@warp case-sensitivity

Cookie

@warp case-sensitivity  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  213

bugreport:5719

We've already got approval from the following:

• Lighta
  • mkbu95
  • Cookie
  • Brian
  • Euphy

I've decided to open a thread for us to discuss/come up with a resolution as to how we want to handle it instead of continuing to discuss in the bug report. It has been open since 09 May 2012 - 04:02 AM and it's really not something that should take months to pass through.

@Lighta's suggestion for handling it:

Think lowercase by default is the best option since since gravity have this kind of nomenclature.

We may add a -f (force) option to disable tolower if server owner have some map wich ain't all lowercase.

That how I,d do it

@mkbu95's suggestion for handling it:

I agree that we do this:

- Check if the map exists the way it was written;

- If not, TOLOWER and check again;

- If not, then display the map was not found.

That's my opinion, though.

@Brian's suggestion for handling it:

How about when loading maps, convert all names TOLOWER and in memory store them in lowercase. Then all functions that look up map names just convert TOLOWER, then lookup map.

While not a big deal, we may as well figure out the way we'd like to go about implementing the fix/change.

Personally, I agree with @mkbu95 on how we should handle it.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2997

+1 for mkbu95's idea.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1315

Throwing my own idea in.

Why not just ignore case sensitivity all together similar to @go? I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to put two maps in that has the same name but different letter cases.

• Upvote 1

Throwing my own idea in.

Why not just ignore case sensitivity all together similar to @go? I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to put two maps in that has the same name but different letter cases.

I agree. However, mkbu's idea is good as it checks for all possibilities. I always like integrity checks.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1315

Wouldn't mkbu's idea ignore certain letter casing?

Here's an example of how I understand mkbu's idea to work..correct me if I'm wrong.

Map exists as: aSdfg

User: @warp asDfg

Server: Since asDfg doesn't exists, turns it into asdfg, searches for asdfg and since asdfg doesn't exists and outputs "Map not found" thus frustrating the user.

If casing is ignored, then whatever letter casing is used, as long as it matches letter per letter it would warp you there.

Well, if we present the original output as searched for it wouldn't (if we're presenting the output to the displaymessage). We may just be complicating the check, in itself. Honestly, the point was the fact all maps are lowercase. I'm not very picky on the decision, but we shouldn't keep it in limbo is all. :P

• Topic Count:  72
  • Content Count:  2997

Arcenciel has a good point. A more realistic example, map name = Main_Town. I don't know how many people would include caps in their map names, but it's not as rare as we might think.

Agreed. I think mkbu's point was to check just in case - in my opinion, it wouldn't hurt. Arceniel has a good point though.

Edit:

With all that said, we'll see what everyone else has to say.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  341

+1 for Arcenciel's idea.

• Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2223

I vote for storing all maps as lowercase, so mapname lookups are case-insensitive (Arcenciel's idea).

oops I replied in the bugreport before I read this topic.

How about when loading maps, convert all names TOLOWER and in memory store them in lowercase. Then all functions that look up map names just convert TOLOWER, then lookup map.
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  737

Before storing in memory all in lowercase you may have conflict in .dat, like I could add Town.gat and town.gat with this idea of storing we would overwritte the oldest file in memory.

I think it's the best idea for easiest search after but we need to throw a big error if we found same name.

Otherwise I prefer mkbu95 idea of fallback but could be long to cover all case by that.

nb : need to edit poll for Arcenciel idea I think

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  554

Either way we go, we're going to miss out on something, and I don't see why we're attempting to cater to a VERY small minority of people. (which might even be non-existant. I've never known a single server to name a map Town and towN)

+1..why not we just let things stay as is...and let users be strictly guided by using/typing map names the way it was created/named..

and for a second thought why would I typed uppercase/camel case/pascal case or any cases for typing map names if my keyboard default is small case(unless the server owner requires me)...:)

:meow:

I'm not very picky about the outcome of this whether or not we change it. However, we should come up with an ultimatum based on votes. I'll go ahead and alter the poll to include the following above.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  737

I think the pool need to be restarted since the last option was insert way after, (people had already voted...)

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  148

Well indeed Arcenciel has a point, that was the fallback #3 or #4, permutate thru all the letters (Prontera, pRontera, PRontera, ...) --but if there is a goddamn fast permutation algorithm we could try to see the impact x)

Jokes aside, I haven't seen anyone creating a map My_Map, but what I'm thinking is:

- It's really difficult to have a map with uppercase;

- Even if it has, the chances that the player will type e.g. my_Map instead of My_Map are really low IMO;

- Doing the first check, we would cover these both cases. I know that it would'nt cover everything (Arcenciel's post), but I think it would cover most cases.

I'd say everyone re-vote on the poll (with all discussed being taken into account), and we'll get a new total for votes as I've changed my views hearing everyone's sides myself. I believe some of you are on the same boat as me in that regard.

Poll totals reset to 0 just now. Delete your vote, & re-vote!

Assigned to @mkbu95. Marked as started.

We're going to do mkbu95's suggestion per Euphy and my request. Other methods can cause unintended results.

Thank you. mkbu will update this thread, and 'Mark as Implemented' when finished.