Applying custom textures to rsm model

The Architect

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20

Hi everybody !

I have another problem with BrowEdit ! (I know, I know... I have tons of problems and so few solutions... xD)

1] First of all, I can't see my custom textures in BrowEdit.

1. I have created my custom textures according to the required parameters : 256x256 or 512x512 px, 24 bit depth and 71 dpi,
  2. I have added them to a custom .grf with the data/texture/my_custom_textures directory tree,
  3. My ro.xml is well configured, reading my custom grf then my main grf,
  4. I have rebuilt my textures index file with BrowEdit (as administrator.... thanks to f.ck.ng Vista!)

-> After that, I can't see my custom textures in BrowEdit, although I have done the same thing for models and I can see them...

2] Then when I try to apply textures to my custom models, I have noticed that I have lost the UV mapping. When I convert .3ds file to .rsm I still have problem (I think) with the converter because the last message displayed by the console is "Loaded 3ds model, writing rsm"

Is the UV mapping attached to the geometry or to the texture ?

Thanks for the help... /sob

Edited by The Architect

9 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1335

For:

1 - You forgot to mention about editing: browedit/data/texturescustom.txt and add there your custom textures, following the examples on it. If you didn't make this, I'm sure this is the reason why you can't see your textures in brow.

2 - The UV Mapping is attached to the geometry of your model. If you downloaded that model from the internet, probably you will have the UVW mapping included, but, sometimes it isn't. To be sure, go to 3DS Max, select your model ---> Modifiers ---> Unwrap UVW. Then in the right panel, go to "Open UV Editor" and look if there is any data in the UV viewport. If there isn't any, that means your model is missing UVW mapping.

In case it is missing it, you will have to UVW Map your model for each perspective, although just for a Front view is the most of cases enough.

Thanks for your answer Olrox.

1] Mea culpa, I forgot to tell that I had edited the texturescustom.txt. So, it's not the reason of my issue... :mellow:

*Fixed* : Checking my texturescustom.txt, I noticed that my path was wrong... As I generated the path by clicking "Rebuild texture file" in BrowEdit, I forgot to change the RO/my_directory\my_texture.bmp|my_directoy\my_texture.bmp into custom/my_directory\my_texture.bmp|my_directoy\my_texture.bmp... I'm so stupid.

2] I have edited the UVW coordinates in Max, unwrapping and moving the masks at center square (representing my texture file I guess). So that not the problem.

Nevermind. It was based on my 2013 3DS Max model, I will do it again under the 2010 version entirely and see...

Thank you for your help. /no1

Edited by The Architect

3DS Max 2013 generated .3ds models have a weird bug at applying textures. You have to:

Import your 2013 .3ds to ---> 3DS Max 7,8 or 9 and export to .3ds, then convert it into rsm.

It's what I had done. :(

Edited by The Architect

After you convert 3ds to rsm, you have to go to rsm editor in brow, and open your generated rsm model.

In the screen you'll see only white, cause the model doesn't have textures. Look to the right pannel and you will see the names of your original 3ds files (or sorth of them) What you have to do is, in order beginning from the first click each of the boxes, and find your custom texture. then continue until you finish. Remember, it is in order.

Then save it

I already had done that too.

I have a question about UVW mapping : Why the masks in UVW editor are out of the square when opening it, and why should we regroup every mask in this square ? Indeed, when I import a 3DS model found on the internet textures are correctly applied at the first opening of the UVW editor, and after moving the masks I need to adjust the displacement of the materials and the covering ratio.

I think the conversion tool doesn't take in account the covering ratio and the displacement applied to the material... /?

Edited by The Architect

Because ragnarok rsm doesn't support endless repetitive UVW Maps across the planar scene. If you have that Map out of that box, it means you are repeating.

So covering ratio must stay at 1.00 too ?!

Edited by The Architect

I Don't know what you mean by covering ratio.