Do 1GB Ram Enough for Hosting Server?

rakuzas

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  459

Hi,

I hosted my server in VPS with 1GB.. We can play fine.. But I notice the memory usage is 70-80% when running all 3 server files.. So my question is, sometimes server lagging due low RAM or server location? Server kind of lag when WOE or have 10+ player at one time.. Is it my server internet problem or low RAM problem? If RAM, I need to upgrade into 2GB.. Thanks..

4 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1096

Hi,

I hosted my server in VPS with 1GB.. We can play fine.. But I notice the memory usage is 70-80% when running all 3 server files.. So my question is, sometimes server lagging due low RAM or server location? Server kind of lag when WOE or have 10+ player at one time.. Is it my server internet problem or low RAM problem? If RAM, I need to upgrade into 2GB.. Thanks..

install any server monitoring (newrelic for example) + any latency moniroing and check the reason of your lags.

1GB of ram at dedicated server or KVM virtualization is enough to host rAthena for more then 300 players online at the same time.

The only one lag problem is CPU & Latency, and I/O.

I see.. 1GB is enough.. My webhosting using SolusVM.. 1GB RAM.. Sometimes, I need to restart rathena about 2 days once.. If not, player will lagging.. Are automated event also the cause of this "lagging"? Thanks..

• Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1096

I see.. 1GB is enough.. My webhosting using SolusVM.. 1GB RAM.. Sometimes, I need to restart rathena about 2 days once.. If not, player will lagging.. Are automated event also the cause of this "lagging"? Thanks..

There are many reason of "lags", without monitoring you can't be sure what reason of your case problem.

Common issues are:

• overloaded node where hosted VPS. For example any OpenVZ virtualization usually overshared & overloaded at the same time.
  • Weird internet connection at hoster-side.
  • very bad i/o (disk), cpu.
  • too much logs enabled by default, very big database size...

How can you optimize your server to avoid a lot of lags:

1. Configure logging, do not log everything, configure in logs.conf only parameters of logging which is really important to you. Don't log each operation with items, just log most critical (cashpoint operation, mvp kills, item trades, etc)
  2. Check size of your database, and how many rows you have. If you have less then 20-30MB main database and less then 200-300MB log database it will be nice. If more -> just try to make backup first, then cleanup (truncate) some queries from the database.
  3. Try to find any good hosting with SSD & nice CPU and with nice network. There are a lot of such hosting providers with really nice price. (less then 15$ / mo). For example you can try Vultr just for experience and feeling how quality should looks like, when you will get very fast ssd + nice CPU + not overloaded VPS with nice network with nice price per month.
  4. never host website & game-server on the same VPS. website and game-server should be hosted on seperate servers.

There are really a lot of small things which need to check, but the fact in next, rAthena because of C programming language VERY optimized server-side emulator. Bottleneck of the server-side it's single-core architecture (for really powerful load (for example on the server with 1k dedicated online), and mysql querries. Anything else should not be a problem if you will have powerful server.

I see.. I host website and game server in same server.. Thanks for explaining.. Its helps me to understand..