GRF, it will remove ALL duplicates in your game-server grf if compare to official data.grf. The same you can do for rdata.grf too (if you wish). Summary by following these methods you can decrease size of your full game client from 3GB up to 1.4GB easly. But please try to understand important things related to LZMA algorithm, this algorithm compress much better resources, and need the same amount of cpu (or similar) to decompress it while client will work. That means client-based processors should decompress it while they playing. And maybe it will cause some issues for players while they are playing (for example intensive CPU usage).

In my personal experience LZMA were slow-down very much game-client in CPU usage  for resource-heavy maps like new prontera for players with old (2007-2011 pc build) or for laptop users (all laptops has bad CPU). But decide what do you wish todo.

do I need to use the rdata.grf?

i tried, it keeps getting me error in iteminfo.lua