map server connecting to multiple character servers

andybe

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10

from the wiki I gathered that the general line of communication is as following:

login<->char<->map

the login server holds all the login information. Character server login to the login servers too with their own special account. login servers can handle multiple character servers and character servers can handle multiple map servers 

1. Do the map servers use the same login data as the character servers? Or how are the map servers connected to the character servers?

This is important to me because I am working on a cross server platform.

there are several ways to make an implementation but modding the map server so it can connect to multiple character servers would seem like the most native approach to the already existing multiple map server per character server structure.

I know this is a little more advanced than the usual stuff =D but I'm confident in my programming skills - I just need a few pointers into the right direction as to where I should start looking for making the correct changes cause frankly rathena is a large project >_> and reading through the entirety of the code will take me quite a bit of time.

Edited by andybe

7 answers to this question

• Group:  Forum Moderator
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  898

I dont know about all alternatives but I know how a realm works.

Your Login Server is listen on port 6900.

Your 1st char server is listen on port 5121 and your 2nd char server on 5122. Both server are connected to the same login server.

Your 1st map server is listen on port 6121 and your 2nd map server on 6122. The 1st is connected to char server 5121 and the 2nd to 5122.

This method will make 2 server with the same login server. Now you can change your database settings. You are able to have the same login informations for both server but seperate characters, inventory or else.

Rynbef~

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  10

ty,

but I already know that....

That was not what i was asking :/

good news though I found chrif.c which defines map server to charserver communication ^_^

Edited by andybe

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  141

Why do you want multiple character servers?

The problem with multiple character server connected to one map server is that the map server assumes there's one character server, so when the map server needs something from the character server, there's only one file descriptor. If you have multiple character servers, you'd have to store the which fd a character is loaded from, then use that fd.

Another problem is if you have multiple character servers, they could use the same ids for characters, parties, guilds, etc, which will result in some undefined behavior.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1443

2 Character Servers would prove no benefit whatsoever, from what I can think of, Only server that could be useful to have 2 of is map IMO.

You can have multiple char servers, each connected to a separate map server,if you want two different servers with the same login.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1443

You can have multiple char servers, each connected to a separate map server,if you want two different servers with the same login.

I thought he's asking for 2 char sever connected to 1 map server which would be ugly

Yeah, I get that, that's what I wrote in my post above.

I was just saying that there is a use for multiple char servers, and that's having multiple map servers.