Project Ragnarok

Azura Skyy

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  545

Project: Ohne Ragnarok (Online)

Welcome!

I'd like to share with you all the details of my server (currently in development of course). The server will be named Ohne RO. Originally the name Ohne RO was a tip of the hat to the 'Onaa RO' server that died in 2008- the first server I truly loved and played continually for over a year. The staff were friendly and involved, but not seen often (something I've learned to be important).

At the time of playing this server I was only fourteen and I didn't follow the Forums or the Staff. I don't really remember following the updates much either, but I do recall a single conversation I had with the Admin, Geno. Of the conversation we had over MSN (oh those were the days), I only remember his reply to one; 'Why is the server named Onaa?' to which he replied 'My friend said it means something in German, but I don't remember what."

Onaa... Onaa... Onaa... Ohne? I spent my first years in school attending the Milwaukee German Immersion School and considered myself to be semi-fluent in German. The word was Ohne and it means without, and so Ohne became the name of our server. It wouldn't be until sometime later that I decided that the name could have more unique meaning to us.

Ohne Ragnarok == Without Ragnarok

It seems that Gravity did a wonderful job of taking Norse Mythology and broadening and molding it into their own unique story, but I felt they abandoned key parts of it for too long and they needed revisiting- why couldn't I complete them?

For those of you unfamiliar with Norse Mythology, it is based in the Prose Edda and the Poetic Edda where the details of the lives of the God's and the events of Ragnarok are foretold; Ragnarok being the event where many of the God's die and the world more/less falls apart, which brings us to Ohne. Without Ragnarok- preventing the cataclysm described in the Prose Edda.

Beauty of Lore

My biggest fear for the success in my server is the faith I have to have in my own writing for players to accept it and enjoy it. It's important to understand how to give information organically.

Hi there. I'm NPC#3. Welcome to TownX. This is the town's history. These are our issues. Help us!

The above example feels very forced. If NPC#3 were about to send me on a quest, it may make sense for him to offer me any information he has on what I may face, but he has to give it concisely. Players enjoy being immersed, but will recognize if it is forced. I am somewhat fortunate that Gravity's lore is so wonderful and leaves room to build.

The building tensions between the Arunafeltz States and Rune-Midgarts leave enough room to build a multi-episode story-line continuation. Not only do we have these two religious factions growing at odds, but we have Rekenber's looming strength to consider and their power, with Kiel backing them.

Laughing At Yourself

Of course, being a lore-heavy server doesn't mean we have to forget to have fun. In fact, I think the story gives us better opportunities. I come from a decade of playing RuneScape and I found that the British developers at Jagex had a sense of humor I could get behind. In RuneScape, most objects have an 'examine' option (similar to the descriptions of items in RO). Examine information can be literal examine rock 'It's a rock,' or it can be a cultural reference. One such NPC in RuneScape, 'Astlayrix' features the examine text, 'He'll never give up and he'll never let you down,' a reference to Rick Astley's 'Never Gonna Give You Up' song (Rick Roll). Other such examine texts include a skeleton, 'He died of natural causes, like a massive dragon or something."

Adding small touches like this isn't our only way of having fun though. We plan to feature a plethora of NPCs in our custom hometown that exist solely for the sake of humor or stand in reference to rAthena community member's who's scripts/maps/files we are using (free release or otherwise).

Inspired by the desire to make a funny with fourth wall breaking capability, this NPC, Sceoul, is based on my sister. Her dialogue suggests that her brother's literally 'Own this place,' and the disappearance is a reference to the @kill and @ban command used to kill and remove a player from the server respectively.

Further conversation allows the player to ask 'Like what?' or 'Walk Away.'
Asking 'Like what?' results in Sceoul instantly killing the player with a very satisfying sound and efficiency.

Officially my favorite NPC.

PzXebEw.png

No Spoilers

It's safe to say that I don't plan to release all the details of my story-line before I've launched my server and given my own players months to enjoy the content, but I will share my teaser.

Ohne RO Episode 1.0
Shortly after adventurers left the capital city of Rachel, the world seemed to grow in optimism for the future peace between the Arunafeltz States and Rune Midgarts, however, unrest lurks in the fertile deserts of Freyan blessed, Onaa, where the head of the city fears for the future of his country and all of Midgard. Delve into a long branching story to prevent the events of Ragnarok.

I guess my project isn't as elaborate or crazy a the Sword Art RO server being developed, but it is unique in a sense. There are dozens of servers that offer the same PvP scenarios with a few custom maps and NPCs- maybe even a special dungeon, but those things aren't what your players will remember. Give them something a Community can build themselves around and follow Skrom's advice!

I'm here to tell you that you're not alone in your dreams. All of us here at rAthena aspire for something. You shouldn't be so concerned about the players... Make an RO server for you be selfish in mind but kind in nature and develop something unique and interesting to you.

Thanks for reading,
~Azura Skyy

I'm sorry if this turned into a server advertisement.

Edited by AzuraSkyy
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  281

very nice :)
Good luck  /no1