Understanding save time. What's your recommendation?

Gouki

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  241

Hi,

I just want to get more understanding with regards to saving logs. Basically my goal is to take off more load from the map server.

EX:
300 players at average

Question 1.)
Do you recommend increasing auto save time to make saving of files faster or making the auto save time lower than your average players so the map serve will save logs one at a time?
Will faster saving time make your map serve breathe more  (AUTOSAVE Time > AVG Players)
or, Slowing down the save time makes your map server take of more load? (AVG Players > AUTOSAVE Time)

Question 2.)
minsave_time: Will it be a good setting to increase the interval of saves to release load from the mapserve?

// Database autosave time
// All characters are saved on this time in seconds (example:
// autosave of 60 secs with 60 characters online -> one char is saved every 
// second)
autosave_time: 300

// Min database save intervals (in ms)
// Prevent saving characters faster than at this rate (prevents char-server 
// save-load getting too high as character-count increases)
minsave_time: 100

6 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  660

Heya,

This setting has no impact on the map-server. The character saving process is handled on the char-server, not the map-server. Anything SQL related is handled on the char-server to prevent "lagging" the map-server (and should be kept this way).

I wouldn't recommend increasing this value either. Anything past 5 minutes (300 seconds) can make you more vulnerable to "rollbacks" if the map-server crashes. If your character data hasn't been saved for more than X minutes, that can be annoying to deal with.

Cust my mapserver cpu usage is being unstable and what i'm noticing is that the mapserver stops when the cpu usage is high then suddenly it moves fast, like it gets stuck for a while then gets flushed. could it be hosting hardware issue? 

Here's my map server looks like full of saves, when your CPU Usage goes up could it be overloading the save process?

image.png.4ec693a2e7100a389232116276642e38.png

Well, htop would be more helpful here and you keeping an eye on it to see which process uses all your CPU.

3 minutes ago, Tokei said:

Well, htop would be more helpful here and you keeping an eye on it to see which process uses all your CPU.

Actually thats my problem the CPU Usage on htop..  sometimes my CPU Usage on mapserver goes as high as this 80% (Resulting to server lag). thats why im trying to remove load from the mapserver..

maybe you have recommendations? at normal its at 15% - 35%, but when my avg players go 275 - 300+ map serve cpu starts to get high..

image.png.3fef417dc36fbf881fb81654a77f2c1c.png

Edited by Almond Snicker

Hm, well the map-server is indeed the one struggling there. The easy solution is to upgrade your CPU to something better, but... you'd have to figure out what's draining so much power from the emulator. It feels rather high for such a population. The usual culprits are SQL usage (which doesn't appear to be case here? mysqld would show a spike there too) or bad scripts/instances. It'll be almost impossible to pinpoint your issue from the forums though.

• MVP 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  90

i assumed scriptings possibly, ? it led to cause consumed to much CPU % Usage. You should check your custom stuffs.
You got 300+ Players and you got dedicated server? You had like 81.9% CPU Usage (that map-server will crash at anytime).