Q: InnoDB vs MyISAM

Euro

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26

I have read this article (http://www.kavoir.com/2009/09/mysql-engines-innodb-vs-myisam-a-comparison-of-pros-and-cons.html) but it's written september 2009, I don't know if I can still rely on the above information..

So Which is better? InnoDB or MyISAM??

Edited by Euro

3 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51

From what I've read on the site you've linked to, I'd say InnoDB is better when hosting a server.

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3123

This has been discussed over and over, and even recently amongst the staff. There's no real improvements to be gained with the setup we have at the moment.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm currently helping a guy upgrade his server and speed it up a bit and I must say, switching to InnoDB would be a very wise idea. Not only has the performance improved significantly over the last few years, but most importantly, the native InnoDB driver has support for modifying indexes without locking tables (they're kept separately now). Then there's key compression and so on which all help reduce CPU and query times.

Also, I'm seeing several places where the queries could be improved by adding/changing indexes. For example the login table when used in joins I see a lot causes a lot less overhead if you "ADD INDEX accountstatelevel (`account_id`, `state`, `level`), ADD INDEX
 `level` (`level`)". The global_reg_value table can be sped up a hell of a lot with a few extra indexes also.