Computer help

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  386

Since this is the general section, I assume I'm allowed to post this here.

Alright, so last night I came home from my dads, and I decided to bring my computer. It was running perfectly fine, until it fell about 3 inches, and everything on the screen froze. I tried to reboot, and I only get the "No signal" message from my monitor now. I've tried all

the basic troubleshooting, and I've even called asus support. [motherboard] They told me that my motherboard was dead, and that I would have to ship mine in to be repaired/swapped. I believe that my motherboard is not dead, however because; the green light on the motherboard is shining bright, indication of all systems go. Also, when I plug in a USB device, they light up as if they're functioning properly. It's not my monitor, as I've already tested it. It's also not my graphics card, because with HDMI/DVI in the graphics card, it gives the same error as the integrated VGA that my motherboard has. The computer is failing to POST.

Instead of not having my computer for 10 days, I'm coming here hoping to get a fix.

My computer specs are:

6GB DDR3 RAM.

GS500 Power Supply.

Asus M5a78L-M LX Motherboard.

FX-4100 AMD Processor.

GTS 450 video/graphics card.

Also, another problem I received after dropped my computer was that the processor pins were bent, so I fixed them one-by-one. Same error.

What do you guys think? Should I send in my motherboard to Asus and be computer-less for 10 business days?

Edited by Sharpienero

• Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1245

So your computer can't even perform the Power On Self Test? That makes things a little difficult. It could be your power supply or RAM. Try taking some RAM out and leaving a single DIMM in and boot up the system. If it works then 1 or more of your sticks are faulty. You can keep testing to locate the bad stick. Power supplies are a little more tricky. They can power up your board and give a green light and still be faulty. This happened to me a few years back where I had to replace my power supply even though my board lit up just fine. It was unable to boot at all. The fans just moved a bit and it shut off every time I pressed the power button.

You have a 80 plus power supply by Corsair however you never know. If you have a gaming tower, your power supply is most likely to be positioned at the bottom back end of the case. If you dropped your case about 3 inches in the air, you might have damaged it. So it could be the power supply as well.

Note: If you don't have proper contact with your pins to the processor that could be an issue. Also, I hope you didnt discharge static on the board when you fixed it. Always make sure you're grounded.

Can a moderator please move this topic to the Off Topic Section. Thanks!

So your computer can't even perform the Power On Self Test? That makes things a little difficult. It could be your power supply or RAM. Try taking some RAM out and leaving a single DIMM in and boot up the system. If it works then 1 or more of your sticks are faulty. You can keep testing to locate the bad stick. Power supplies are a little more tricky. They can power up your board and give a green light and still be faulty. This happened to me a few years back where I had to replace my power supply even though my board lit up just fine. It was unable to boot at all. The fans just moved a bit and it shut off every time I pressed the power button.

You have a 80 plus power supply by Corsair however you never know. If you have a gaming tower, your power supply is most likely to be positioned at the bottom back end of the case. If you dropped your case about 3 inches in the error, you might have damaged it. So it could be the power supply as well.

Yes, the computer is failing to power on self test. It's a gaming tower, but the power supply is located at the top of the case, haha. It's not the RAM or the power supply, I've tested them with my brothers computer.

I'm guessing I'm gonna be computer-less for 10 days.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1245

If you tested the RAM and the Power Supply then it's gotta be your board.

If you tested the RAM and the Power Supply then it's gotta be your board.

Damn, alright. Off to the post-office I go. ;c

Thanks for the help, Syouji.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  113

Or prolly the pins that were bent ? even though you fixed it, some pins has to be in exact straight position.

processor is really sensitive, when it fails your computer will not run even with the light on thats why its giving you no signal/connection on your monitor screen.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  530

have you tried and test a different Memory Slot when you Install your RAM's?

or have you also tried to pull off your mother board from the Case and test it on Air.

It is extremely easy to break a solder joint on a processor with a bent pin.

Try removing all the RAM from the board and powering the PC on. If no POST, you could be looking at the CPU or the motherboard. Try powering it up without the CPU. You should still get a basic post.

Or, your internal speaker is not turned on or attached. That seems to be really common nowadays. People turn off the POST notifications and then can't diagnose their computer properly.

Na, I had everything set up correctly. It was the motherboard, I sent it in.