[Collection/Showcase] Sage Crowley's Map Workshop

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  111

Sup homies.

I've been mostly lurking this board for ages now, and making RO maps pretty much since Browedit's first public release, figured I may as well start showing off a couple of my projects. I'm just going to put everything I make in those one thread for the sake of not flooding the entire board, because I start and finish projects pretty quickly, or get distracted and move onto new ones. I'll update this thread every now and then, even though a dozen and a half things are pulling my focus and attention in different ways these days. I just spent a few minutes screencapping about fifty or so images, so uh, without further ado, here's what I've been hammering away at lately.

ADDENDUM: Everything I'm showing here was started in 2012. My previous computer with three or four years worth of other maps was stolen last November so all that is pretty much as good as gone. Doesn't bother me too much though, I've improved so much since then it's not even funny. If I ever find a copy of all that stuff on one of the external drives I have lying around, I'll make a separate thread for it.

THE HARBOR OF NEW ALBERTA:

Some background on this one: Alberta's being used for quite a few things right now on the server I play, but I always thought it was a pretty awful looking map, so my main focus right now is completely revamping the place to look like not crap. It has new fields, interiors, and tons of things, but for now I'll just show off the two main districts (entire town is four maps.) I gotta finish this place by the first week of June.

Overview of the entire city so far.

]The HQ for a guild of adventurers.

An outdoor dining area with a dancefloor.

A busy street with some market stalls and crazy pipes.

This is exactly as tedious to map as it looks.

So is this. Maybe someone should've went to art school instead of becoming a plumber.

A nice view of the main hangout area beneath the tree, in the park, by a clocktower.

The base of operations of Alberta's Chivalry Knights and a forge.

A quaint church and a not-so-quaint guillotine.

A view of homes with actual back yards. They're a bit barren but I'll change them up as actual people move in.

Some residential city streets with a passageway into the underground...

Some crazy pipes at the docks. Don't ask how, but a lot of those will be walkable if you can high jump.

A particularly long dock. This one will lead to towns like Amatsu, Louyang, Gonryun, and similarly themed places.

Don't trip.

Man I hate making walls and slopes.

A very small park and market right by the water.

Another view of the busy main street just above~

Where everybody knows your name~

City hall and the library. Fancy stuff!

A little market and park down by the shipyard. WIP.

A comically oversized chessboard! I suck at chess and heavy lifting.

The boardwalk!

One corner of the shipyard. It's like the market except less organized.

The main road through the shipyard... This area is pretty WIP, need to go at least 104% crazier with detail mapping.

How did you get up there, flowerpot?

THE MERCENARY GUILD:

Here's a pretty elaborate little building in New Alberta, though it's in one of the districts I've barely started mapping yet. Been using a useless building in the default Alberta map to access it until now. Some parts are done but others are very WIP as the place is getting a bit of an upgrade from its current form ingame soon. These are screenshots from the latest version. Story-wise, this building used to be a wine distillery and a mansion. These are some classy killers.

A good view of the main hall. There's a tavern, eating areas, and a stage.

The other side of the main hall. There are stairs that lead to a wine cellar and a pool table. A real pool table! Not a custom model, I just macgyvered it.

A nice stage for shows, possible of the risqué variety.

The dormitory. Yeah, I usually save lightmapping for last. Basically it'll just be lots and lots of beds and chests. The garage door leads to the workshop in the back.

Work in progress shot of the workshop in back, home to the resident mad scientist and grease monkey dynamic duo.

The dwelling of the resident voodoo lady.

The place she sleeps in. Needs a few more models. These rooms are part of a side building, hence why the architecture seems different.

Boiler room, with stairs. A bit of a mess, but it's a boiler room.

The apartment of one of the company officers, work in progress.

The main room.

His sleeping quarters and reading area. He has a young daughter, hence the toys.

Another apartment on the third floor of the building, occupied by two female officers as roommates.

The main room with a kitchen and work area. Why the pirate chairs? They're bloody mercenaries.

And the sleeping quarters. They say a person's room says a lot about them.

THE CITY OF ZHUNAN:

Big city in the far east, and a regional capital. I finished this one in about two weekends (that is, about four days) at the request of one of the GMs on the server I play. The specifications I got were basically a castle in the center with a wall around it, so while this was a requested map, I pretty much had total creative freedom in this. City is completely finished but I may revisit it this summer to improve lightmaps (I just casted shadows, nothing overly fancy) and to add some fields to it.

An overview of the entire town. Fancy! I tried going for an ancient Chinese vibe without just making the place Louyang 2.0.

That's one big castle!!

A small dark corner of town... How tranquil!

Part of the great Zhunan market, it makes up a sizable portion of town.

A view of the best tavern in town and another part of the market.

This is the waterfront village. It'd make a nice place to live!

The northwestern part of town.

That's still one big castle.

The castle's main hall. It doesn't match the shape of the outside building, but oh well, no one was particularly bothered by that.

The east side of the throne room, near the library. Will definitely add more detail whenever I revisit this region, but I was a little rushed to make my previous deadline.

The western half. Much more militaristic!

The great royal library. Will definitely touch up lightmaps in here like I said, but it's not a priority for the foreseeable future.

The royal dining room. I think there are more chairs here than players on the server.

The lower floor of the Zhunan inn, it also has a shop.

The lower floor of the tavern. Bottoms up!

I pass up no opportunities to use that amazing bear rug, shoot me.

One of seven (7!) private inn rooms upstairs. They're all the same except for the painting.

The storage room next to the tavern. Look at all that booze...

A cozy dojo-like home in the waterfront village.

A pair of chummy soldier statues at the inn. These were really popular among a lot of people!

The original drinking soldier statue at the tavern. These aren't custom models, I just played with the positioning of the disembodied arm and head models. That mug was made for that hand! Look at it!

THE SOUTHWEST TROPICS:

This is a little expansion project I started a few months ago, and I'll get back to it... Whenever it's in demand. These are intended to be fields for cities like Jawaii, Brasilis, Comodo, all those type of towns.

A field map for Jawaii, accessible by boat!

Hey, there's a boat now!

A very lovely coral reef by some sunken ruins- They will definitely be a dungeon when I return to this project.

A marvelous haven for fearsome pirates! Yarr, matey.

Another shot of the reef and ruins...

The jungle that makes up most of the field... Who doesn't love flowers?

A field map of Brasilis... What a dense jungle!

A great half-built bridge... I was very proud of myself with this one.

Here's the road that will take you back to town.

Some sort of mining operation... Mother nature disapproves!

The city of Tortuga... I was just playing around with Cat Island since I always thought it was beyond silly. A little lazy, not sure if I'll finish this or not- I was just messing around.

This is the stuff of pirates, yarr.

Complaints about Malangdo aside, I can't deny a deep love of that ruined ship in the center.

Another Brasilis field... Open, semi-arid, and full of flowers!

A lovely lake and a boat...

An overview of that field.

And just for fun, the two Brasilis fields I have completed stitched together. Map continuity is something I'm very particular about!

MISCELLANEOUS MAPS:

Here are some maps I never quite finished or lost interest in but might be interesting to see anyway. Probably won't return to any of these, but oh well.

A house with a scrapyard out front, this is part of a village in the unused void east of Aldebaran.

Whatever I finished of the village.

Man, I almost feel bad for not finishing this.

An abandoned theater... Someone ought to clean up!!

A mostly done but undetailed "North District" for Prontera, made because I hate Prontera. A lot of the spirit that gave birth to this has gone into New Alberta, many times over.

More of that village... Eugh, Yeah, I'll finish it someday.

Some sort of workshop. A lot of the inspiration for this has transferred over to the workshop at the mercenary guild HQ.

My friend and biggest fan has been nagging me to make a snow map, so I whipped this up in about two minutes to shut her up. Don't ask me how to do pretty skies in brow, that's an image edit.

That's all for now. Come back later.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1245

Nice maps Sage. I can see you put a lot of detail and terrain edits to make your maps look natural. I like your extension maps for Jawaii and the south tropics. Overall, well done. =)

• Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  374

Our great patience to make it all very cool that I enjoyed the first ta very expensive city maps show its 5000/10

• Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  236

Nice work keep it up :)/no1