Minimum specs for a server?

Incognito

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11

Does anyone know what specs a desktop/laptop must have to support 10-50 players in a server without lag?

8 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  319

Ignore that 256 MB and 512 MB stuff because that amount of ram wont get you anywhere since you need enough ram to run more then just the server program itself. At least 1 GB of ram minimal because you have to keep in mind that a OS needs ram to run itself in. For Windows XP you dont need much, but still need a good bit since installed service packs like SP2 and 3 with all of the latest updates do require a good bit of ram, but its less then what Windows 7 would require to run itself. My computer uses a little over 512 MB to run itself due to windows XP SP3 with updates, security program, UPS system monitor program, and a few other small things that use very little ram. Thats just a little over 512 and I have a dedicated GeForce video card and sound blaster sound card. So none of my CPU or RAM resources are being used for video or sound at all.

So how much does running the server itself use? The answer may vary depending on how its compiled, what OS your running it on, and how much content data is being loaded. From my test, im using Windows XP SP3 and running 3CeAM compiled in Visual Studio C++ 2008 with Net. 3.5 SP1 In 32-Bit Release TXT mode. The login-server uses 3,400 KB of RAM, char-server uses 3,852 KB of RAM, and the map-server uses 290,648 KB of RAM. The map server itself alone requires more then 256 MB of RAM just to run it. So a little over 512 MB for the computer to run, a good bit over 256 MB for the entire server setup to run. We didn't even cover the part on how much installing and running a SQL database will require if wanted. Note some game features only work in SQL mode.

With all of that calculated, 1 GB is around the minimal to run it. But then you gotta think about head space. Surely the OS, server, and SQL database programs will need extra head space (RAM) to flex around in when needed. Now what if you run on windows 7 64-bit and/or run the server in 64-bit? That further increase the amount of needed ram. Its a lot to think about, but the once thought of minimal spec's arnt as low as they used to be. Times changed, OS and system process changed, and the amount of content the server provides has increased constantly.

The minimal RAM I can suggest for XP users would a no lower then 1 GB. I dont know how much memory SQL uses, but I hear it uses a good bit. Its a minimal to run a server, but not both a server and client at the same time. The recommended I can suggest for a smooth running server without worry of crashing from lack of memory and allow you to run a server and game client while other few small processes are running is 2 GB.

I have to wonder where other's are getting this 256MB / 512MB stuff from. As for CPU im not too sure. Minimal I would suggest is....guess a pentium 4 or celeron??? For a recommended processor I would suggest something like a Intel Core 2 Duo. Sure the server isnt capable of using more then 1 core, but if the server is busy with 1 core, other processes the computer is running can use the other core so they don't hog up the 1st one with the server.

I don't know how much RAM rAthena needs to run itself but its likely around the same as 3CeAM or higher since it rAthena has more NPC scripts and bigger item/monster databases.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  2

Ive seen many Ragnarok Hosting Servers/VPS/cPanel and they give the details of Tiers:

1st Tier =

256mb RAM which said to be able to hold up to 1-70 players

2nd Tier=

512mb RAM

Player Slot: 1-150

3rd Tier=

1024mb RAM

Player Slot: 1-400

4th Tier=

2048mb RAM

Player Slot: 1-700

All the things listed above are the things I seen one VPS Company had offered, and Im not to sure about what its specs were except the RAM which is the main processes.

• Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1302

Posted · Hidden by Brian, March 4, 2013 - "to support 10-50 players" ? No.
Hidden by Brian, March 4, 2013 - "to support 10-50 players" ? No.

2000Mbps Internet Uplink

3.40 GHz Xeon E3-1270 Quad Core

8GB DDR3 RAM

500GB HDD SATA2

Debian 6 Squeeze 64 Bit

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  125

256mb is more than enough if you use lamp+rathena or lamp+3ceam :)

Does anyone know what specs a desktop/laptop must have to support 10-50 players in a server without lag?

if you are planning to have it as LAN type of connection, any pc at all running at least 1GB ram is more than enough

lag is a different thing, it is the connection between your server and players, it does not affect any specs except for connection of the  server

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  427

Ignore ...

I have to wonder where other's are getting this 256MB / 512MB stuff from. ...

Windows is very resource hungry, for example you always run several GUI related services. However if you use linux, the base system can use really low RAM, for example: 50MB or bellow.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11

Thanks for answering everyone, much appreciated.

• Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  319

Ignore ...

I have to wonder where other's are getting this 256MB / 512MB stuff from. ...

Windows is very resource hungry, for example you always run several GUI related services. However if you use linux, the base system can use really low RAM, for example: 50MB or bellow.

I forgot about that fact. Then again I haven't messed with Linux. Still, the map server itself is still using quite a bit of memory and their's no GUI for it. Just a command console in a window with a minimize, maximize, and exit button on the top right. With everything loaded the map server uses 290,648 KB, but with all npc scripts, monsters, warps, all npc related stuff disabled it uses just 204,584 KB. I think the map cache and npc scripts combined is whats using most of that memory.

How much does the map server use in a Linux system?

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  115

good for update to rA wiki :D

on Hardware Requirements..

• Upvote 1