[Resolved] Lined lightmaps? (As if there is a shadow casted on a straight line)

Truly

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  201

Hey everyone, i come with my first support question! This has to deal with BrowEdit, and i have asked this on the old eA forums months ago with no help, i don't if i can get it fixed here!

Basically my lightmaps are 100% fine, and they work perfect except for when i make a lightmap to shine on an angled plane. (Note this is only the 2nd time it has happened to me in months of mapping)

Here is a screenshot of the olden map i was working on:

Untitled-1-1.jpg

And now for the most recent one...

Problem.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

Also for small notes: I used revision 586 and 620, and there was no difference.

9 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1245

I've had similar results before with lined lightmaps. I had to adjust intensity levels and distance of lights fix this issue. I also found that if the slope of an incline is great enough that also messes up lightmaps. Your slopes look low enough so it shouldnt cause this bug. I could analyze your map files if you want to see if I can make any changes to them in terms of light intensities to give the same replication. Also note that make sure if you dont want lightmaps to interfere with shadows tick off the cast shadows especially when it comes to color. It could also be quadtrees, or water level heights and always use 586 as it has corrected quadtree calcs where 620 does not.

Edited by Syouji

Alright sorry for the delayed response, but i have some small updates.

I have tested changing the lightmaps intensity, location, and other aspects. I also messed with global lighting and my other "sun" lights with no success. After further examination, i found it to be the terrain slope that is the issue, oddly enough it happens regardless of other aspects for other maps. I decided that i will act as if there is no lightmap problems, then when i am done with the map, i sill smooth the map out, generate the lightmaps, then undo the smooth to keep the correct lights.

^ Smart idea huh (j.k)? haha :)

Thanks for your help~

Edited by Truly

• Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  383

Yes, it's the terrain slope who occures this kind of problem. I don't know what will happens if you start from a flat terrain ... Lightmaps are really bad in RO, we must use them very carefully and they can't be used for make an ambiance (except ambiant one / Sun one). They can only be used for little flat-coloured area ... (Check how they have been used in official maps)

Circles of lights also happens (IG, we don't see it in BE), we are definitely limited ;D An adapted level design to the possibilities of the game must be taken ...

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  379

It's BrowEdit fault, an error on the light generation.

I never understand why BrowEdit do a "light object" system for generate lightmap, it's just a second layer on the map (it's possible to generate it with photoshop, it's just a <width*height*64>px image apply to the map).

The real "light object" system isn't in BrowEdit, don't know why.

Yeah its pretty interesting, but it is easy to just maneuver around. I am doing the idea / fix i proposed and it seems to work fine. The Lightmaps projected onto flat terrain will sustain AFTER sloping which is nice /oh

I wonder if the somewhat questionable systems in BrowEdit will be fixed... then again for as along as i was mapping, it was revision 620 ~

Thanks again for all the info guys!

You can try the BrowEdit 700 by RagnaBot team : http://www.broweditbr.eaplugin.org/index.php?showtopic=1 I don't know if lightmaps formula is different ...

• Upvote 1

Oh wow there is a different team continuing BrowEdit?? Thats really good to know, i will have to look through and see whats different between these revisions. (When im home, at work right now with no translation add on!! haha)

Thanks again, +1 for you /oh

Ah it seems that the revision 700 is not working hmm. Do you know where i can get a copy of it?

What kind of error ? If I remember, you have to configure it manually (the assistant isn't good), check data/configs/ro.xml