Questions about RO

guacamole

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4

1) Ragnarok is an old game (11 years?), how long until it becomes public domain? So all the sprites, textures and everything else could be used without restrictions.

2) How hard would it be to change the architecture of the emulator so it would be similar to LoL or Dota 2? Or and MMO architecture, where the server decides what can be done and do all the math, reducing cheating and eliminating things like nodelay since the client doesn't have much power.

3) I've been away from the emulator and RO for 3 years or more. Is RO1 still getting updates? Gravity have any plans to abandon it?

4) 3rd classes were a failure, right?

Edited by guacamole

• Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1335

• 1 - Ragnarok is an old game, but that doesn't means it will be public just for that reason. It is developed every day just as how it was everytime. Its like if you say that World of Warcraft that is almost old as RO, would be public one day... no way.

2 - Well.. very hard. You need plenty of people with specific skills to work together and reach a goal like that.

3 - The fact that you have been away of the emulator doesn't means RO has died :P as I said, it has updates every week maybe? and how possible Gravity would abandon his -prior-  and more rentable game?

4 - Nope they were not a failure.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1445

1) Ragnarok is an old game (11 years?), how long until it becomes public domain? So all the sprites, textures and everything else could be used without restrictions.

2) How hard would it be to change the architecture of the emulator so it would be similar to LoL or Dota 2? Or and MMO architecture, where the server decides what can be done and do all the math, reducing cheating and eliminating things like nodelay since the client doesn't have much power.

3) I've been away from the emulator and RO for 3 years or more. Is RO1 still getting updates? Gravity have any plans to abandon it?

4) 3rd classes were a failure, right?

1. Not really, not going to happen i believe
  2. How hard? huh you would need a complete develope team, for core and database, also graphic/mappers if you need new maps/sprites
  3. RO 1 still get updates. For plans and more you can refer to this website (the official one): http://www.gravity.co.kr/index.asp
  4. Not really. A lot of people likes them, i personally love Warlocks, massive damage yeah ! 

:)

• Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  270

1. They have copyright laws, it does not become public domain, not in our lifetime, unless they decide to go in that direction with their game. Highly unlikely.

2. I would not even bother turning the current emulator into an engine to run something similar to LoL or Dota2. You would have more success using your own engine and marketing it as a new MOBA game that is free to play rather than marketing it to the RO community.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4

I wasn't talking about making RO a moba game. Some MOBA/MMO games have a complex server-side architecture, where most things are decided by the server and this helps with the cheating problem. Like a thin client. The RO client have too much power.