Sprite limit size

SyncMaster

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  123

I was wondering if there is a limit for .spr in the game. I replace a .spr and .act that I had to a new picture. In the game I can see the picture, but when I select and log in the character that was already using the item the game crash. *Edit* And I would like to know if there is any limit for animated sprites, I found that the limit of frame was 8, but I want to confirm it.

Edited by SyncMaster

3 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  664

I was wondering if there is a limit for .spr in the game. I replace a .spr and .act that I had to a new picture. In the game I can see the picture, but when I select and log in the character that was already using the item the game crash. *Edit* And I would like to know if there is any limit for animated sprites, I found that the limit of frame was 8, but I want to confirm it.

From my own tests, the selection screen window as well as the equipment window cause issues with sprites depending on their location and their size. Images with more than 65536 pixels (which is around 256 by 256 pixels) have a high risk of crashing the client, especially Bgra32 images. If they're too high or too low, you can definitely expect a crash too.

There are no problems when actually wearing these sprites and moving around ingame, the bugs only start when you open up these two windows. I wasn't able to confirm the actual value limits though - they are "half guessed". On a side note, monster sprites do not appear to suffer from these limitations.

As for the second question, there are no limits for the amount of frames, as long as the amount is divisible by 3 for the animations 0 and 2 (Idle and Sit). This is because the client reads these two animations differently. If you have 15 frames, the first 5 will be used for the animation when the head is looking down, the next 5 are used when looking right (bottom left) and last 5 ones are for looking left (bottom right). Headgear sprites therefore have a minimum amount of 3 frames for these animations. When you said "8", I'm assuming it is actually 9 frames total, which is 3 for each head position and it should work out fine. If you want to add one more frame, you'll need 12 frames and etc.

Edited by Tokei
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  123

Thanks, :) I did
https://rathena.org/board/topic/100922-showcase-sasuke-susano-skeleton/

From my own tests, the selection screen window as well as the equipment window cause issues with sprites depending on their location and their size. Images with more than 65536 pixels (which is around 256 by 256 pixels) have a high risk of crashing the client, especially Bgra32 images. If they're too high or too low, you can definitely expect a crash too.

There are no problems when actually wearing these sprites and moving around ingame, the bugs only start when you open up these two windows. I wasn't able to confirm the actual value limits though - they are "half guessed". On a side note, monster sprites do not appear to suffer from these limitations.

As for the second question, there are no limits for the amount of frames, as long as the amount is divisible by 3 for the animations 0 and 2 (Idle and Sit). This is because the client reads these two animations differently. If you have 15 frames, the first 5 will be used for the animation when the head is looking down, the next 5 are used when looking right (bottom left) and last 5 ones are for looking left (bottom right). Headgear sprites therefore have a minimum amount of 3 frames for these animations. When you said "8", I'm assuming it is actually 9 frames total, which is 3 for each head position and it should work out fine. If you want to add one more frame, you'll need 12 frames and etc.

Just one more think, the sprites, on the game, stay in the front of the sprite. If I do something like a tail, for exemplo, I'll have to cut out a piece of the sprite or there is a way to put in the back?

Edited by SyncMaster

• Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  664

Just one more think, the sprites, on the game, stay in the front of the sprite. If I do something like a tail, for exemplo, I'll have to cut out a piece of the sprite or there is a way to put in the back?

You have to cut the sprite (or make it invisible, set the layer's sprite ID to -1). An alternative would be to use robe sprites instead : https://rathena.org/board/topic/72734-guide-custom-wings-at-robe-place/

• Upvote 1