[Server OS] WinServer or Linux

Vincent

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  130
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  528

Hello,

i am using Windows Server 2008 as operating System for my vServer. But i have some problems with my server and cant fix them. So my question is: Is the problem maybe the Server OS?

Is there any expirience that there are problem's with the winOS? 

Edited by Thor v2

10 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  298

based on the  topic title, i prefer linux :) 

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  66

It is actually a user preference. Windows and Linux has it's difference.

But I would choose Linux over Windows because it's easy to maintain and debug, plus memory allocation is good.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  707

Hi Thor v2,

To answer your question; I do not believe the server OS is the issue. Perhaps you do not have everything installed which is required to compile the emulator?

As the other posters have mentioned; Linux is better, I would recommend that you consider switching.

I compail the emulator with  Visual Studio 210 Express c++.

Can you also say me why linux is better? Is there any problem when i am a rookie at linux. because of the server security ect?!

Can you also say me why linux is better? Is there any problem when i am a rookie at linux. because of the server security ect?!

Hi Thor v2,

It's simply because Linux is not resource hungry, and actually easy to use (once you spend a small time with it).

Windows requires more CPU/RAM/IO to run as an operating system, which degrades the performance of your service. Linux is a minimal OS which does not require hardly any CPU/RAM/IO; for example... Debian Minimal only requires <20MB of RAM to run. So the resources of your server can be concentrated on other services you run on your server instead; such as an Athena emulator, MySQL, or a webserver.

Installing on Windows requires you to search for installers for whatever you are trying to install (.exe/.msi/etc.), but with Linux; it's as easy as typing 1 line of command...

For example; a Debian based OS uses 'apt-get', so you'd just type: apt-get install mysql-server. And that single command line, would install a MySQL server in 2-3 minutes on your service.

Also, if you want a visual interface to move your mouse around for point n' click action; just install a Desktop Environment such as FluxBox (<15MB RAM), or GNOME (~120MB RAM). There are tons of Desktop Environments which vary in RAM usage, and you can choose what you want to easily install with the command line. Then simply use a program such as VNC Viewer to connect.

Lastly; Linux Servers cost less than Windows Servers. There's no licensing fee for Linux OS, so it's cheaper to use. 

• Upvote 1

Hi Thor v2,

It's simply because Linux is not resource hungry, and actually easy to use (once you spend a small time with it).

Windows requires more CPU/RAM/IO to run as an operating system, which degrades the performance of your service. Linux is a minimal OS which does not require hardly any CPU/RAM/IO; for example... Debian Minimal only requires <20MB of RAM to run. So the resources of your server can be concentrated on other services you run on your server instead; such as an Athena emulator, MySQL, or a webserver.

Installing on Windows requires you to search for installers for whatever you are trying to install (.exe/.msi/etc.), but with Linux; it's as easy as typing 1 line of command...

For example; a Debian based OS uses 'apt-get', so you'd just type: apt-get install mysql-server. And that single command line, would install a MySQL server in 2-3 minutes on your service.

Also, if you want a visual interface to move your mouse around for point n' click action; just install a Desktop Environment such as FluxBox (<15MB RAM), or GNOME (~120MB RAM). There are tons of Desktop Environments which vary in RAM usage, and you can choose what you want to easily install with the command line. Then simply use a program such as VNC Viewer to connect.

Lastly; Linux Servers cost less than Windows Servers. There's no licensing fee for Linux OS, so it's cheaper to use. 

Sounds nice. I dont thing that i will have problem with the install of random programms. But how it is with the security, is there a lot of change to be done`?

Hi Thor v2,

Security is better on Linux than Windows. As long as you don't share your password, and you have an actual good password; you should be okay. Setting up the firewall is fairly easy, you can use CSF; http://configserver.com/cp/csf.html

All you need to do is install it, and configure it by editing "/etc/csf/csf.conf"; everything is well explained for the options presented in that .conf file. After doing so; your Linux server is protected.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the great infos. I give you a +Reb. for this :)

I see you a hosting provider.

How is the perfomance for player all of ther world? Russ, Brasil, india and Germany? I am looking for a new because at the moment brasil have high ping and so lag.

Hi Thor v2,

I am not sure about Russia, however, we have no issues with lag for Europe/Brazil/India. If interested, I would recommend trying out our Trial packages first; https://asurahosting.com/index.php?/cart/trial-service/

The DDoS Protected package located in Dallas is best for Brazil; however, if you are thinking of purchasing a package and want a Standard service: we can make sure you have a good connection to Brazil as well.

Thanks i will test my skills at linux local at a virtual server befor i reinstall everything.