Ragexe legal question?

knives420

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12

Hi there , My older brother is a moderator for a private server and after questioning him about something he agreed to let me use his account to post a quick legality questioning about the Ragnarok client.

I'm currently a high school student and i have always been interested i game design well more so of just making my own mmorpg, there lots of engines out there but allot of em would require months of coding to get to where i want, and to make this long story short my brother was messing around one day on Ragnarok only to find out he's not even playing a legal server, and the rest of that conversation landed me here.

and well after checking the game out and everything its pretty much what i'm looking for back end wise, and my question i need answered is, if i gutted all the sprites and images out of the client and replaced them with my own, and even changed the classes, would this still be illegal for me to distribute and sell? 

or if not would it be possible to create my own client from scratch? if so could someone point me in a direction to where i could begin? what programming language would the client have to be in? and possibly a list of on the commands i can send to the server?

i know doing this will take time but that's ok i got 4 years of high school left, and next year i get to go to vocation school for graphic design rather than being at school all day, and i think if i could get started on this now it would be a great project to work at until the end of my schooling,

• Group:  Content Moderator
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1676

Legally I suggest working on a new game :P

3 minutes ago, sader1992 said:

Legally I suggest working on a new game :P

so where do i begin building a new exe what language is it in ? what commands for input and the commands for output? am i limited to the same language for the client could i build it in another language? what would i need to dissect to client to get a reference how everything is handled?

i personally prefer c#

most of the games is c++

you can use a game engine like unity or Stingray

or you can start from 0

building a game is not as easy as it look like

i think anyone who in the developing world thought about it

but you would need a lot of thing not just programming you need a lot of designers with you

and even if you very good in something that your game work with it ,you will find things that you can't do them and you would need help

i would suggest using a game engine if you wanna build a game and i would suggest learning c c++ cuz you can do anything in them (they are not new)

and i would remind you about something

you know how you feel when you finish a game and you are so happy and you want to see every thing after the end ?

you remember all the names you sow in that game XD ?

if you want to build small game or even a big game and you don't have a lot of help with it i would suggest using game engine

you would need c# or javascript (both work)

(this if you are asking about making new game)

Edited by sader1992

btw for ragnarok you may want to see this

design

48 minutes ago, sader1992 said:

well design inst really an issues specialy with a game like this i could crank out sprite all day long with eas, i would use the same process i use for my flash games, make the model in blender or 3ds max and export as a picture simple decent looking and quick, and makes animations so much easier and smoother depending., the only language i somewhat handy in is c++ and that's only because of the unreal engine, as for other game engines, unity is just a no in my book not going into why, and about the only other engine available to me are,  hero engine maybe? not sure what the deal is with the license atm, torque engine but its mainly a FPS, and i don't know to many more outside of that, and again id be right back to where i am starting on creating the huge backed that is needed for a mmo, This is why im kind of adamant on having rathena as the backed and gutting the client or just recreating a new one to avoid the legal issue of it being their content, then all i'm doing at that point is just making a game and hooking it into rathena, this would let me spend most of my time on the actual content of the game cause the back end is there, i got effects i can use, stat points, skill system, pet system, item storage, authenticating, etc.... saving me from a massive amount of workload. idk maybe i just didn't phrase my question good enough and after proof reading sorry if i come of a bit mean i don't mean to.

guess at this point i need to figure out if i can just gut the content of the game, or build a client fro scratch and where to start that.

• Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  350

There's always an issue using someone's work,

To avoid legal issues, you have to make everything from scratch,

I suggest taking OpenGL / Vulcan for Graphics and C++ if you plan to start from scratch,

But using engines out there is way better time saver than making your own engine too.

• Upvote 1

so far i got a log in screen but i'm at a loss, on what authentication i need id imagine its md5, and how to send the login information, all i need at this point is a reference to what commands i need to send from my program to communicate with rathena, been using cheat engine to sift through packets from the official client but holy crap there is a ton of em.

• 4 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  350

Rathena has packet docs, you can just check on that, or find the packet parsing in the src,