Designers! Can I ask you something?

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  133

I noticed something with the designers.. they don't give out the PSD/s and I'm wondering why.. I saw someone saying 'for security reasons' and that they will be the one to change the logo/banners.. for copyrights apparently.. but why?

Is it because:

1. So that they don't resell the design you made?
  2. So that they don't change the footer and claim it as their work?

But isn't it also their right to have the PSD because they bought the design?

I know this 'issue' is small but I'm just trying to be sure if I should continue giving them their rightful PSDs lol.

Thanks for the answer in advance!

P.S. I'm not good with English

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  43

They want to get more money i think lol

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  318

Well, it is up to the designers to decide on this - but be sure to mention it in your service threads what you offer and what you don't regarding that XD (general comment).

For coded pre-made designs that will be sold for a certain number of times, it is understandable that the PSD doesn't have to be provided. However, if the design is specifically made for a server and that there is a higher fee to it, the PSD should be provided. That way, if there are any changes to be done to buttons (changing the words, etc), the buyer does not have to keep referring back to the designer for additional changes. Furthermore, the designer would not be able to keep selling that tailored design anyways - Is there a worry that the design will be re-sold by the buyer/owner? Since you won't be making more money off of it, there shouldn't be too much of an alarm if such PSD is provided to the buyer.

It is sad though that some people will take credits off of the footer, but for majority of the cases, the buyer would keep it if the designer is well-known. It's just a good bonus to show the public that you are willing to buy a great design from a great designer.

For the designs I have bought (from ShiJu, SweetHoney, etc), PSDs were always provided (regardless if they were loading screens, patcher skins, web designs, and so forth), and the designers have always said that I can do whatever I want with them. It's a mutual agreement - so buyers should make sure and ask the important questions (or the designers to inform the buyers ahead of time regarding any terms). I have also seen owners selling some of their previous web designs since they are no longer using them (they did pay money for them...). But, designers should tell their buyers ahead of time if such an action is allowed. Some people allow it, some people don't since some coders do not want their modules to be distributed.

In the end, the decision is up to you! Of course, your buyers will appreciate having PSDs as well, especially if they are getting a custom design, but just be clear about any terms you may have~

Edited by Yuki

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  133

I see! Thank you for that well constructed post, Yukino! xD

I guess you've answered everything I needed to know!

You will surely get yours /no1

• Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  802

That's quite obvious.

If the material is not registered, having the PSD is still a way to prove you are the original owner of the work. I don't register all the stuff I make for companies, but I only give them the final assets (pngs, bmps, whatever), but not PSDs (except in special situations). The PSD is a proof you can use in a legal issue.

That's a good point you brought up, DevilEvil, but I guess it's the same for the buyer - if someone rips off the design, the buyer would like to say that they are the ones to buy it first. Of course, the designer can help say that, but some designers disappear from the RO scene... Several of them already did :P while taking some money away without fulfilling their terms >< (not talking about the thread starter since he's professional with his work ;D).

Also, when it comes to RO designs, I'm a bit iffy about the whole legal issue - the designs made are created to further promote the use of a private game server... Not sure how it would play out. But, the best thing is that nobody rips the designs, and that such a complicated situation won't happen (everything to be resolved peacefully after talking, etc).

And thanks, Hyvraine =D! It's ultimately your decision in the end! Edit: And we appreciate having the PSDs <3, thank you!

Edited by Yuki

• Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  802

An invoice or a contract proving the transaction between designer and buyer solves the problem for the buyer, in that case.

Having the PSDs, the buyer doesn't prove he purchased the work.

I guess that would work as well, though having the PSDs can still prove the buyer purchased the work. You get the content that you paid for (and that's why it is important to list terms ahead of time as a designer if you will provide PSDs or not. Most people here would assume you get PSDs if you are getting exclusive content made, especially for larger designs such as websites, splash pages, etc). Anyways, the artist themselves will have the PSD as well, and if needed, timestamps can be kept, taking pictures of previews and messages sent/replied between designer and buyer, and so on. There are ways to prove you are the original artist even if the PSD is provided. And I can say, most buyers would like to have the PSDs (not just for the sole reason that they are the original buyers - for editing's sake regarding buttons, etc). Some buyers want to use the same/similar designs for two or more servers (have seen that before) and need to make the appropriate changes to the design. So, the artist should mention ahead of time if this is allowed or not, or else buyers would assume they can since they are the ones who bought the designs (while leaving the credit of course ;D).

As for the invoice, it depends on what name the designer uses (if it is his/her real name, it may be harder to deal with this unless the designer has revealed his/her full name somewhere). There are some people in the world who would have the same names as well~ Furthermore, names can be made up easily with Paypal, etc - still doesn't feel like real evidence, especially when it comes to the RO scene. There have been fraud cases after all, noted with YHMWHY as an example (people trying to copy their names, and whatnot). But of course, that's the buyer's fault if he/she is not careful about the purchases. [You can easily create an account that mentions the designer's name, etc, thus rendering invoices and contracts useless unless the designer has posted somewhere about details of their payment account. But for some/most cases, the designer would mention that in PMs and not in the public for viewing, such as their Paypal account email in particular. This is a true example.] And, having an invoice as proof isn't necessarily good if you're dealing with RO designs XD... since we are dealing with private game server-related content. But, this is getting too much into the legality area.

All in all, it's up to the artist to decide on his/her course of action - and the group of potential buyers will also differ depending on the terms.

Edit: Sorry for the spam, I am high on Soy Milk.

Edited by Yuki
  • Upvote 1