BrowEdit, the Edge of the Map?...

Azura Skyy

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  545

While using BrowEdit, I've noticed that when opening most city maps from grf, they have a border of one or several empty textures before the actual models and textures are applied.

What is the point of that? Do I need to leave a 1x area around my map blank for some reason? Are there any benefits or negative repercussions of not doing this?

I just don't want to finish the edges of my map and find out that I have to remove a portion.

Thanks in advance,
~Azy

6 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1245

IMO, I've just stuck with magenta in all of my current map projects. It provides proper shadows for both colored & non-colored lightmaps & doesnt create a fade-out effect. Yes, you can use no-draw zones and just remove bad lighting at the edges. However, a fast approach is to just use magenta (1x1) border. The choice is really yours tho when it comes down to how you wish to present your map.

• Upvote 1

Watch this BrowEdit tutorial covering the difference between applying a 1x1 borders to a map. It has quite an effect on shadows & shades ->

• Upvote 1

So in all cases, would you agree that a magenta draw zone is best? Currently, I have no draw zone on my South and West borders (which I have fully textured and full of objects. The North/East regions of my map haven't been touched yet. So, can I simply add the draw zones to the North/East and remove any bad lighting on the edges?

if it helps, the North ends with a mountainous region, climbing up from the base of a city, and the East is the edge of the city (wtih the South Eastern bit being the edge of a body of water (so that you can't even see the South Eastern edge)).

Thanks for your reply, and any future replies,
~Azy

But ultimately, the border will only effect the North and East sides right? So don't only those sides need the border, or am I misunderstanding his video?

Yes the borders of North & East directions will only be affected. There is another element I should have tested and that's changing the longitude & latitude angle for global lighting settings & how that has an effect on shadows produced.

Thanks so much, Syouji.

~Azy