Have you heard of that Protect IP Law Thing?

Lordamax

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  328

God... internet sucks when it happen...

• Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  97

I wonder if it will apply to us?

Last I heard, though I may be wrong, we won a court battle already against Gravity; so we may be in the clear?

Don't quote me on that though, .__.;

• Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  87

No not at all. It's acutally a "I can do anything I want beause I own this" pass. So despite winning a court class, this basically over rides anything. I already wrote a email to my congressman. I'm planning on calling my senator too. We need to shut this down. Not just for rA but to protect our unalienable rights that they're trying to take away from us.

Edited by ScriptingPhailure

• Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  328

I'm just paranoid about this law thing. I'm just worried if Gravity will support this Protect IP thingy and hunt us all down.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  57

There would be consequences of a much larger scale, aside from Gravity running amok. I call bullshit on all the attempts of so called "improving security for citizens" (see Telecommunications data retention in the European Union) or "providing tools for copyright holders to protect their property" (see the already mentioned PIPA or SOPA and ACTA). All those things are massive interferences to privacy and/or freedom on the Internet and need to be stopped.

Times change and copyright has to be revamped in the future - censoring the Internet will NOT help.

Thus, a BIG thanks to Wikipedia, Google and other huge companies/organizations that help informing the public about this matter.

Also thanks to Obama and the White House for criticizing these senate bills and at least requesting a revised version, even if it's probably just due to the upcoming presidential elections.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  392

The core problem with copyright is that enforcement of it requires monitoring of communications, and you cannot be guaranteed free speech if someone is monitoring everything you say. This is important, most people fail to see or address this point when debating the issue of copyright, so let me make it clear:

You cannot guarantee freedom of speech and enforce copyright law.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Well, that sums it all up.