At Home Private Server

Renzadic

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  35

Whats up community,

First off I'm going to let everyone know , I just got back into ragnarok online. I use to own servers in the past but from eathena. I'm new to rathena and need to know a few things. These things consist of the following.

- Port forwarding (further explained below)

- Setting up client side

As for the most part looking around the SVN's look the same in setting up the server side using unix and compiling and such. But this time since I'm hard on cash until people donate towards the server i decided to use the desktop that is sitting at waste in my basement which meets server standards. Below are the specs.

- Ubuntu Unix 64bit Version

- AMD Dual Core 2.3GHZ

- 8GB Of Memory

- 800GB of HDD Space

- 20MB Download and 10MB upload internet capabilitys

As for the port forwarding of course is quite self explaining as I'm using my home modem/router to have people connect to this dedicated computer. This i have no idea on how to set up nor configure which i could use a little help. Either that or making it so my server IP doesn't change when it updates it self.

For the client part of things i need help also since I am just getting back into ragnarok and things have changed a little so links to diffs and clients to patch would be helpful.

I appreciate the time for the community to read this cause I'd really like to get back into designing and running a custom private server. 

Edited by UnixEnthusiast

5 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1096

5$ server host

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  35

5$ server host

yeah,

i decided it would probably be the best since all the security and internet issues it would probably cost in order to run the server off my desktop guess ill be using it as the main computer now.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  10

Hiya man, I've recently just gotten into the "let's setup me own server" business. I have a nice server here at home and a lovely 80/20 connection :D. However due to the hassle of actually losing my own net connection to this I just went ahead and rented a server, so much easier!!

Take a look around and you can grab a fairly sweet vps for less than $10 a month. https://www.linode.com/

As for clients and such, everything you need can be found right here on the forum, just take a look round :D.

Also use the wiki, it's been perfect for me.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  528

It make no sense to host a server at your home. Because the server have to be online 24/7 that means a cumputer need 100 watt each hour for energy.

Let's thing your pc needs only 60watt.

60 Watt x 24h = 10.37 € each month (= 126.14 € in a year) only for the energy to run.

I have calculated with 0,24 Euro for 1 kWh. Because that is the price atm in Germany.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  38

im using ec2 amazon for free vps xd. already have my server  for almost 3 mouths 24/7 online and only payed 1€ at registration xd. On free tier u have 750hr/mounth for 1 year, just make shure after registration u remove your credit card info to make shure u wont pay anything, even if it says ur bill is 9999999999$ they wont cancel ur vps and u wont pay anything since u removed ur credit card info and with the free vps u can easy make the server 500-1k players, i tested the uploads and is 200mb

Edited by moraru