Why Doesn't rAthena start up it's own Official Client project?

Ehcloprom

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  82

I've seen allot of closed source projects of people trying to make custom clients I just have one Suggestion / Question

Why Doesn't rAthena start a project for one... I know it's probably hard to find Developers for this kind of project but why not just start up a small project and see who takes interest into it? maybe it will get big maybe it will finally free everyone from "Gravitys Shitty Ass Clients"...

Yes I realize this should probably be under suggestions...

Edited by Obliterate

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  392

Developing a server application and a game client are very different. Doing the first does not necessarily mean, one is capable of or willing to do the latter. And we have a lot of stuff to do with rAthena, so everyone is pretty busy, I guess.

However, I definitely would not oppose if anybody wanted to cooperate somehow with rAthena team to create a working server+client duo. But that's only my opinion.

BTW Take a look at Shinryo's client topic in Project forums.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  82

Developing a server application and a game client are very different. Doing the first does not necessarily mean, one is capable of or willing to do the latter. And we have a lot of stuff to do with rAthena, so everyone is pretty busy, I guess.

However, I definitely would not oppose if anybody wanted to cooperate somehow with rAthena team to create a working server+client duo. But that's only my opinion.

BTW Take a look at Shinryo's client topic in Project forums.

I completely understand that developing a Emulator and Client are 100% different what I'm trying to say is why not get the word out that rAthena will start a client project in the long run it will probably get done faster and not just die off like 100% of all of the other projects that people start

being open source anybody that happens to want to help can at anytime.

Obviously it won't be a HUGE success in day but maybe over time enough people would take interest into it.

Yes I saw Shinryos project but the first thing I think of is how far is it actually going to go? I honestly think the only way it would work out in the end is if he actually decides to make it open source like he says it will be in the future.

the truth is that any one person cannot handle that much by himself and will eventually give up.

Edited by Obliterate

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  379

It's difficult to focus on differents projects (just see the result of stable + trunk so imagine for a server + client).

The problem is just that it required some active members to work on - and as you can see on other open source client (Open Ragnarok - Pantheon Online, ...) devs are lazy to keep it up to date, and new devs preferred writing their own closed-source client from scratch instead of helping another open source client.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  104

i think its a huge project if you deciced to create a client for the emulator.

but i think it would solve many problems.

often people are confused about the huge ammount of client versions and so on.

a stable client who gets updated parallel to the emulator would be a great addon to the emulator.

but i think it will take time. just let them get a nearly full working emulator for renewal, and there will also appear clear client solutions.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  227

Why would they start developing their own custom client if developing the emulator is a pain already? Look at the bugreports. I don't think they will handle another tons of bugreports for the client.

• Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  328

Why would they start developing their own custom client if developing the emulator is a pain already? Look at the bugreports. I don't think they will handle another tons of bugreports for the client.

+1

• Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  227

^

I didn't said that you guys are not doing a decent job or whatnot :( Your team is in fact the best and fast to work on fixes. It's just really unnecessary to have another project while the current one still needs attention since you guys are moving to renewal now.

If Shinryo will make his project open source, then it's a different story.

Edited by Macubex